Grand National
(04-08-2021, 09:27 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 08:20 AM)MrFizz Wrote: Lack of Privet hedges and increased car ownership has clearly killed off this traditional sport.

Sadly true. My favourite track was Water Orton Road from Park Hall school down to The Farthings pub in Castle Brom.

That stretch had it all; privet, conifers, low fences, a brick wall to the gully at Ronald Grove and even a water jump over a pond. Drive up there these days and it's all been replaced by cheap concrete block paving and horrible Korean SUVs.

Does Lee Hendrie still live that way? Used to see him zooming up and down Water Orton Rd in his latest sports car. Always came across as a bit of a tit...

We actually had two footballers in Castle Brom - Darryl Burgess lived opposite the Bradford too.
(04-08-2021, 09:18 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 08:24 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 07:53 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote: Arthur Road Tipton was a classic, till some grumpy old bastard put barbed wire through the middle of his privet.
Luckily it was not my danglers that got snagged, but just witnessing it alone put me off for life!

Was the course away from or towards UCL?

Up, bottom to top.
It was a test on the hamstrings I can tell ya! You would need to be a gazelle to do it now though as they all have cars and drives. ?

On a slightly different note but on the theme of Tipton...

Did anyone use the Tipton Harriers track before the synthetic one was installed? It was a brain rattler and half. I appreciate that the Club's renown was for distance but it was really poor. Using Hadley Stadium seemed futuristic.
(04-08-2021, 10:09 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 07:53 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote: Arthur Road Tipton was a classic, till some grumpy old bastard put barbed wire through the middle of his privet.
Luckily it was not my danglers that got snagged, but just witnessing it alone put me off for life!

Up, bottom to top.
It was a test on the hamstrings I can tell ya! You would need to be a gazelle to do it now though as they all have cars and drives. ?

Did anyone use the Tipton Harriers track before the synthetic one was installed? It was a brain rattler and half. I appreciate that the Club's renown was for distance but it was really poor. Using Hadley Stadium seemed futuristic.

I did and yes it was a grueller, like running on steel girders. Good grounding for the "National" though.
(04-08-2021, 10:28 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote:

Up, bottom to top.

I did and yes it was a grueller, like running on steel girders. Good grounding for the "National" though.

There was a sprinter at Tipton - probably 50/51ish now - very, very fast - and a massive Albion fan. Caught sight of him at the Three Degrees Statue unveiling and later saw him interviewed on the TV News.
I have 2 friends that have a horse in it - the real one that is. A small syndicate actually. They have been drawn as for the owners badges as well so will be there. Hogans Heights if anybody fancies an E/W. They reckon he is in good Nick!

Up, bottom to top.

No but i played football on the pitch that was in the middle. Went goose over stumps onto the running track following a robust tackle. Not pleasant. Where the running track/Tipton Town pitch is now used to be a cricket ground IIRC.
(04-08-2021, 11:46 AM)Swagbaggie Wrote: I have 2 friends that have a horse in it - the real one that is. A small syndicate actually. They have been drawn as for the owners badges as well so will be there. Hogans Heights if anybody fancies an E/W. They reckon he is in good Nick!

I knew David Johnson who owned the winner in '08 - Comply Or Die - and was told to back it and didn't.

It was the day we played Pompey in the Cup Semi so a double disappointment*

* The Albion defeat accounting for 99.99%
(04-08-2021, 12:44 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 11:46 AM)Swagbaggie Wrote: I have 2 friends that have a horse in it - the real one that is. A small syndicate actually. They have been drawn as for the owners badges as well so will be there. Hogans Heights if anybody fancies an E/W. They reckon he is in good Nick!

I knew David Johnson who owned the winner in '08 - Comply Or Die - and was told to back it and didn't.

It was the day we played Pompey in the Cup Semi so a double disappointment*

* The Albion defeat accounting for 99.99%

Backing that made the journey home slightly better.
(04-08-2021, 09:42 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 09:27 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 08:20 AM)MrFizz Wrote: Lack of Privet hedges and increased car ownership has clearly killed off this traditional sport.

Sadly true. My favourite track was Water Orton Road from Park Hall school down to The Farthings pub in Castle Brom.

That stretch had it all; privet, conifers, low fences, a brick wall to the gully at Ronald Grove and even a water jump over a pond. Drive up there these days and it's all been replaced by cheap concrete block paving and horrible Korean SUVs.

Does Lee Hendrie still live that way? Used to see him zooming up and down Water Orton Rd in his latest sports car. Always came across as a bit of a tit...

We actually had two footballers in Castle Brom - Darryl Burgess lived opposite the Bradford too.

Earlier still Gary Shaw lived on Kingsleigh Drive.

Up, bottom to top.

Some time in the late 80s I did the Tipton 10, which finished with a lap pf the old track. Just what you needed after three repetitive loops round the Moxley/Bradley circuit.

The race was won by Steve Jones who at the time might still have held the world record for the marathon (2:08 something). He got changed on the Asda car park along with the oiks like myself. Mark Dalloway, who was a good athlete (ran for Stourport) finished in the top three; he could run a sub-62 half marathon back then. I never quite got my 10 mile time under an hour, but I was only a fun runner so it day matter a lot.