Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RAF flypast
As pointless as the NHS 70th birthday celebration.
Network Rail will be 16 later this year so old nuff to fuck.
(07-10-2018, 03:34 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 02:24 PM)Redbone Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 01:36 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Absolutely splendid tribute to the RAF.

Thank goodness for the Battle Of Britain fighters.

if you are ever down Dover way make your way to the Battle of Britain memorial site.  There's a Hurricane and a Spitfire on show  on top of the white cliffs at Capel le Ferne.  My missus is related to lots of people in Capel as her aunt and uncle had the biggest farm around that area and they were a big family who ran most of the local businesses. 

There is a memorial wall with all of the names of the BofB pilots etched into it.   Have a look at this website and let the photos run for a minute or two. 

https://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org

Cosford, Hendon and Duxford always good for a visit too, as I'm sure you know.
Flying legends at Duxford this weekend cant make this year but a fantastic day out all ww2 warbirds brings a tear to the eye and a lump to the throat  when thinking of all those brave young lads who fought to the last for our freedom , went a couple of years ago and they did a mock scramble with 14 spitfires the noise from those merlin engines was music to the ears and made the hairs on your neck stand up.
(07-10-2018, 07:25 PM)Sunshine Wrote: As pointless as the NHS 70th birthday celebration.
Network Rail will be 16 later this year so old nuff to fuck.

I think the NHS thing was more of a gesture to highlight how important it is to us and how we should protect it. I don't think we'd have seen so much coverage of it in a different environment.
(07-10-2018, 07:26 PM)Tetley74 Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 01:36 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Absolutely splendid tribute to the RAF.

if you are ever down Dover way make your way to the Battle of Britain memorial site.  There's a Hurricane and a Spitfire on show  on top of the white cliffs at Capel le Ferne.  My missus is related to lots of people in Capel as her aunt and uncle had the biggest farm around that area and they were a big family who ran most of the local businesses. 

There is a memorial wall with all of the names of the BofB pilots etched into it.   Have a look at this website and let the photos run for a minute or two. 

Flying legends at Duxford this weekend cant make this year but a fantastic day out all ww2 warbirds brings a tear to the eye and a lump to the throat  when thinking of all those brave young lads who fought to the last for our freedom , went a couple of years ago and they did a mock scramble with 14 spitfires the noise from those merlin engines was music to the ears and made the hairs on your neck stand up.

One of the most beautiful sounds ever!!
(07-10-2018, 08:03 PM)Baggpuss Wrote:

It certainly is, but for teeth rattling,  bone shaking, pure adrenaline, then look no further than The Vulcan, the noise when it swoops overhead pounds you into the ground. Magnificent machine, as is the British Electric Lightning
(07-10-2018, 08:18 PM)Man of Harlech Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 02:24 PM)Redbone Wrote: if you are ever down Dover way make your way to the Battle of Britain memorial site.  There's a Hurricane and a Spitfire on show  on top of the white cliffs at Capel le Ferne.  My missus is related to lots of people in Capel as her aunt and uncle had the biggest farm around that area and they were a big family who ran most of the local businesses. 

It certainly is, but for teeth rattling,  bone shaking, pure adrenaline, then look no further than The Vulcan, the noise when it swoops overhead pounds you into the ground. Magnificent machine, as is the British Electric Lightning

Saw the lightning many years ago when i was about 7 or 8 at halfpenny green airshow(back in the 70's) it was bloody awsome always remember its party trick of going vertical , just shear brute power,, saw the Typhoon at old warden a few weeks ago tore the sky up very impressive and noisey.
I had the honour to serve on the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (from 1983 to 1986) during my time in the RAF. We were often visited by the brave men who flew during World War 2. Nearly all of them shed a tear at some point of the visit, and God knows what these men lost during the conflict - they all lost a part of themselves, or someone they held dear.

I get "lump in the throat" moments when I think about what these men went through, and also my own "sound of a Merlin (and Griffon)" experiences of my relative youth.

I know its a cliche, but the freedoms we enjoy today ARE due to the sacrifices made by these people. Lest We Forget.
The tone of the Westminster Abbey service and subsequent celebrations of the centenary were perfectly pitched yesterday.
(07-10-2018, 11:40 PM)Pfister Wrote: I had the honour to serve on the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (from 1983 to 1986) during my time in the RAF. We were often visited by the brave men who flew during World War 2. Nearly all of them shed a tear at some point of the visit, and God knows what these men lost during the conflict - they all lost a part of themselves, or someone they held dear.

I get "lump in the throat" moments when I think about what these men went through, and also my own "sound of a Merlin (and Griffon)" experiences of my relative youth.

I know its a cliche, but the freedoms we enjoy today ARE due to the sacrifices made by these people. Lest We Forget.

Amongst the many posts, this is an excellent tribute to 
all the fallen souls that make life what it is today.  Thank you.
(07-10-2018, 09:13 PM)Tetley74 Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 08:18 PM)Man of Harlech Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 03:34 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote: Cosford, Hendon and Duxford always good for a visit too, as I'm sure you know.

Saw the lightning many years ago when i was about 7 or 8 at halfpenny green airshow(back in the 70's) it was bloody awsome always remember its party trick of going vertical , just shear brute power,, saw the Typhoon at old warden a few weeks ago tore the sky up very impressive and noisey.
if anyone ever gets a chance visit Wellsbourne airport they have a vulcan that although no longer certified 
does come out of the hanger and is taken up and down the runway. A sight to behold and they also give you a tingle when seen in flight. PS take some earplugs.