Booking.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tonight
(09-14-2018, 10:58 PM)ASOGF Wrote: Individually our players are a million miles ahead of Birmingham. The lack of investment may become relevant with a few injuries, but certainly not tonight

I think the lack of investment at right back will bite us soon because I can’t see us sticking with three at the back if we keep throwing in performances like that.
(09-14-2018, 10:58 PM)ASOGF Wrote: Individually our players are a million miles ahead of Birmingham. The lack of investment may become relevant with a few injuries, but certainly not tonight

Don’t agree. Brunt, Livermore and Bartley all needed hooking but we had too few options. No Gibbs meant Townsend played and was at fault for the goal. A big centre forward might have held the ball up and got us playing in and around their box, but we don’t have one. With Brunt off the pitch we can’t deliver consistently good dead balls.

With a small and unbalanced squad, it’s an aggregation of things that soon pile up.
Agree Manc but you cant exclude the home form from the overall picture.
(09-14-2018, 11:18 PM)Heath Wrote: Agree Manc but you cant exclude the home form from the overall picture.

Aye mon - but see Carlitos thread for overall picture
I partly agree with that mon. I dont think you can exclude thay sometimes we will get points from poor performances because we have good individuals. My biggest concern is that I thought we had made a huge leap forward v Stoke and maybe we havent. In-game management remains a big issue.
(09-14-2018, 11:30 PM)Heath Wrote: I partly agree with that mon. I dont think you can exclude thay sometimes we will get points from poor performances because we have good individuals. My biggest concern is that I thought we had made a huge leap forward v Stoke and maybe we havent. In-game management remains a big issue.

Absolutely agree with those last 2 lines pal. 

Cuzer also nails it on his ratings thread
(09-14-2018, 11:30 PM)Heath Wrote: I partly agree with that mon. I dont think you can exclude thay sometimes we will get points from poor performances because we have good individuals. My biggest concern is that I thought we had made a huge leap forward v Stoke and maybe we havent. In-game management remains a big issue.

That Stoke game would have been very different if the penalty would have gone in.... As would tonight.
Really good summary Manc. Dunno how you get it together so quickly after the event!
To me FWIW, we have 11 better footballers but.... They had 11 who wanted to get a result.
We started by passing through them at will, they countered by tackling us and closing down.
We continued trying to out pass Blues, they pressed and forced us back.
We are not very good at passing. We have players who hadn't seen a ball in training, in memory.
We played close and deep and caused our own problems, luckily they couldn't finish.
We should have been beaten, yet we could have won. (We would have been hammered in the Prem).

When you have 11 better footballers than the opposition, but are not winning,  then probably, a change of formation may be required. We changed like for like and although we got a bit better, it was possibly as much due to them running out of steam, than  any magical formula.
It's not a proper Derby, just finished the night with some Blues mates and none of us are going to wake up wherever with any sense of misjustice or missed opportunity, but I can't help but think. Albion don't half need to mix it up a bit more. We are simply not playing to strengths.
(09-14-2018, 10:47 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote: Absolutely cringed watching that garbage tonight. Unless we improve, we will barely finish top 10. These away performances are so poor - large chunks of aimless play and relying on flashes from the 2 loanees. Atrocious passing, lazy pressing, no tackling beyond the last third. It means that we are constantly last ditch defending and  conceding corners free kicks or goals.  

SJ 7.5. Pen save and good handling.  Needs to go long every now and then.  Thought he could of come for the cross that led to goal. Threatened to. 

Phillips. 8. Easiest our best player. The only outlet and the only one who took a touch and made a positive decision. Comes to something when he wins more tackles than your CMs

Townsend 5.5. Much happier attacking space and getting forward. Asleep for goal and left space behind him a few times

Dawson 4.5. Needs to sort his fugging head out sharpish.  Pathetic passing and half arsed tackling and pressing

Hegazi. 6. Was the pick of the 3 tonight - which speaks volumes. Some decent interceptions but the usual 2 howlers a game. Lucky it didn't cost us

Bartley 4. Bullied by Jut, out muscled and then a stupid penalty. He takes risks in the area - these will cost us more and more.

Livermore 5.5. Another anonymous game where he didn't show or pass it. Ponderous as usual - reacts so slowly to second balls

Brunt 4. Needs dropping so badly.  Players drift past him constantly and expose us. So many lazy fouls Can't even pass it - his strength

Barnes 5.5. Way too lightweight again tonight. Needs to improve decision making and when to release. 
Better last 10

Gayle 5. Anonymous and didn't get in the game enough tonight. Must improve his link play. 

JRod. 4. Zero impact - another game where we carried him. Genuinely not sure what he offers. 

Barry 7. Engaged with their midfield and passed it forward efficiently.  Made us more cohesive  last 10 

HRK 6.5. Gets a lot of stick but improved our non existent forwards. Won free kicks and held it up. Should of done better with the chance

Moore 4. Gew is right about the poor investment. That said, worrying how little this group are producing - relative to the opposition
Generous to ay the least.