Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Croatia...
(07-13-2018, 11:39 AM)Lurkerreborn Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 11:31 AM)Mancbaggie Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 07:14 AM)AnelkasBeard Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 06:12 AM)Mr Vertical Wrote: Off to Pula over the summer - looks lovely.

Been to Pula, it's fantastic.

+1

+2

I would give a shout out for Medulin and Rabac, too. Medulin beach is stunning.

Medulin is great for young families, i've been twice. Close enough to Pula etc you can get there on the bus or a taxi and while it has enough to kepe you entertained, its not too busy. Last i went, my son and i waded / swam from the beach to the camping area on the little peninsula. 
If you're in Pula when its on i highly reccomend the gladiator show at the ampitheatre, if you're into naval stuff there is also a dockyard to visit. 
I went to Rovinj on a day trip as well, you can get a boat trip that stops off at various locations and includes lunch with wine etc for a reasonable price. Its a beautifulplace but then most of the country is. 
Interesting fact about Rovinj is that due to it large ethnic Italian population, Tito insisted the town was bi-lingual to avoid discrimination between the Croats and Italians. 
Can't really go wrong with Croatia as long as you aren't looking for a "Brits on the piss" type holiday. As a bonus you get lots of nice Italian ladies holidaying there Smile

Medulin - wow, that’s a blast from the past!
Went camping there many years ago when Croatia was still Yugoslavia!
Was lovely then and also had the good fortune to do a small boat holiday to Dubrovnik and surrounding islands a couple of years ago. Stunning places, beautiful clear sea, good food and great company.
Also had a week in Montenegro earlier this year, equally stunning and much cheaper than Croatia. Kotor old town and Herczeg Novi are lovely old towns to visit.
Not been since it was Yugoslavia, a couple of years before the split. Flew to Pula and stayed in Umag, from memory 45 mins or so north, just above Porec which was then the in-place to go.

I was only young but remember it being a great place. can also do a day trip to Venice.
My opinion matters
Thanks for all the Pula tips.. very much looking forward to it. All the YouTube vids make it look too good to be true so it's good to get some confirmation. Thanks.
(07-12-2018, 07:51 PM)Morley Wrote: Off to Dubrovnik in the summer, any recommendations?

Am I on ignore or what?
(07-13-2018, 04:23 PM)Morley Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 07:51 PM)Morley Wrote: Off to Dubrovnik in the summer, any recommendations?

Am I on ignore or what?

Somebody say something....
My opinion matters
Sorry missed this. Dubrovnik is class, just wander round, explore, eat and drink everything. Go up the cable car for ace views of the city. You really can’t go wrong there.
(07-13-2018, 04:23 PM)Morley Wrote:

Am I on ignore or what?

Dubrovnik is lovely. Just avoid doing the city wall trip when it’s mid day as it’s bairlin’! From there you can get a water taxi boat over to Lokrum which is a lovely island with pine forests.
Dunno if it’s still there but there was a nudist area with a bar and swimming from the rocks. Must say it was an experience to have a swim then a bottle of Osjusko and a plate of cevacipici whilst stark bollock naked! 
Not sure if when it’s on but there is a great cultural festival with music etc. We got to see the Vienna string quartet in the rectors palace for a fiver! 
It was yrs ago we went but Proto was excellent to eat at. Whoever the king was who abdicated because he wanted to marry that American tart was reputed to be a regular in the 1930’s.

I've gone to Croatia Eight years running up to 2012, Seven of them to Cavtat and One to Rovinj, over the years We have made many Croatian friends, even converting One to a Baggie, so there is now an avid Baggie in Cavtat. Dubrovnik is stunning, but gets very hot and very crowded, that,s why we prefer Cavtat which is just a 30 min bus ride from Dubrovnik. As someone else has said, don't try the walls in the midday sun, but they ARE a must do as is the cable car up to mount Srd. If you are a simple lager man, then Karlovacko and Ozujsko beers are very good. The Cilipi folklore held each Sunday morning is well worth seeing. Trips to Mostar and Montenegro, are worthwhile. Mostar up to 2012 is a bit of a shock, as it was still very war damaged and you get the impression with a massive cross on the mountain, that things are still not very cordial between the Croats and Muslims, but the rebuilt bridge is worth the visit alone. Back in Dubrovnik, the Dubrovnik defenders exhibition is worth a visit, very sobering.

Ston saltworks