UK "A Model" for other white majority countries
Boy, this is going to upset some people...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56585538
Doesn't  upset me.
Nor does it surprise me.
A govt who do not believe there is institutional racism in the UK, set up a commission headed by people who have previously stated they don't  believe that the UK is institutionally racist and then produce a report which concludes that the UK is not institutionally racist.

In other news scientific research commissioned by the tobacco industry finds that there are significant health benefits  from smoking.
(03-31-2021, 10:32 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Doesn't  upset me.
Nor does it surprise me.
A govt who do not believe there is institutional racism in the UK, set up a commission headed by people who have previously stated they don't  believe that the UK is institutionally racist and then produce a report which concludes that the UK is not institutionally racist.

In other news scientific research commissioned by the tobacco industry finds that there are significant health benefits  from smoking.

'Violence motivated by racism
The lowest rates were observed in Portugal (2 %) and the United Kingdom (3 %).

Labour market participation
Seven in 10 (69 %) respondents of working-age (aged 20 to 64) are in paid work, with the rate higher among men (76 %) than among women (63 %). The highest paid work rates are observed in Portugal (76 %) and the United Kingdom (75 %), and the lowest in Denmark (41 %), Austria (45 %), Ireland and Malta (48 % each)

Skin colour affects access to adequate housing
More than one in 10 respondents (14 %) of African descent say they were prevented from renting accommodation by a private landlord because of their racial or ethnic origin. The highest rates are observed in in Austria (37 %), Italy (31 %), Luxembourg (28 %) and Germany (25 %). The lowest rate is observed in the United Kingdom (3 %).'

https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/file...ary_en.pdf

Maybe you would prefer the EU report
(03-31-2021, 10:42 AM)strawman Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 10:32 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Doesn't  upset me.
Nor does it surprise me.

'Violence motivated by racism
The lowest rates were observed in Portugal (2 %) and the United Kingdom (3 %).

Labour market participation
Seven in 10 (69 %) respondents of working-age (aged 20 to 64) are in paid work, with the rate higher among men (76 %) than among women (63 %). The highest paid work rates are observed in Portugal (76 %) and the United Kingdom (75 %), and the lowest in Denmark (41 %), Austria (45 %), Ireland and Malta (48 % each)

Skin colour affects access to adequate housing
More than one in 10 respondents (14 %) of African descent say they were prevented from renting accommodation by a private landlord because of their racial or ethnic origin. The highest rates are observed in in Austria (37 %), Italy (31 %), Luxembourg (28 %) and Germany (25 %). The lowest rate is observed in the United Kingdom (3 %).'

https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/file...ary_en.pdf

Maybe you would prefer the EU report
I would have preferred that taxpayers money was not wasted on what was always going to be a foregone conclusion.
There members of this commission and the Consevative Party are perfectly entitled to their views on this subject, but I don't  see why the taxpayer should have to pay for its communication
“There is a new story about the Caribbean experience which speaks to the slave period not only being about profit and suffering but how culturally African people transformed themselves into a re-modelled African/Britain.”

From the report, the hell does that even mean?
And I get accused of selective quotation...
(03-31-2021, 02:48 PM)Protheroe Wrote: And I get accused of selective quotation...

talking of selective quotation - you missed this part:

"That said, we take the reality of racism seriously and we do not deny that it is a real force in the UK."
(03-31-2021, 02:48 PM)Protheroe Wrote: And I get accused of selective quotation...

What has been selectively quoted?
The way this report is being portayed is a disgrace. Channel 4 News began by saying it stated there is no racism in the UK and that the Government intended the Report to inflame people.

The Report says nothing of the sort to when anyone actually reads it.

Wouldn't it be great if people could actually read it and debate what it actually says, sensibly, without lying about the content?

Wouldn't that be progress? Hell, wouldn't it be progressive even?
I see on the same day Britians shiny new report that concludes Britain is the best, most non-racist country ever, a school has banned colourful hijabs and afro hair.