Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Who else here
.....hates local Derbies. Usually turn out crap games, and I despise the fallout, working with both Dingles and Seals.....that is, unless we win if course !!
What's the atmosphere usually like at these games? Is it banter or hate-filled? Is there usually trouble around the ground?

Villa and Wolves is almost always violent, certainly away. Blues is almost a sickening love-in. Nothing quite like the couldron of a Potteries derby though.
(12-05-2018, 04:48 PM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote: .....hates local Derbies. Usually turn out crap games, and I despise the fallout, working with both Dingles and Seals.....that is, unless we win if course !!

I also hate them. 

I envy the people who look forward to them for weeks in advance, get fired up on match day, and generally embrace the whole experience; but I'm not one of them, particularly this particular derby. The only brief moment of enjoyment I get is the final whistle when we've won; the wait for that went on too long where the Villa are concerned and we've missed so many opportunities to kick them when they were down.
I feel physically sick when Villa attack us !!! I hate derbies  Confused
(12-05-2018, 05:15 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 04:48 PM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote: .....hates local Derbies. Usually turn out crap games, and I despise the fallout, working with both Dingles and Seals.....that is, unless we win if course !!

I also hate them. 

I envy the people who look forward to them for weeks in advance, get fired up on match day, and generally embrace the whole experience; but I'm not one of them, particularly this particular derby. The only brief moment of enjoyment I get is the final whistle when we've won; the wait for that went on too long where the Villa are concerned and we've missed so many opportunities to kick them when they were down.

Plus 1000
It all depends on your situation in your own life. I work for myself and don't know or hang about with twats who support them. However, I'm watching the match, as I said before, with a Villa mate. He's a good lad and no piss taker. Either way, whoever comes out on top(if one does), afterwards the beer will flow and nowt will have changed. Equally, my best man was/is a Wolves fan.
I do though, even though I'll conceal it to my mate, like getting one over on the Villa like no other team.
I first started supporting us in the mid 70s and we had some right crap times v Villa, which I had to face at school.
A 0-3, when I was in the Brummie, in 78 stands out as particularly dark. The 1-0 Batson back-pass when they won the title was equally gut wrenching too.
This is a hard game to call. I can see it being a lively draw 2-2.
They are great, club football if not tribal is a tedious affair. In the grand scheme of things I couldn’t careless how we played against the likes of Brentford. I won’t remember who scored in a few weeks time let alone remember that much about the game. Games against far flung teams after thirty odd years become football, watch the football, watch it! Watch the giants of East Anglia against the titans of Lincolnshire, each match bigger than the last and matter to someone, somewhere!
One of the Scottish east coast derbies is supposed to be an absolutely manic affair: it's either Montrose v Arbroath, or Montrose v Forfar. A local up there once told me "There's only about a thousand go to the game, and every one of them is involved in the fight"
Love and hate them on equal measure. Some of my lowest moments in football are defeats to Villa. But some of the highs too like Robinsons last gasp goal at Vile Park, Mulumbu's winner at the Hawthorns or the early 80s game where we were 1 nil down with 7 mins to go and won 3-1.