Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing out from the back
(09-01-2018, 05:30 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 05:28 PM)Kit Kat chunky Wrote: Firstly - great result today, and some impressive performances mentioned in other threads. I was pleased with the display.

Is anyone else worried about playing out from the back in front of our own penalty box - because I am. 

Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I understand that teams like Man City do it, but we don't have the personnel to play this way. I'm not advocating Pulisball, but over reliance on building from the back will cost us goals when we are caught in possession.

It's just a damn good job that the general quality of this division is so piss poor that we probably won't be penalised too much.

No. Far prefer that to hoofing it up front and losing it straight away.
+1
(09-01-2018, 05:28 PM)Kit Kat chunky Wrote: Firstly - great result today, and some impressive performances mentioned in other threads. I was pleased with the display.

Is anyone else worried about playing out from the back in front of our own penalty box - because I am. 

Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I understand that teams like Man City do it, but we don't have the personnel to play this way. I'm not advocating Pulisball, but over reliance on building from the back will cost us goals when we are caught in possession.

It's just a damn good job that the general quality of this division is so piss poor that we probably won't be penalised too much.
Absolutely love it. It's obviously going to take time to perfect but generally really pleased with it. When it works, sucking the opponents in and playing forward quickly, it's an absolute joy to watch. Other times, it's heart stopping but comes with the territory.

Same here. I think the keeper needs to maybe mix it a little bit more, but I think it's quite encouraging to see us try and play football the way it should be played.

As much as I loved Big Dave as a player, it's not a style of play that would have suited him though  Smile Funny how a Manager's approach is often not reflective in how they played the game.
If we lumped it, it would come back quicker because we don’t have a target man, it’s the right way to play but our centre half’s will make mistakes as they aren’t great on the ball. The key is the midfielders supporting them properly by moving to collect the ball, we did this really well today.
(09-01-2018, 05:59 PM)aj21 Wrote: If we lumped it, it would come back quicker because we don’t have a target man, it’s the right way to play but our centre half’s will make mistakes as they aren’t great on the ball. The key is the midfielders supporting them properly by moving to collect the ball, we did this really well today.

Moving Field to LCB will help massively with this approach imo
(09-01-2018, 06:00 PM)Big_Dave Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 05:59 PM)aj21 Wrote: If we lumped it, it would come back quicker because we don’t have a target man, it’s the right way to play but our centre half’s will make mistakes as they aren’t great on the ball. The key is the midfielders supporting them properly by moving to collect the ball, we did this really well today.

Moving Field to LCB will help massively with this approach imo

Horses for courses.... would not, imo, have worked with him there today. Be interesting to see If he works there within the 1st team framework though.
(09-01-2018, 05:57 PM)ElbowGrease73 Wrote:

Same here. I think the keeper needs to maybe mix it a little bit more, but I think it's quite encouraging to see us try and play football the way it should be played.

As much as I loved Big Dave as a player, it's not a style of play that would have suited him though  Smile Funny how a Manager's approach is often not reflective in how they played the game.

I think mixing it would help. Burke's pace would worry them if they pushed up too far as well.
(09-01-2018, 05:36 PM)swordfish Wrote: I think there should be a balance and currently we are overdoing it. I understand BD wants to change the system, I understand it'll take time, I know I'll be patient.....but Bloody Hell, it's terrifying!
We created enough for another 7 goals, we also created enough for Stoke to have 4.

Spot on.

Sam J's distribution from his feet out to the wings has been really good in previous games, it'd be nice to see us mix it up a bit more.
(09-01-2018, 05:44 PM)BoringBaggie Wrote: It's going to take time. The players aren't used to it yet. Dawson, Hegazi and Gibbs are certainly more than capable of playing out. Johnstone needs to be more comfortable on the ball and needs to play out quicker and we need to be moving around more but that will come with time.

Is the correct answer.
I can’t see it changing anytime soon given the coaching staff, but I think it would be prudent to have a better balance of knowing when to play and when to twat it upfield / into the stand.

Almost every attack they created in the first half was because we over played it at the back with centre halves not used to, or perhaps not good enough to play that way. Heck even Man City give opponents chances playing that way. It’s exciting, and pleasing on the eye but against any team with a cutting edge it will see us ripped apart.

KitKat get used to it imo as it’s not going to change and whilst it’s refreshing it would see us struggle if we got promotion.