Why?
(03-30-2021, 08:00 PM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 06:50 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Because virtue signalling.

He's more than welcome to defect to the Lib Dems or sit as an independent if he cares about civil liberties but he isn't.

The Lib Dems haven't been a liberal party for years. They are social democrats.

The Lib Dems are the only party in Westminster that actually gives a single shit about civil liberties, are the only party that cares about reducing the tax burden, is the only party that has a liberal solution for climate change that involves incorporating markets within the energy generation market, is the only party that has a liberal policy for business rates and property tax and is the only party opposed the most draconian, unnecessary restrictions in the Covid bills that Charles Walker is complaining about.

"Haven't been a liberal party for years" my arse. They're the only liberal party in the country.
As long as the Lib Dems have candidates like my neighbour Dr David Nicholl (terrorist sympathiser, Covid protestors should be "fined & tagged") I'll be steering well clear thanks.
Great, my Tory MP Mr Jeremy Wright cares more about what the Catholic church says than his constituents. And he's just introduced the single dumbest bill I've ever read into Parliament that is yet another curb on civil liberties, free speech and a shackle on tech SMEs under the premise of Helen Lovejoy screaming "won't someone please think of the children".

I'm also assuming that you're calling Nicholl a terrorist sympathiser due to Nicholl's opposition to the wrongful arrest of Moazzam Begg, which was admitted as wrongful by the CPS? Or do basic civil liberties only apply to people you like.
Assume away, but no. Nicholl is a horrible horrible man, who days after berating people for breaking Covid regulations was happily breaking them himself. He is to Covid regulation what Chris Huhne was to the course of Justice. The Lib Dems and Nicholl are made for each other.
And Jeremy Wright is a horrible, horrible man who cares more for his religion and his standing within his party than he does for his constituents or civil liberties yet you were more than happy to be associated with him as a Tory member.

And, if we're going on moral character, it isn't even fair to compare someone so upstanding and liberal as Ed Davey to that human sack of shite in Number 10. And let's not bring up that one of the recent Tory PMs this decade is now embroiled in a huge lobbying scandal on top of dipping his feet into unsavoury Middle East politics to the point that Blair would even blush.
I don't disagree most of that. As to your point about me, the operative word is "were".

As to your point about Ed Davey, he can afford to pontificate like a pound shop Messiah as he's never likely to make his face and hands grubby by actually attaining power.

As for Cameron, the bastard turned his back on the country just after the greatest political decision since 1945 - his legacy is the May premiership. There's not much more to say. Don't blame me, I voted for David Davis (a liberal).
When Ed Davey actually was in an actual position of power during the Coalition he, along with Vince Cable, decoupled the risk of the operation of Royal Mail which had lost it's status as a natural monopoly first by researching the policy for the 2010 Lib Dem manifesto and then as a Business Secretary through enabling the sell off. He also, in his capacity as a Business Secretary, liberalised the employment market. He was also the architect of the most successful modern energy policy in the world and most economically liberal policy enacted in the UK in the 21st century as Energy Secretary by enabling the liberalisation of the wholesale energy market which in turn enabled wind power to become an economically viable section of the UK energy market and enabling medium enterprises to invest into wind power which had previously been a reserve of large infrastructure and energy companies. His liberal credentials are not just words, his actions speak much louder and he was even prepared to implement them despite knowing the postal unions would lobby against him heavily in Kingston and Surbiton. He is also, during this pandemic, the only party leader that has brought up the plight of those who haven't received government financial support by endorsing ExcludedUK, he's the only party leader to rail against the draconian and unnecessary restrictions of the Coronavirus acts, especially with regards to the issues of social care and childcare, and he's the only party leader who has publicly railed against Covid Vaccine ID.

And though I agree with Davis being a liberal he was also more than happy to indulge into the economically interventionist and socially authoritarian May government, though at least he had the balls to put his money where his mouth is by triggering the by-election (that, may I note, the Lib Dems refused to stand against him and even formally endorsed him).
None of this explains why Charles Walker is carrying a pint of milk with him.

On the Davis are you suggesting, BB that he personally paid all costs relating to the By election, I find that hard to believe. His quixotic gesture was funded by the taxpayer. Much good it did him.

On Cameron, I normally have little sympathy for him, but I do think criticising him for resigning after the referendum is harsh. His premiership was untenable, no way could he continue.

In fact I know of at least one leave voter whose primary  motivation was to give Cameron a good kicking.
I'm suggesting that at least Davis was prepared to lose his job or harm his career prospects for his principles, unlike Charles Walker.

Charles Walker's milk protest is about him being allowed to do whatever he wants in protest against regulation he feels tempers his rights to do what he wants. As I said, it's virtue signalling. He's an MP, he has the power as an MP of the party in government to put pressure on the government in the Commons if he cares so much, as Nick Boles did when he sat as an independent or Phillip Lee did when he crossed the bench. But he's not doing that.
(03-25-2021, 05:38 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Is Conservative MP Charles Walker planning to walk around  London  carrying a pint of milk.
I believe it is an anti civil regulations  protest, but I don't  understand why.

He doesn't want to be good enough to only play for Accrington Stanley.

(03-30-2021, 08:10 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 08:00 PM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 06:50 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Because virtue signalling.

He's more than welcome to defect to the Lib Dems or sit as an independent if he cares about civil liberties but he isn't.

The Lib Dems haven't been a liberal party for years. They are social democrats.

The Lib Dems are the only party in Westminster that actually gives a single shit about civil liberties, are the only party that cares about reducing the tax burden, is the only party that has a liberal solution for climate change that involves incorporating markets within the energy generation market, is the only party that has a liberal policy for business rates and property tax and is the only party opposed the most draconian, unnecessary restrictions in the Covid bills that Charles Walker is complaining about.

"Haven't been a liberal party for years" my arse. They're the only liberal party in the country.

Liberalism like supporting state regulation of the Press.

They may be the most liberal. That doesn't mean that they are what can be described as Liberal.