#FlagShaggers
I used to see a different nationality as another notch on the bedpost. The same with an air hostess who flew with an airline I’d never slept with before. God, I was a cunt. Yes, even bigger than I am now Big Grin
All this deification of the flag is a bit odd. All going a bit American it seems
(03-19-2021, 07:09 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote: All this deification of the flag is a bit odd. All going a bit American it seems

Reminds me of a programme called The Tourist Trap, a reality TV/candid camera affair based in a resort in Turkey trying to understand stereotypes of nationalities (British, German, American and Japanese). Was a great watch, the “flag” episode being quite bizarre re the US.
(03-19-2021, 04:34 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Notice the attention is on Naga not Charlie Stayt.  I'm not saying all flag shaggers are racist, misogynists btw.

No, but it’s not hard to imagine the Venn diagram...
(03-19-2021, 05:50 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I used to see a different nationality as another notch on the bedpost. The same with an air hostess who flew with an airline I’d never slept with before. God, I was a cunt.  Yes, even bigger than I am now Big Grin

You are undoubtedly the boards top 'whittler'!!  Big Grin
(03-19-2021, 05:38 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: Always suspicious of people using the flag.

I bet you avoid the Olympic opening ceremonies like the plague?   Big Grin

People thinking this is a matter of either freedom of speech or cancel culture don't understand either concept. I don't mean that to sound rude, it is just an observation.

Ordinarily, people can use thier freedom of expression and others can use theirs to critcise others' use of the right. No-one has a right to freedom from criticism for their use of freedom of speech.

However, the broadcast media has a statutory obligation of impartiality. We also have to compulsorily fund the BBC if we want to watch other TV so I don't think it's too much to ask, to not have news presenters sneer at the UK flag. Can you imagine him saying anything to any of the SNP politicians who appear with Saltires or the politicians who appear with EU flags?

Nope.

It was also just total disrespect to be sarcastic to a minister like that.

Wanting to avoid a having to compulsorily fund the BBC is not 'cancel culture'. There is a difference between wanting to shut someone down and not having to fund them. I don't want to fund the Daily Mirror so I don;t buy it, I don't want it shut down.

The biggest irony is that many of those who have used this hashtag today have profiles bedecked with the EU flag.
(03-19-2021, 05:18 PM)Fido Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 04:34 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Notice the attention is on Naga not Charlie Stayt.  I'm not saying all flag shaggers are racist, misogynists btw.

I often imagine Naga in a retro Star Trek outfit. Just thought thought I’d put that out there.

Right...that's me sorted for later!
I normally think Charlie Stayt plays it straight.

(I'm a poet, etc., etc.)

However, in this instance his comment was just a bit odd.
(03-19-2021, 07:22 PM)Duffers Wrote:

No, but it’s not hard to imagine the Venn diagram...
The focus is on her more because she ‘liked’ an offensive tweet on Twatter.