Booking.com
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RAF flypast
(07-10-2018, 02:24 PM)Redbone Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 01:36 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Absolutely splendid tribute to the RAF.

Thank goodness for the Battle Of Britain fighters.

if you are ever down Dover way make your way to the Battle of Britain memorial site.  There's a Hurricane and a Spitfire on show  on top of the white cliffs at Capel le Ferne.  My missus is related to lots of people in Capel as her aunt and uncle had the biggest farm around that area and they were a big family who ran most of the local businesses. 

There is a memorial wall with all of the names of the BofB pilots etched into it.   Have a look at this website and let the photos run for a minute or two. 

https://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org

Cosford, Hendon and Duxford always good for a visit too, as I'm sure you know.
(07-10-2018, 03:11 PM)Man of Harlech Wrote: Also go to RAF Hawkinge a few miles down the road, it has the Kent BoB Museum .
The memorial at Capel is magnificent.
Best of the lot is the Fighter Command bunker at RAF Uxbridge. It's set up as it was on Sept 15 1940 when everything we had was in the air. Definitely some ghosts down there.
Did you ever do a stint at Leuchars during your time in the RAF?
Did my work experience from school at RAF Cosford . Main duties were , walking round doing nothing , looking at aircraft and the musuem , and having RAF personnel take the piss out of me for making crap cups of tea .

Despite adhering to the dozen threats not to let the school down , it was thoroughly enjoyable . Could have been worse , my pal did his at a crematorium .
(07-10-2018, 03:40 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 03:11 PM)Man of Harlech Wrote: Also go to RAF Hawkinge a few miles down the road, it has the Kent BoB Museum .
Best of the lot is the Fighter Command bunker at RAF Uxbridge. It's set up as it was on Sept 15 1940 when everything we had was in the air. Definitely some ghosts down there.
Nah mate, Lyneham, Brize, Benson and Stafford.  Leuchars backs on to St Andrews or so I've been told.
(07-10-2018, 03:20 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 12:58 PM)Montserratbaggie Wrote: Boys and their toys.

I know you would have preferred a soviet fly past.

I take it you don't watch the news much. That comment would be twenty + years out of date.
Out USA friends are rumoured to have approx 700 women trained forces pilots and upto 50 qualified. F-15 pilots. And Kelly McGillis was a looker a few years ago.
(07-10-2018, 12:14 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: We do this pointless, choreographed poop so well........almost moved to tears.

Good job those blokes with the guns waited until the planes had gone over to shoot up in the air. Still a bit irresponsible with the large pigeon population around there.

Do you wish the RAF had never existed? Or just think it’s run its course now?
(07-10-2018, 03:58 PM)Man of Harlech Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 03:40 PM)Ossian Wrote:
Nah mate, Lyneham, Brize, Benson and Stafford.  Leuchars backs on to St Andrews or so I've been told.

Yes, that's right; they would either take off over the sea, or in the opposite direction and across the road from St Andrews. There were a few parking spaces near to one of the gates and you could walk up the road and be right under the take off path. 

We used to take our son when he was a nipper; it was mostly Tornadoes and Harriers, with the occasional visitor; there would occasionally be a Nimrod overhead but I never saw one on the ground. I think it might be partly responsible for the background hiss I can sometimes hear, but nobody forced me to stand there.
(07-10-2018, 04:41 PM)Montserratbaggie Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 03:20 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 12:58 PM)Montserratbaggie Wrote: Boys and their toys.

I know you would have preferred a soviet fly past.

I take it you don't watch the news much. That comment would be twenty + years out of date.
Just like your politics then  Big Grin

(07-10-2018, 04:51 PM)P_K Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 12:14 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: We do this pointless, choreographed poop so well........almost moved to tears.

Good job those blokes with the guns waited until the planes had gone over to shoot up in the air. Still a bit irresponsible with the large pigeon population around there.

Do you wish the RAF had never existed? Or just think it’s run its course now?

Neither. The RAF (along with others from the 'empire') saved this country in World War 2 and we should be forever indebted to those brave young men and women. It is still needed today to protect us.

Just don't see the need for all of this money-wasting nonsense that is supposed to put a lump in our throat.

They do a necessary job but never see the need to celebrate the military in this manner.

I think I've answered your question and left no gaps for you to exploit.