Big Sam poll.....
(04-05-2021, 02:25 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 02:21 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 02:16 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Isn’t Bartley out of contract in the Summer? I’m sure I read the other day he is.

Edit. Yes. 3 year contract when we signed him on the Summer 

we took up a 12 month option a couple weeks ago

Just read that thanks.  Well that’s good news. Although if we can’t tie him down to a new contract, best sell in the Summer than lose him for nothing 12 months later. 

I don’t u sera tans why Pereira hasn’t accepted the improved contract as apparently we don’t have any contracts with release clauses.

He has 4 years to run on his present one... we don’t really gain much from upping his wages other than a potentially happier player - and if he wants to go, he’ll go regardless of contract - but given he’s not one of our top earners and hasn’t got a release clause, I’d be relatively content if he didn’t sign improved terms which would almost certainly expose us to a higher wage long term and probably a relegation/release fee clause!

The only real trade off would be an improved contract where he agrees to give us 12 months next season in exchange for a non promotion fee.
(04-05-2021, 02:10 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 01:50 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 01:39 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 01:15 PM)wbamitch Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 10:44 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Backed properly is the key.

Sam has shown in his time with us that if he doesn’t get everything his own way he’ll show little interest in turning things around and instead focus his energy on preserving his reputation, and I’m just not sure he will get the kind of budget and free reign he will expect.

Also, Sam’s only experience in the Championship in the last 20 years is with WHU, where he was given a huge budget comparatively and got up through the playoffs after signing a squad of highly paid journeymen which again needed substantial investment into ageing pros on big wages upon promotion... this would be a massive gamble for the club as the funds we have available this summer need to balance making an immediate return and finding saleable assets should we fail and I’m not sure Sam will buy into this. He certainly wouldn’t stand for Dowling signing Kipré and Grady!

Good points. We don't require the overhaul that some allude to, the squad with a couple of decent additions should get promoted next season regardless of who the manager is. The championship is as weak as its been for a while, and if Norwich/Watford come up which looks likely, that's 2 of the parachute money backed sides out of the way. Barnsley, Reading and Swansea are in the playoffs ffs. 

Wilder is the man for me.

Assuming all our loan players return to there parent clubs ,that leaves us a target man light and a midfield pair of Livermore and sawyers so i would say we need quite a decent overhaul ,if not that midfield combo worries the hell  out of me.

+1.

And not forgetting a keeper, a centre back and a no 10 when Sam, Bartley and Pereira leave in the summer.

That’s over half a team!!!!

Again, even if that’s the worst case scenario we could still line up;

Robinson Grant Diangana
Snodgrass Sawyers Harper 
Townsend Ajayi O’Shea Furlong
Palmer / Button 

And we’d still have the likes of Phillips, Livermore, Kipré, Morton, Tulloch, Zohore and Edwards (maybe) in the squad. 

I doubt we’ll see Bartley leave, although I imagine we’ll get a few bids from the likes of Burnley and the promoted clubs, and if Sam and MP go we will be adequately compensated. 

Next season we need a couple of short term players to cover at fullback and then we need to spend what we have available on a couple of central midfielders and a striker we feel could step up. We already have the money from Ferguson and Field to invest, and should see £10M from SJ, on top of significant wage savings from the likes of Grosicki, Austin, Gibbs, HRK and Ivanovic.

We have the money from Ferguson?

News to me! Are you sure?
There isn’t really any logical reason that Wilder is preferred to a committed and motivated Allardyce.
(04-05-2021, 04:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: There isn’t really any logical reason that Wilder is preferred to a committed and motivated Allardyce.

Two key words there. I’m not convinced he’ll be up for the slog through a Championship season.
(04-05-2021, 04:56 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 04:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: There isn’t really any logical reason that Wilder is preferred to a committed and motivated Allardyce.

Two key words there. I’m not convinced he’ll be up for the slog through a Championship season.

This.

Sam’s sole commitment and motivation is to himself and his reputation. If the club ambitions align with that, then great, but I’m not sure what’s good for Sam is what’s best for us.

