Man sentenced for killing and dismembering woman
(04-11-2021, 06:05 PM)wba13 Wrote: I’m all for capitol punishment. A live deserves the life of the perpetrator. I just think of the poor families left behind.

If you support the death penalty you support the death of innocents by the state.
(04-11-2021, 06:05 PM)wba13 Wrote: I’m all for capitol punishment. A live deserves the life of the perpetrator. I just think of the poor families left behind.

The problem is, what happens if subsequent evidence proves it to be wrong. 

Maybe we should have a system where the general public are allowed to vote for either the the death penalty or life imprisonment for perpetrators found guilty of murder. However, if subsequent evidence proves that the perpetrator was innocent, everyone who voted for capital punishment is then also executed. That would concentrate the minds of the ‘hang ‘em’ brigade
Without wishing to sound fatuous there are murders and there are murders. Many killings are committed by people driven beyond endurance as a consequence of years of mental or physical persecution, often both. And most murders are committed by spouses or people very close to the victim. As has also been stated the criminal justice system makes mistakes which was one of the main reasons we abolished the death penalty all those years ago. The unspeakable crime at the top of this thread should receive as heavy a tariff as is possible but for one am glad I will never have the responsibility of deciding such things.
The was a good guardian article speaking to victims families who watched the death penalty carried out in America. None of them said it gave them closure, or felt better afterwards. Surely solitary confinement for life is a far worse punishment than death?
In the form of his life.
If we are not going to invoke the death penalty for murder ,then quite simply anyone found guilty and convicted should spend the rest of their days behind bars ,why should they be allowed to restart their lives after 20,25,30,yrs etc , when would their victims be able to restart their lives ?
(04-11-2021, 07:40 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Without wishing to sound fatuous there are murders and there are murders. Many killings are committed by people driven beyond endurance as a consequence of years of mental or physical persecution, often both. And most murders are committed by spouses or people very close to the victim. As has also been stated the criminal justice system makes mistakes which was one of the main reasons we abolished the death penalty all those years ago. The unspeakable crime at the top of this thread should receive as heavy a tariff as is possible but for one am glad I will never have the responsibility of deciding such things.

Those would be probably manslaughter, not murder though, due to provocation. But as someone who doesn't like state power, I don't think the state should be able to take citizens' lives. And there's the reasons you mention, error, etc.

The great Lord Denning was probably the greatest judge we have ever had, certainly in modern times. But he once said that if the Birmingham 6 had been hanged it would have been better and protected the integrity of the English legal system (or words to that effect, anyway) I never fail to be amazed that such a brilliant man could say something so totally and utterly stupid.

(04-11-2021, 07:42 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: The was a good guardian article speaking to victims families who watched the death penalty carried out in America. None of them said it gave them closure, or felt better afterwards. Surely solitary confinement for life is a far worse punishment than death?

This is another reason I am against the death penalty. I don't think it can be justified on any basis, not even punishment.
It’s just my opinion I am allowed it. Even though I know it will never be bought back.
(04-11-2021, 08:58 PM)wba13 Wrote: It’s just my opinion I am allowed it. Even though I know it will never be bought back.

Hopefully it's one issue that will never be put to a referendum.
(04-11-2021, 07:47 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote: If we are not going to invoke the death penalty for murder ,then quite simply anyone found guilty and convicted should spend the rest of their days behind bars ,why should they be allowed to restart their lives after 20,25,30,yrs etc , when would their victims be able to restart their lives ?

We already have one of the highest rates of life imprisonment in Europe and it costs £30,000+ per year to keep someone in prison.

It's been ten years since the starting tariff for murder with a bladed weapon was increased from 15 to 25 years. It has made no difference to rates of knife crime and it means there is an increasing cohort of very young men who are in prison for a very long time who are proving very difficult to handle. 

Those who kill women and children tend to have a high rate of reoffending. Men who killed women were frequently viewed as just having "snapped", but a closer look at their history will find a catalogue of violence against women. Just like this charming individual, who had two manslaughter sentences before the judiciary finally caught on to the fact this was an extremely violent man.

However, the majority of those convicted of murder are men who have killed other men and they don't usually reoffend on release. So, is it worth looking them up for the rest of their lives. They do that a lot in the US, but it doesn't make them any safer.
Well yes they should stay locked up for life , can their victims come back and re start their lives after 25 or 30yrs ,,,,no didnt think so, its not about rehabilitation for the offender its about justice for the poor souls they have killed, and i'm sorry but being allowed to carry on your life free after willfully taking someones life isnt justice.