Prince Philip
Psalm23 - stay classy, Son. Don't ever discover decorum, or anything, yeah?
Stop the petty bickering. This is a sad day.
RIP Prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh
Gammon said he only has shin splints, and might play next week.
(04-09-2021, 12:09 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:48 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:16 AM)Sliced Wrote: To have the same person by your side for 75 years and then lose them must be awful. I see on twitter all comments are being hijacked by the Meghan Markle crew to say some of the most horrible things imaginable. It seems like showing kindness to one person means you have to be a complete twat to other people.

RIP

Congratulations, Slice, you managed to mention the "M" word just three posts in. Don't you have a life? This isn't about her!

He was a funny old fellow in many ways. Integral part of the chaotic Royal Family which seems to shape our national identity. RIP.

What a weird response. What does having a life have to do with compassion?

I was reacting to what I saw on twitter that thoroughly shocked and disgusted me. It's not a comment on her, just how people choose sides and will stoop to new lows to support their "team". The exact same thing would happen in reverse if something had happened to Meghan.

Anyway, my comment wasn't intended to start another argument so let's leave it there, it was a genuine reaction to the shocking behaviour of attention seeking prats on social media.

I find the royalist crowd, the so-called Royal commentators a pretty sad and amusing bunch. 

I also find the whole taking sides in the latest royal soap opera quite odd and it should be totally disassociated with Phil's passing.

I agree Slice that the bizarre vitriol on this day is odd, but that's social media.

I'm no royalist, but I just see it as a grander scale family fallout where someone totally unsuited to the family married into it. You are better off sticking to marrying those of a similar background, on the whole. Who ever thought Harry marrying her was going to help inter-family relations.

Anyway back onto Phil, I'm sure the media will do him a good send off and regardless of allegiance to royalty or not it's big news.

(04-09-2021, 12:14 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Gammon said he only has shin splints, and might play next week.

Wow Dean Smith is thinking about playing a dead member of the royal family. Villa are getting weirder.
(04-09-2021, 12:14 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Gammon said he only has shin splints, and might play next week.

Get him in the hydropool and he should be good for a substitute appearance (subject to sufficient stock of childrens' blood being available).
(04-09-2021, 12:18 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

Wow Dean Smith is thinking about playing a dead member of the royal family. Villa are getting weirder.

You might need to take your whoosh on that one  Big Grin
(04-09-2021, 11:48 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:35 AM)Fido Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:25 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Not a royalist but I am sorry he has died so close to his century. I do not agree with all that he has said or done but cannot deny his years of faithful service to the country.
I feel for the Queen as I would any grieving widow.

I know this may sound a little untoward on the day of his demise but wasn't he shagging some other piece for years?

Sorry for the ones close to him who genuinely knew him, but apart from that no apologies for being as irreverent as you Fido. I doubt it was a marriage in any true meaning of the word for years and he had a pampered and hugely privileged life.

If he'd worked in a Smethwick foundry and been brought up in a damp house in Tividale I doubt he'd have seen the last 20 years.

Although he would have retired at 60 rather than the 97 when Prince Philip retired
(04-09-2021, 11:25 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: RIP.

Not a royalist at all, very much the opposite, but a family is now in mourning and I do genuinly think he cared for his role and the country.

Pretty much chimes with my own view; I'd have liked him to make it to 100 for no better reason than I thought, having got so close, he 'deserved' to. Totally irrational, but there we are.

He, like all of them (the royals), has divided opinion down the decades but, for all the wealth and privilege, I wouldn't swap my life for any of theirs. 

RIP
RIP Old fella
Shame he didn't make his century, he certainly lived an interesting and colourful life and was mentioned in dispatches in WW2 which was no mean feat.
RIP