Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tonight
(07-12-2018, 09:34 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:33 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:26 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:21 AM)Ossian Wrote: On balance, not much to criticise.

Perhaps the one player we are missing is the creative midfielder who can supply a final pass, whether it's from deep or an advanced position - a Pirlo, or an Iniesta. Obviously, those players don't grow on trees but it does warrant the question being asked as to why the supposed 'best league in the world' can't supply the England team with even one.

It can supply several that fit the bill.....shame none of them are English!

The ones I can think of - De Bruyne, Silva, Hazard, as examples - mostly cut their teeth in other leagues first. 

This might be where the Under-17, Under-19, Under-21 supply line does its job and produces the players we need; there are certainly signs of that already.

But will those lads who have done so well in the Junior World Cups actually get a chance in the top flight here?

Yes, if they're good enough. In a league full of really good non-English players the young English players will have to be exceptional to get a game. Bringing in a rule whereby each team has to have a certain number of English players at any given time would only damage the national team imo.
(07-12-2018, 10:53 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:34 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:33 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:26 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:21 AM)Ossian Wrote: On balance, not much to criticise.

Perhaps the one player we are missing is the creative midfielder who can supply a final pass, whether it's from deep or an advanced position - a Pirlo, or an Iniesta. Obviously, those players don't grow on trees but it does warrant the question being asked as to why the supposed 'best league in the world' can't supply the England team with even one.

It can supply several that fit the bill.....shame none of them are English!

The ones I can think of - De Bruyne, Silva, Hazard, as examples - mostly cut their teeth in other leagues first. 

This might be where the Under-17, Under-19, Under-21 supply line does its job and produces the players we need; there are certainly signs of that already.

But will those lads who have done so well in the Junior World Cups actually get a chance in the top flight here?

Yes, if they're good enough. In a league full of really good non-English players the young English players will have to be exceptional to get a game. Bringing in a rule whereby each team has to have a certain number of English players at any given time would only damage the national team imo.

Racist
Personally I feel the whole team performed amazingly well, they looked passionate and determined to win for the shirt and the fans and they have done something that not many can do, unite a country and bring back some hope and pride into the nations football supporters.

Ok luck was on their side a little with the route through the tournament, however you can only beat what's in front of you, Croatia are a really decent outfit let us not forget they put an Argentinian team full of superstars to the sword in the group stages and have in Modric and Rakitic possibly the best CM partnership in international football.

Most will forget the team is still very young and with the results of the U17s, U19s, U20s and U21s alongside the senior squad, I would go as far as to say English football as a whole is in a better position than any other nation currently. If they can iron out the defensive mistakes, learn a little more game management, find a plan B and C for when things aren’t going right and make Loftus-Cheek into that ball playing CM that everyone has pointed out we need then is it too early to see an England team in the final at Wembley in 2 years’ time?
On reflection maybe was a bit harsh on GS... not sure we had the options to change up much. Not sure its smart having the same plan for Panama as Croatia and I woulda brought loftus cheek on at some point but generally Croatia were the better team.

As good a run as its been, and it being used to be optimistic about the future, can't help but feel with the way the tournament went this was our best chance to win the thing
Time to introduce Foden and Sessegnon asap. Give them 2 years in the squad straight away. Sessegnon will definitely play at Fulham. Foden maybe not so much but under guardiola he will develop quickly. I’m not bothered if he doesn’t start for city. Just get him integrated. As we sit here today he is the most likely to be that creative player so chuck him in I say.