NHS 3 - Private Sector 0?
So with the vaccine program ran and delivered by the NHS, Public Health and local authorities doing exceptionally well currently, in stark contrast to the mainly outsourced Track and Trace system where does that leave those who are ideologically welded to small state, private / health insurance model?
Why would it? All this shows is that a centralised health system and public health system is better at distributing a centralised vaccination scheme, not that a centralised healthcare system is better at delivering healthcare.
(03-08-2021, 04:34 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Why would it? All this shows is that a centralised health system and public health system is better at distributing a centralised vaccination scheme, not that a centralised healthcare system is better at delivering healthcare.

Haven’t we tried a centralised privately outsourced Track and Trace system that has hardly been ‘World beating’? 

What benefits would we have seen in a health insurance model during the pandemic? 

I’m asking questions rather than coming up with definite answers because it’s not a really a black and white subject imo. That said I’m always very sceptical of making profit a key element of healthcare as it doesn’t always seem that compatible with the best interests of the patient.
Have we seen a centralised track and trace system? I was under the impression that everything was outsourced to a bajillion different companies and institutions.

In terms of delivery of healthcarecare I'm not sure there's been much difference during the pandemic aside from extra strain. The only divergence has been the efficiency of procuring and delivering vaccines in centrally planned healthcare systems (UK, Denmark) against decentralised systems (Germany, the Netherlands) but, again, I don't think it's fair to apply that generally as what we've experienced isn't usual.

The German healthcare system uses Krankenkassen which are nonprofits on top of state-run facilities to deliver healthcare, for-profit services aren't really that common, only 11% of German citizens have private healthcare.
(03-08-2021, 04:34 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Why would it? All this shows is that a centralised health system and public health system is better at distributing a centralised vaccination scheme, not that a centralised healthcare system is better at delivering healthcare.

The question isn't being asked by anyone with any influence anyway.

We are back to the post-war consensus of managerialism that served us so badly until Dear Margaret arrived on the scene.

All of the political principles I hold dear are dead for at least a generation; individual liberty, low tax, small state, sound money. The Tories have parked their tanks all over Labour's lawn. Matt Hancock intends to re-centralise the NHS putting it well and truly under political control (where it doesn't belong IMO). The centrists have won.
'Centrism', as on the political spectrum, doesn't automatically equate with being wedded to centralisation. This I can confirm.
(03-09-2021, 10:58 AM)Ossian Wrote: 'Centrism', as on the political spectrum, doesn't automatically equate with being wedded to centralisation. This I can confirm.

I certainly didn't intend to mean that.