Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing out from the back
(09-01-2018, 05:28 PM)Kit Kat chunky Wrote: Firstly - great result today, and some impressive performances mentioned in other threads. I was pleased with the display.

Is anyone else worried about playing out from the back in front of our own penalty box - because I am. 

Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I understand that teams like Man City do it, but we don't have the personnel to play this way. I'm not advocating Pulisball, but over reliance on building from the back will cost us goals when we are caught in possession.

It's just a damn good job that the general quality of this division is so piss poor that we probably won't be penalised too much.

No, after 3 years of Pulis' hoofball it's a great change - will take time to bed in, but prepared to be patient while they work on it
We are very much a work in progress and yes we did make errors in passing out from the back but also we set up some great attacking play when we played out.As Moore said we will get better at it.
I like playing out from the back but like everything else in football you need variance. As you pass out from the back the opposition will inevitability push up to put pressure on you.

So hoof it occasionally and keep them on the backfoot.
nerve wracking at times but I'm all for it - and I thought the back three did really well yesterday, looked really comfortable on the ball - shame we couldn't keep a clean sheet as thats really breeds confidence in the defence same as goals for the forwards - still a work in progress and we'll get better at it as the seaso progresses. My main concern is injuries, as the squad looks paper thin to me.
(09-01-2018, 07:16 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I can’t see it changing anytime soon given the coaching staff, but I think it would be prudent to have a better balance of knowing when to play and when to twat it upfield / into the stand.

Almost every attack they created in the first half was because we over played it at the back with centre halves not used to, or perhaps not good enough to play that way. Heck even Man City give opponents chances playing that way. It’s exciting, and pleasing on the eye but against any team with a cutting edge it will see us ripped apart.

KitKat get used to it imo as it’s not going to change and whilst it’s refreshing it would see us struggle if we got promotion.

Agree with this.

The turn Hegazi did late on with three players around him was ridiculous. If he has that taken off him then there's three of them in on goal, so he never should've been given the ball in the first place. 

You can make the pitch a lot bigger by twatting it over the top from goal kicks every now and again, as you can't be offside from a goal kick. See Aguero's goal against Huddersfield as an example of this.
The whole point of playing out from the back is to draw the opposition up the field, thus creating space for players behind the oppositions first line of defence. Guardiola has literally built his managerial career on this. It will come and requires our players to become a little more competent on the ball but the signs are encouraging. I'd kill for a clean sheet against Blues.
(09-03-2018, 11:34 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: The whole point of playing out from the back is to draw the opposition up the field, thus creating space for players behind the oppositions first line of defence. Guardiola has literally built his managerial career on this. It will come and requires our players to become a little more competent on the ball but the signs are encouraging. I'd kill for a clean sheet against Blues.

His teams are also instructed to get the ball back as quickly as possible. Something I hope we see more of now we have a younger squad. It’s also something Mowbray forgot as part of his philosophy.
I'll take the risks that come with it for the benefit of the attacking options it gives us, but it does need to be mixed up a bit more than it currently is. Problem is any long ball hoofed up field is likely to come straight back due to the lack of a hold up player. Just hoofing isn't the answer, quicker passes from the centre halves down the channels may help on occasion.

The bigger test will be the teams that are Pulisesque - don't press us until the half way line (or 15 yards in their half as was sometimes the case). Will we have the ingenuity to break these sides down? At the moment the space to play is being created by the high press of the opposition be interesting to see how we cope when teams don't do that, sit deep and try and counter us. Bolton did this to us, but we've changed our shape since then.

Being so dogmatic with playing out from the back is just the latest fashion of the modern day coach. The best teams know when to play it forward quickly and that's probably the hardest bit to learn.
My opinion matters
(09-03-2018, 12:10 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: I'll take the risks that come with it for the benefit of the attacking options it gives us, but it does need to be mixed up a bit more than it currently is.  Problem is any long ball hoofed up field is likely to come straight back due to the lack of a hold up player.  Just hoofing isn't the answer, quicker passes from the centre halves down the channels may help on occasion.

The bigger test will be the teams that are Pulisesque - don't press us until the half way line (or 15 yards in their half as was sometimes the case).  Will we have the ingenuity to break these sides down?  At the moment the space to play is being created by the high press of the opposition be interesting to see how we cope when teams don't do that, sit deep and try and counter us.  Bolton did this to us, but we've changed our shape since then.

Being so dogmatic with playing out from the back is just the latest fashion of the modern day coach.  The best teams know when to play it forward quickly and that's probably the hardest bit to learn.

or when to hoof it, and when not to.
I'd be much happier if the wing backs we're a touch further back and more available to recieve the ball should we need to get rid rather than keep going through the middle.