Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Advice
Whilst stability seems a more sure thing in a permanent position that has not always been my experience.  I have been contracting in a couple of places in my time when redundancies were going on - my contract being extended because I was billable whilst permanent staff were being laid off. You'd think in this circumstances they would lose the contractors first but not the case necessarily. In hard economic times I'm not sure there is much stability anywhere.
(10-08-2018, 07:06 AM)Mayo Wrote: Whilst stability seems a more sure thing in a permanent position that has not always been my experience.  I have been contracting in a couple of places in my time when redundancies were going on - my contract being extended because I was billable whilst permanent staff were being laid off. You'd think in this circumstances they would lose the contractors first but not the case necessarily. In hard economic times I'm not sure there is much stability anywhere.

Ain't that the truth. 

Also the more expensive you are, the more vulnerable you are.
(10-08-2018, 05:47 AM)TorontoBaggie Wrote: What's Tabletop war gaming? Sound interesting! 

There's a bit of a clue in the name.  Big Grin
Keep overheads to a minimum.  That includes office rent.  If you can work from home, do it.  If you are serious about working for yourself, you won't have the time or inclination to be distracted.
If you are questioning the size of the step then that would convince me even more that you should take it.
You can always get back into work paid by someone else, if it goes pear-shaped, but to succeed to the full in life you must constantly challenge yourself. Don't question it, just do it. I moved to NZ seven years ago with nothing to come to and a family to support and we're still here... Things will work out cos you will make em work out.
I've never regretted leaving corporate life for a minute.
(10-08-2018, 10:14 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I've never regretted leaving corporate life for a minute.

I think you have adapted better than I have though, Proth.
I will send you an email later, I need to run an idea by you. It may or may not be of interest.
(10-08-2018, 01:58 PM)Black Penny Wrote: I will send you an email later, I need to run an idea by you. It may or may not be of interest.

wtf! just send him an email -no need to announce it to the rest of the board sake.

each to their own but I've always preferred working for myself - maybe harder in many ways but far more rewarding and not just financially (although that's debatable)
All good advice. The only thing I would add is make sure your family are 100% behind you. Self employment, or rather the commitment of it, can put a lot of pressure on you. Sometimes (well in my case!), your partner can feel the pressure more.
All in all though, I have no regrets.