Self Defeating Starmer
(03-13-2021, 01:10 AM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: He's a clever bloke, is he, Baggy1?

We were told the Tories feared this great, 'forensic' sharp mind.

We got a 4th rate middle-manager reading from a ring binder saying "What the Prime Minister should have done..." when he can't even make a decision which way to vote on all the bills he's abstained on.

If Labour doesn't improve in the forthcoming locals, patience will start to wear thin even amongst the 'moderate; Labour MPs.

You would hope he is clever, as he was the head of the CPS .

I am no fan of Starmer, wasn't a fan of Corbyn previously, but i do feel i have to defend them from ridiculous attacks. And boy there have been some ridiculous attacks.

Captain hindsight being the most ridiculous. It seemed to me that in 2020 after Starmer became leader, if you wanted to know what the Govt's response to the pandemic was going to be in a month's time, then you were well advised to listen to what Starmer and Dodds were saying today. For example last Autumn Starmer calls for a 'circuit break' national lockdown . Johnson at first ridicules the idea, then a matter of weeks later adopts it.

Like i said, i am no fan of Starmer, but the current attacks he is receiving particulalry from the right are so ridiculous.

For what its worth i do think the Conservatives will perform well at the May elections, they will certainly ride the national good felling from the vaccine rollout, which has gone very well.

Going forward not so certain that the vaccine afterglow will last long, politics is still very volatile, and the Conservatives have set themselves some very big traps, which they will have to do well to avoid falling into.
(03-12-2021, 10:10 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 02:48 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 01:39 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 01:19 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: He's not doing very well. Should be an open goal vs Bumbling Boris. But Starmer coming across like the lawyer he is. Insincere.

You'd be surprised CIM, I've never pushed my politics onto my family who have always made their own choices on voting. Most of them have said that the nurses 1% is the last straw for them and won't be voting tory again.

Starmer is highlighting when it happens the cronyism and failures of the government. Polls mean fuck all at the moment and will be based on the current feel good factor of the vaccines, but when the time comes to remind everyone of the points made in totality then Boris or whoever is running the show will be looking at voters who will be saying 'oh yeah I remember that'. 

Undrestimate Starmer all you like, he's a clever bloke and in 3 years time the effects of tory decisions will be laid out clearly - brexit, covid mistakes, treatment of nurses, cronyism. And the ace is the sleeve about the subject of the thread is Robert Jenrick and the obvious self serving he has been party to.

No doubts hes a clever bloke. A very good lawyer. But like Blair I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Boris likewise.

Starmer was a dreadful DPP.

Whatever else you may think about Boris he’s played a blinder on vaccines. I had a business call with Germany this week and they are not happy with the way it’s going there and envious of how advanced we are.

Let’s forget about the 120k who have lost their lives, billons wasted on test and trace, cronyism and one of the worst performing economies in Europe thanks to their handling of Covid. Just look at the vaccine rollout... The vaccine program has gone well but many in the country have very short memories.
(03-06-2021, 01:19 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: He's not doing very well. Should be an open goal vs Bumbling Boris. But Starmer coming across like the lawyer he is. Insincere.

You'd be surprised CIM, I've never pushed my politics onto my family who have always made their own choices on voting. Most of them have said that the nurses 1% is the last straw for them and won't be voting tory again.

Starmer is highlighting when it happens the cronyism and failures of the government. Polls mean fuck all at the moment and will be based on the current feel good factor of the vaccines, but when the time comes to remind everyone of the points made in totality then Boris or whoever is running the show will be looking at voters who will be saying 'oh yeah I remember that'. 

Undrestimate Starmer all you like, he's a clever bloke and in 3 years time the effects of tory decisions will be laid out clearly - brexit, covid mistakes, treatment of nurses, cronyism. And the ace is the sleeve about the subject of the thread is Robert Jenrick and the obvious self serving he has been party to.

No doubts hes a clever bloke. A very good lawyer. But like Blair I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Boris likewise.

Whatever else you may think about Boris he’s played a blinder on vaccines. I had a business call with Germany this week and they are not happy with the way it’s going there and envious of how advanced we are.

Your evidence for coming to this conclusion is?
(03-13-2021, 09:40 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

The bungled enquiry into Jimmy Saville 2008

His awful  Police Guidance in 2013 on how they deal with Compainants and Evidence. Read up on how this caused the investigations into Jimmy Tarbuck and Paul Gamabachinni.

A Human Rights Lawyer as DPP rather than a criminal lawyer is not a good idea.
(03-13-2021, 05:11 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 01:39 PM)baggy1 Wrote: You'd be surprised CIM, I've never pushed my politics onto my family who have always made their own choices on voting. Most of them have said that the nurses 1% is the last straw for them and won't be voting tory again.

Was not within his remit. It's like blaming Deon Burton for the first team being shite.
(03-13-2021, 05:20 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 02:48 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: No doubts hes a clever bloke. A very good lawyer. But like Blair I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Boris likewise.

Was not within his remit. It's like blaming Deon Burton for the first team being shite.

He was head of the CPS at the time! It happened on his watch
(03-13-2021, 05:38 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 10:10 PM)Jack Halford Wrote: Starmer was a dreadful DPP.

He was not the reviewing lawyer, so it didn't happen under his watch in the slightest. It was not within his remit. The only relation to the Saville case and Starmer was that Starmer issued the review into poor practices within the CPS that led to the failure to prosecute.
(03-13-2021, 05:44 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(03-13-2021, 05:38 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(03-13-2021, 09:40 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Your evidence for coming to this conclusion is?

He was not the reviewing lawyer, so it didn't happen under his watch in the slightest. It was not within his remit. The only relation to the Saville case and Starmer was that Starmer issued the review into poor practices within the CPS that led to the failure to prosecute.

I know he wasn’t the reviewing lawyer but it was a high profile investigation and you think he wasn’t involved in any overview meetings on this? 

Yes he issued the review but that wasn’t a difficult decision.
The reviewing lawyer was there to provide the overview from the CPS with the local police forces in Surrey and Sussex. It wasn't within Starmer's remit, he had nothing to do with the Saville case. Given the volume of cases that CPS have to deal with and how procedural they are I find it extremely unlikely that any DPP would be involved with a case at that level, there aren't enough hours in the day.
(03-13-2021, 06:06 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: The reviewing lawyer was there to provide the overview from the CPS with the local police forces in Surrey and Sussex. It wasn't within Starmer's remit, he had nothing to do with the Saville case. Given the volume of cases that CPS have to deal with and how procedural they are I find it extremely unlikely that any DPP would be involved with a case at that level, there aren't enough hours in the day.

Only my view Borin, but I’d be really surprised that in the case of such a high profile figure this didn’t pass across his desk.

Anyway his 2013 Guidance on Complainants caused far more problems. As you might have gatherered I’m not a fan!!