The Fosun Bubble...
Tbf, they’ll get a fair whack for Traore, Jiminez and Neto. The rest are garbage.
(04-07-2021, 12:42 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Tbf, they’ll get a fair whack for Traore, Jiminez and Neto. The rest are garbage.

Neves, Traore, Jiminez and Neto gets you £150m to spend on a new team. If they're planning on flogging those four then I'm not surprised Fosun have said there wont be tonnes of additional cash knocking around.
As Villa can testify, 150 million isn't as much as it seems.
They reached their peak last season, maybe a few more years of Premier League mediocrity left before they go back down.
150m? Not in a million years. Traore is a novelty player who's outputs are absolutely atrocious. No one in their right mind is going to pay more than 20 million for Traore, so what; Neto and Neves are supposed to be nearly 70 million each? Not a chance in hell.

Neto has played 6 more games than Pereira, despite this he has 5 goals to Pereira's 7 and 6 assists to Pereira's 5? I know he's slightly younger but the way we devalue our own while putting insane valuations on others is just crazy.

On that note, is there any human alive who genuinely thinks Adama Traore should be worth more than Matheus Pereira? 50 million!?!?! Fucking hell
Traore has as many assists this season as Sam Johnstone.

Whilst it’s a daft fact, if you’ve watched enough of him you’ll realise he’s a very dangerous attacker; until the final ball. Tony Daly with Vaseline.
Football is more about wages than transfer fees anyway. If they can’t find a way of paying players more, they can’t improve on last season and the season before.
(04-07-2021, 01:06 PM)Sliced Wrote: 150m? Not in a million years. Traore is a novelty player who's outputs are absolutely atrocious. No one in their right mind is going to pay more than 20 million for Traore, so what; Neto and Neves are supposed to be nearly 70 million each? Not a chance in hell.

There were a lot of rumours around Fosun's involvement in Wolves being primary to curry favour ahead of HS2 contracts... I've no idea how that turned out for them, but I imagine the now reduced opportunity to win lucrative business combined with Chinese clampdown on external investment and the effects of the pandemic on their core global tourism and entertainment business means they need to rethink their spending on an ever increasing vanity project such as the dogheads.

The £350m+ they've pumped in already has given them a competitive advantage to play from and as has been said, in Neves and Neto in particular (and Jimenez when he returns) they have some highly saleable assets which when sold, should give them a warchest which if invested correctly will enable them to continue being competitive in the PL in the same way clubs like Southampton and Palace have been able to establish themselves above the drop zone.

Whilst this doesn't mean they will be doomed to relegation, it does mean they will now have to spend some time looking over their shoulder as oppose to looking upwards, as as has Rich has said, their value is currently incredibly high and any prospective buyer will find themselves having to pay c£300m for a club with a tinpot stadium in a low affluence region of the UK, an ageing squad and a need to continue to invest just to maintain their current standing... this is only an attractive proposition to a vanity buyer and they are few and far between.
(04-07-2021, 01:16 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 01:06 PM)Sliced Wrote: 150m? Not in a million years. Traore is a novelty player who's outputs are absolutely atrocious. No one in their right mind is going to pay more than 20 million for Traore, so what; Neto and Neves are supposed to be nearly 70 million each? Not a chance in hell.

There were a lot of rumours around Fosun's involvement in Wolves being primary to curry favour ahead of HS2 contracts... I've no idea how that turned out for them, but I imagine the now reduced opportunity to win lucrative business combined with Chinese clampdown on external investment and the effects of the pandemic on their core global tourism and entertainment business means they need to rethink their spending on an ever increasing vanity project such as the dogheads.

The £350m+ they've pumped in already has given them a competitive advantage to play from and as has been said, in Neves and Neto in particular (and Jimenez when he returns) they have some highly saleable assets which when sold, should give them a warchest which if invested correctly will enable them to continue being competitive in the PL in the same way clubs like Southampton and Palace have been able to establish themselves above the drop zone.

Whilst this doesn't mean they will be doomed to relegation, it does mean they will now have to spend some time looking over their shoulder as oppose to looking upwards, as as has Rich has said, their value is currently incredibly high and any prospective buyer will find themselves having to pay c£300m for a club with a tinpot stadium in a low affluence region of the UK, an ageing squad and a need to continue to invest just to maintain their current standing... this is only an attractive proposition to a vanity buyer and they are few and far between.

Wolverhampton is a hole and whilst West Bromwich is no San Tropez we are, for all intents and purposes, right on the edge of Birmingham, which probably makes us slightly more attractive geographically. Having said that Wolves do have a bigger catchment area.

All said and done though, neither them or us have a massive allure and will continue to be clubs bobbling along in the top 2 divisions not able to win anything.

Wolves day in the sun has gone. They can hope for what we've hoped for in the past 20 years, which is mid table Prem with the odd big scalp.

Whilst I'm glad this has happened, this thread epitomises that at the top end of the English game it's pretty-much a closed shop, and only billionaires throwing money about can join the traditional giant clubs of London and the North West.
(04-07-2021, 12:32 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 12:22 PM)richbaggie Wrote: Been having a conversation with Wolves fans on twitter about this. Wolves fans commenting about Fosun needing to sell up. But who to? It's the same problem we face and the reason why I am not in the get Lai out of the club by any means group. Unless there is someone out there willing to pump vast amounts of their own money in for no financial return, purely for hobby type purposes, I am hugely wary. And let's face it,  they are going to be very much a rarity.

Self sustainability is fine with me, as long as we put much better plans in place around scouting and youth development.

Bob on Rich.

(04-07-2021, 12:25 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 12:22 PM)richbaggie Wrote: Been having a conversation with Wolves fans on twitter about this. Wolves fans commenting about Fosun needing to sell up. But who to? It's the same problem we face and the reason why I am not in the get Lai out of the club by any means group. Unless there is someone out there willing to pump vast amounts of their own money in for no financial return, purely for hobby type purposes, I am hugely wary. And let's face it,  they are going to be very much a rarity.

Self sustainability is fine with me, as long as we put much better plans in place around scouting and youth development.

Spot on. The only clubs who have had significant investment and not gone tits up are where it’s a hobby for the owner, and they simply don’t want the money back ever. Basically Chelsea and Man City.

And Coates at Stoke. Yet despite his vast fortunes (his missus just paid herself £400m+) and clear love of the club even he's not stupid enough to throw too much at them.

Self sustainability is the only way for clubs like ours. Even more reason to start bringing our talented youngsters through.
That's his daughter and TBF she is the one that utilised the internet to turn it into the global monster that it is today -  plus they pay their taxes in UK. I would be very happy to have them as our benefactors. The others not so much