Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Standups
Seeing that the other thread is already going that way let’s discuss our favourite comedians...

Best that I’ve seen live:

Ricky Gervais
Stewart Lee
Eddie Izzard
Doug Stanhope
Chris Rock

All time faves:

Richard Pryor
Bill Hicks
I know some people cant stand him, but Peter Kay is side splitting funny imo

Special mention for Frank Skinner for me, and Rhod Gilbert

I loved Dylan Moran, but went to see him one night at the Cheltenham Town Hall and for whatever reason, he obviously didn't want to be there, and was only on stage for 55 minutes split either side of a 15 minute interval -- I haven't seen him since.

Not normally stand up, but I find Dave Gorman brilliant live

Ones to avoid - Phil Jupitus - he was pissed the night I went to see him and was awful. Jack Dee was also very disappointing
(12-06-2018, 11:13 AM)Glos_baggie Wrote: I know some people cant stand him, but Peter Kay is side splitting funny imo

Had tickets for that tour he pulled out of this year, which was a shame.
Billy Connolly
Lee Evans
Rhod Gilbert
Al Murray
Peter Kay
Kevin Bridges
Rich Hall
Danny Bhoy
Adam Hills
Lee Nelson
Tom Stade
Stephen K Amos
Robin Williams
Lee Mack
All live

Other favourites are
Trevor Noah
Richard Pryor
Chris Rock
Kevin Hart

And I would have loved to see Bob Newheart live.
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Tim Vine

Reading on how could I forget...

Jasper Carrot
Les Dawson

Peter Kay gives me the creeps
In order;

Billy Connolly
Ricky Gervais
Bill Hicks
Jack Dee
Steve Hughes
Kevin Bridges
Tim Vine
Eddie Izzard
Robin Williams
Rhod Gilbert
(12-06-2018, 11:13 AM)Glos_baggie Wrote: I know some people cant stand him, but Peter Kay is side splitting funny imo

Special mention for Frank Skinner for me, and Rhod Gilbert

I loved Dylan Moran, but went to see him one night at the Cheltenham Town Hall and for whatever reason, he obviously didn't want to be there, and was only on stage for 55 minutes split either side of a 15 minute interval -- I haven't seen him since.

Not normally stand up, but I find Dave Gorman brilliant live

Ones to avoid - Phil Jupitus - he was pissed the night I went to see him and was awful. Jack Dee was also very disappointing

Thought Dave Gorman was excellent when I saw him a couple of years ago. 

Also really enjoyed Henning Wehn.

My girlfriend is a big Russell Brand fan and took me to see him earlier this year. He was way better than I expected. His ability to interact with the audience, especially dealing with drunken Plymouth locals, was excellent. The evening was topped off by a woman near the front with tourettes. She meowed instead of laughing! 

Off to see Rhod Gilbert in Cardiff in May, which I'm looking forward to.

Random old school reference - I saw Phil Cool when I was about 14 and thought he was brilliant. No idea what I'd make of his act now nearly 30 years on!  Big Grin
Les Dawson for me, by a distance; but it was the whole act, not just the standup. I used to like Connolly before he got lazy and just seemed to think that shouting and swearing was enough. Frankie Boyle can be very clever, although he crosses the line too often for my tastes (but we all draw that line in different places).

Milton Jones makes me laugh, but I'm never sure why.

Obviously I like Stewart Lee, being exactly the kind of smug, indulgent, left-leaning, hummus and spiralizer metropolitan who he sees as the target audience for his self-satisfied sneering. 

It wasn't just racists who voted to leave Europe...
(12-06-2018, 11:37 AM)mpad_mark Wrote: Random old school reference - I saw Phil Cool when I was about 14 and thought he was brilliant.

YES!! Remember watching him on a show/stand up with Jasper Carrot when I was a kid. His facial expressions had me pissing myself. I'd have only been about 8 or 9 but still remember him.
(12-06-2018, 11:44 AM)P_K Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 11:37 AM)mpad_mark Wrote: Random old school reference - I saw Phil Cool when I was about 14 and thought he was brilliant.

YES!! Remember watching him on a show/stand up with Jasper Carrot when I was a kid. His facial expressions had me pissing myself. I'd have only been about 8 or 9 but still remember him.

IIRC he was a good impressionist as well. 

EDIT: He did voices for Spitting Image