Big Sam poll.....
(04-05-2021, 12:01 PM)ferencpuskas Wrote: Not many new manager names appearing from the anti Sam clique yet   Tongue

Until we know what the parameters are for next season it’s hard to know who the right appointment will be.

As a club we have a short term get to the PL and sell, so if the brief is that somehow we survive this year and then we need some stability for a sale, then SA is 100% the man.

If the brief is to spend the full PP amounts and shit or bust our way to promotion next year, then SA is again probably a safe bet.

If it is to sell players and try and cobble together a halfway house and get up next season, then SA again isn’t the right choice and maybe we’d be better with someone like Wilder, Hughton, Cooper or even dare I say a Warnock type.

If the objective is to sell a few assets and reinvest, use some of the youth players we have, and try and build a cohesive side to win promotion in the next 2 seasons, then SA is definitely not the best option and potentially someone like Appleton is a better fit.

Then if the objective is just to asset strip, sell what we have and just be competitive in the Champ whilst Lai looks for any money he can find, we may as well go for Alex Neil, Danny Cowley or whoever.

Then we may decide actually there’s no value to be had in the U.K. market and we want to take advantage of the overseas leagues having very little money... so then why wouldn’t we look Spain or Germany? Plenty of coaches there would jump at the chance to take over a solvent second tier club.
(04-05-2021, 12:01 PM)ferencpuskas Wrote: Not many new manager names appearing from the anti Sam clique yet   Tongue

I’d prefer Wilder to Allardyce staying.
(04-05-2021, 10:44 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Backed properly is the key.

Sam has shown in his time with us that if he doesn’t get everything his own way he’ll show little interest in turning things around and instead focus his energy on preserving his reputation, and I’m just not sure he will get the kind of budget and free reign he will expect.

Also, Sam’s only experience in the Championship in the last 20 years is with WHU, where he was given a huge budget comparatively and got up through the playoffs after signing a squad of highly paid journeymen which again needed substantial investment into ageing pros on big wages upon promotion... this would be a massive gamble for the club as the funds we have available this summer need to balance making an immediate return and finding saleable assets should we fail and I’m not sure Sam will buy into this. He certainly wouldn’t stand for Dowling signing Kipré and Grady!

Good points. We don't require the overhaul that some allude to, the squad with a couple of decent additions should get promoted next season regardless of who the manager is. The championship is as weak as its been for a while, and if Norwich/Watford come up which looks likely, that's 2 of the parachute money backed sides out of the way. Barnsley, Reading and Swansea are in the playoffs ffs. 

Wilder is the man for me.
(04-05-2021, 01:15 PM)wbamitch Wrote:

Sam has shown in his time with us that if he doesn’t get everything his own way he’ll show little interest in turning things around and instead focus his energy on preserving his reputation, and I’m just not sure he will get the kind of budget and free reign he will expect.

Also, Sam’s only experience in the Championship in the last 20 years is with WHU, where he was given a huge budget comparatively and got up through the playoffs after signing a squad of highly paid journeymen which again needed substantial investment into ageing pros on big wages upon promotion... this would be a massive gamble for the club as the funds we have available this summer need to balance making an immediate return and finding saleable assets should we fail and I’m not sure Sam will buy into this. He certainly wouldn’t stand for Dowling signing Kipré and Grady!

Good points. We don't require the overhaul that some allude to, the squad with a couple of decent additions should get promoted next season regardless of who the manager is. The championship is as weak as its been for a while, and if Norwich/Watford come up which looks likely, that's 2 of the parachute money backed sides out of the way. Barnsley, Reading and Swansea are in the playoffs ffs. 

Assuming all our loan players return to there parent clubs ,that leaves us a target man light and a midfield pair of Livermore and sawyers so i would say we need quite a decent overhaul ,if not that midfield combo worries the hell  out of me.
(04-05-2021, 01:39 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:

Assuming all our loan players return to there parent clubs ,that leaves us a target man light and a midfield pair of Livermore and sawyers so i would say we need quite a decent overhaul ,if not that midfield combo worries the hell  out of me.

I wouldn't consider that an overhaul but I don't disagree with you on what we need. I think Sawyers will reintegrate into the team next season, he should be fine alongside a proper defensive midfielder. Hopefully Livermore is nowhere near the side

+1.

And not forgetting a keeper, a centre back and a no 10 when Sam, Bartley and Pereira leave in the summer.

That’s over half a team!!!!
I told you I’ll be back
(04-05-2021, 01:50 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

+1.

And not forgetting a keeper, a centre back and a no 10 when Sam, Bartley and Pereira leave in the summer.

That’s over half a team!!!!

Again, even if that’s the worst case scenario we could still line up;

Robinson Grant Diangana
Snodgrass Sawyers Harper 
Townsend Ajayi O’Shea Furlong
Palmer / Button 

And we’d still have the likes of Phillips, Livermore, Kipré, Morton, Tulloch, Zohore and Edwards (maybe) in the squad. 

I doubt we’ll see Bartley leave, although I imagine we’ll get a few bids from the likes of Burnley and the promoted clubs, and if Sam and MP go we will be adequately compensated. 

Next season we need a couple of short term players to cover at fullback and then we need to spend what we have available on a couple of central midfielders and a striker we feel could step up. We already have the money from Ferguson and Field to invest, and should see £10M from SJ, on top of significant wage savings from the likes of Grosicki, Austin, Gibbs, HRK and Ivanovic.
Isn’t Bartley out of contract in the Summer? I’m sure I read the other day he is.

Edit. Yes. 3 year contract when we signed him on the Summer of 2018.

Edit again.  Apparently his contract was extended by one year in Feb this year. I assume that was a one year option that we have activated.
I told you I’ll be back
(04-05-2021, 02:16 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Isn’t Bartley out of contract in the Summer? I’m sure I read the other day he is.

Edit. Yes. 3 year contract when we signed him on the Summer 

we took up a 12 month option a couple weeks ago
(04-05-2021, 02:21 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 02:16 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Isn’t Bartley out of contract in the Summer? I’m sure I read the other day he is.

Edit. Yes. 3 year contract when we signed him on the Summer 

we took up a 12 month option a couple weeks ago

Just read that thanks.  Well that’s good news. Although if we can’t tie him down to a new contract, best sell in the Summer than lose him for nothing 12 months later. 

I don’t u sera tans why Pereira hasn’t accepted the improved contract as apparently we don’t have any contracts with release clauses.
I told you I’ll be back