#FlagShaggers
(03-20-2021, 12:56 AM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: People thinking this is a matter of either freedom of speech or cancel culture don't understand either concept. I don't mean that to sound rude, it is just an observation.

Ordinarily, people can use thier freedom of expression and others can use theirs to critcise others' use of the right. No-one has a right to freedom from criticism for their use of freedom of speech.

However, the broadcast media has a statutory obligation of impartiality. We also have to compulsorily fund the BBC if we want to watch other TV so I don't think it's too much to ask, to not have news presenters sneer at the UK flag. Can you imagine him saying anything to any of the SNP politicians who appear with Saltires or the politicians who appear with EU flags?

Nope.

It was also just total disrespect to be sarcastic to a minister like that.

Wanting to avoid a having to compulsorily fund the BBC is not 'cancel culture'. There is a difference between wanting to shut someone down and not having to fund them. I don't want to fund the Daily Mirror so I don;t buy it, I don't want it shut down.

The biggest irony is that many of those who have used this hashtag today have profiles bedecked with the EU flag.

I don’t think the presenters were “sneering” at the flag. Rather at the Ministers who increasingly appear with ever larger Union Jacks behind them - for what purpose I just don’t know. I do wonder how many of the people getting upset about this are also fairly narrow front English nationalists whose view of the Scottish Indy debate is “fuck em, we can do without them.” Which seems something of a contradiction when they then get enraged about supposed “flag- sneering”.

In my own way I have a great love for this country, that’s not to say I don’t often think it’s a bit shit and that there are loads of things I’d like to change about it. But frankly, if Charlie Stayt decided to wipe his arse on a Union Jack live on tele, apart from being sickened by the sight of his gaping anal cavity and his swinging undercarriage, I couldn’t really give a fuck.
I honestly think that one of our greatest treasures in this country is how a large majority of the population handle patriotism and humility in equal measure. So, in short, we’re great, even when we are shit.
(03-20-2021, 12:56 AM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: People thinking this is a matter of either freedom of speech or cancel culture don't understand either concept. I don't mean that to sound rude, it is just an observation.

Ordinarily, people can use thier freedom of expression and others can use theirs to critcise others' use of the right. No-one has a right to freedom from criticism for their use of freedom of speech.

However, the broadcast media has a statutory obligation of impartiality. We also have to compulsorily fund the BBC if we want to watch other TV so I don't think it's too much to ask, to not have news presenters sneer at the UK flag. Can you imagine him saying anything to any of the SNP politicians who appear with Saltires or the politicians who appear with EU flags?

Nope.

Wanting to avoid a having to compulsorily fund the BBC is not 'cancel culture'. There is a difference between wanting to shut someone down and not having to fund them. I don't want to fund the Daily Mirror so I don;t buy it, I don't want it shut down.

The biggest irony is that many of those who have used this hashtag today have profiles bedecked with the EU flag.

The point was the appropriation of the Union flag by ministers on every Zoom meeting they attend. It’s a deliberate directive which is what Charlie Stayt was mildly ribbing ministers for. It’s not something that was the norm under Blair, Brown or Cameron. The politicians are the ones who are using the flag as political statement (Starmer has started this nonsense now I’ve noticed) when it surely the point of a flag is to be a symbol to unite a country behind. That is very unlikely to happen given the polarised nature of U.K. politics currently. 

If you expect everyone on the BBC to have no opinions (who decides what the news is and what is abs isn’t factual?) then your idea of a national broadcaster seems rather dull, one dimensional and not very erm British. 

Just off to hang my portrait of the Queen and place a giant flagpole with the Union flag resplendent in the front room like any decent patriot would Wink
"We’re great, even when we are shit
We're great when we are shit..."

To the tune of "Back Home", of course.
Talking of shite, can't we keep this shit on the politics part of the forum. We used to discuss football in the dim and distant past.
(03-20-2021, 09:32 AM)SONGTHRUSH Wrote: Talking of shite, can't we keep this shit on the politics part of the forum. We used to discuss football in the dim and distant past.

It’s a good point. Unfortunately we don’t seem to have another game for about 2 months!
(03-20-2021, 09:32 AM)SONGTHRUSH Wrote: Talking of shite, can't we keep this shit on the politics part of the forum. We used to discuss football in the dim and distant past.

You could start a thread about football? 

Some ideas...

Second tier or not? 
The right way to play football? 
Who do you dislike like more Wolves or Villa? 

In short we have nowt to say about the football, we know we are going down and in a few days time we can talk about the next match and how crap Allardyce is and link ourselves with an ex-player as our next manager etc
Have the politicians switched to flags because the shelves full of books they've never read has become a bit passé?

Hancock's backdrop used to include a picture of the pub he'd never been in, belonging to the mate he denied knowing. Plus a bit of tat with his name written on it - presumably in case he forgot who he was.

Nope.

Excellent post.

Munchetty is such an obnoxious presenter. Just imagine if a presenter had been disrespectful of another
Countries flag.
(03-20-2021, 05:28 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:

Nope.

Excellent post.

Munchetty is such an obnoxious presenter. Just imagine if a presenter had been disrespectful of another
Countries flag.
Well clearly you have an opinion on something you didn't  watch.
Because Munchatty didn't  make a comment about the flag, that was her colleague.
And Stayt wasn't  being disrespectful to the flag  he was making a joke at the expense of Robert Jenrick.
As someone mentioned on twitter, people who complain about cancel culture, want to cancel someone for laughing at someone else pointing out a politician's  virtue signaling.

I don't  think either virtue signaling or cancel culture are anything other than abstract, imaginary constructs to attack lefties.