Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alec Jackson
(12-07-2018, 11:21 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Just read he's not in the best of health and will be receiving his cap before tonight's game. A Tipton bloke that stayed here and supped regularly in the George & Dragon and Shepherds Cottage. Give him a big cheer.
My boyhood hero. I remember going to his parents' house in Laburnam Road, just off Upper Church Lane, to get his autograph and coming back to tell everybody that Alec had a new Mini parked outside!
My dad scouted for the Albion in the 50's and 60's and had been tipped off to go and watch a works match where Alec was playing. When he got there and saw this skinny little kid, he didn't hold out too much hope. After the match, though, he recommended him straight away.
Alec had a good career, but, like a few others at the time, enjoyed his beer a bit too much to be super fit.
He must have lived (and probably still does) somewhere near Victoria Park because in later years he used to come down to Dad's in Waterloo Street for big TV matches - and he still liked a drink!
Lovely bloke - give him a good cheer!
Koumas won’t ever turn up for his, shame as we all loved him.
(12-07-2018, 02:04 PM)74bus Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 11:21 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Just read he's not in the best of health and will be receiving his cap before tonight's game. A Tipton bloke that stayed here and supped regularly in the George & Dragon and Shepherds Cottage. Give him a big cheer.
My boyhood hero. I remember going to his parents' house in Laburnam Road, just off Upper Church Lane, to get his autograph and coming back to tell everybody that Alec had a new Mini parked outside!
My dad scouted for the Albion in the 50's and 60's and had been tipped off to go and watch a works match where Alec was playing. When he got there and saw this skinny little kid, he didn't hold out too much hope. After the match, though, he recommended him straight away.
Alec had a good career, but, like a few others at the time, enjoyed his beer a bit too much to be super fit.
He must have lived (and probably still does) somewhere near Victoria Park because in later years he used to come down to Dad's in Waterloo Street for big TV matches - and he still liked a drink!
Lovely bloke - give him a good cheer!

Great story and a reminder of why the club is so important to all of us. My Dad also knew Alec Jackson, although not enough to tell a tale. As a star struck kid I remember Astle living down by Charlemont, he was a regular in WestBromwich Labour club.   Bomber was over Walsall way (I think), Bobby Hope was Edgbaston, (again I think. -  My Aunt knocked about with his missus!). Even after that, Bryan Robson lived sort of behind the Scott Arms and used to run to training at Spring Rd. to save the bus fare. These days I don't think any player lives anywhere near the Black Country.
Honourable mention for Igor, he lived down Charlemont , probably the last Albion player to live in West Brom.
(12-07-2018, 01:55 PM)Hopalong Wrote: Can't wait til Bully, Goodman and Anelka rock up!

A few I'm really looking forward to are Willie, Koumas and Maresca even though he only played 18 games for us!

Thought Godman had his on Monday??
One of my mum's friends when she was growing up in West Bromwich. Remember meeting him at a supporters club do.lovely man
(12-07-2018, 03:43 PM)BigLadbaggie Wrote: Koumas won’t ever turn up for his, shame as we all loved him.

I didn't.
Wasted talent because he didn't care enough.
Shame.
Alex just got his.big clap