(04-05-2021, 04:19 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 02:10 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 01:50 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 01:39 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 01:15 PM)wbamitch Wrote: Good points. We don't require the overhaul that some allude to, the squad with a couple of decent additions should get promoted next season regardless of who the manager is. The championship is as weak as its been for a while, and if Norwich/Watford come up which looks likely, that's 2 of the parachute money backed sides out of the way. Barnsley, Reading and Swansea are in the playoffs ffs. 

Wilder is the man for me.

Assuming all our loan players return to there parent clubs ,that leaves us a target man light and a midfield pair of Livermore and sawyers so i would say we need quite a decent overhaul ,if not that midfield combo worries the hell  out of me.

+1.

And not forgetting a keeper, a centre back and a no 10 when Sam, Bartley and Pereira leave in the summer.

That’s over half a team!!!!

Again, even if that’s the worst case scenario we could still line up;

Robinson Grant Diangana
Snodgrass Sawyers Harper 
Townsend Ajayi O’Shea Furlong
Palmer / Button 

And we’d still have the likes of Phillips, Livermore, Kipré, Morton, Tulloch, Zohore and Edwards (maybe) in the squad. 

I doubt we’ll see Bartley leave, although I imagine we’ll get a few bids from the likes of Burnley and the promoted clubs, and if Sam and MP go we will be adequately compensated. 

Next season we need a couple of short term players to cover at fullback and then we need to spend what we have available on a couple of central midfielders and a striker we feel could step up. We already have the money from Ferguson and Field to invest, and should see £10M from SJ, on top of significant wage savings from the likes of Grosicki, Austin, Gibbs, HRK and Ivanovic.

We have the money from Ferguson?

News to me! Are you sure?

We ought to have it come September, it usually takes about a year for tribunals to decide a fee, and £6m + add ons is anticipated.
Nick's gone!? What did he do? I thought he was being pretty level headed on the Allardyce situation

You don't think he'll want to boost his reputation by taking us back up at the first time of asking?
(04-05-2021, 05:46 PM)Sliced Wrote: Nick's gone!? What did he do? I thought he was being pretty level headed on the Allardyce situation

You don't think he'll want to boost his reputation by taking us back up at the first time of asking?

Who knows? But given his age and how long he had been out of the game before joining us I wonder if he has the stomach for a season at that level. I’d be gobsmacked if he hadn’t had offers from the Champ before joining us.
Birdman1811 Wrote:
Baggie_Nick Wrote:
ferencpuskas Wrote:Don't vote if we keep him or not, come on experts; State 1 who's better, 2 available, 3 who we can afford, and 4 if they'd come . Answers not on a postcard, on this thread  Angry

Big Sam stays and we back him, properly.

I don't want to think about the cheap and cheerful alternatives...

[Image: 6638be72d02cc8972e3533c73d37259bcc9d1c18.jpg]

You were warned.

And so the circle is completed. Again!
(04-05-2021, 05:46 PM)Sliced Wrote: Nick's gone!? What did he do? I thought he was being pretty level headed on the Allardyce situation

Yes - but it will be entirely on Sam’s terms and I’m not sure what Sam will want will be what’s best for us. He’ll want a big salary and to recruit experienced heads for a shit or bust season which we just can’t afford to do IMO. 

Look at the players he brought in when he took WHU up... they were all 30 somethings on big wages on short term contracts. Not a risk I think we can take.
SW4Baggie Wrote:
Sliced Wrote:Nick's gone!? What did he do? I thought he was being pretty level headed on the Allardyce situation

Duffers Wrote:
Derek Hardballs Wrote:There isn’t really any logical reason that Wilder is preferred to a committed and motivated Allardyce.

Yes - but it will be entirely on Sam’s terms and I’m not sure what Sam will want will be what’s best for us. He’ll want a big salary and to recruit experienced heads for a shit or bust season which we just can’t afford to do IMO. 

Look at the players he brought in when he took WHU up... they were all 30 somethings on big wages on short term contracts. Not a risk I think we can take.

I would hope that he knows we don't work like that