Sturgeon
(02-27-2021, 08:13 AM)Protheroe Wrote: That’s a good point, what I should have said is there’s not even a “non-partisan” SC system in Scotland. Scrutiny doesn’t exist at Holyrood.

[Image: EAZCqF8.gif]
Why do I find myself thinking, every time I see the pair of them smiling at each other in more Halcyon days, that one or the other is actually saying to themselves (said in broad appropriate accent) "I'm gonna fuck you right up!"
(02-27-2021, 08:13 AM)Protheroe Wrote: That’s a good point, what I should have said is there’s not even a “non-partisan” SC system in Scotland. Scrutiny doesn’t exist at Holyrood.

They're based on and are near indistinguishable to HoC select committees

So you don't think that scrutiny exists in Westminster either?
(02-27-2021, 12:44 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

They're based on and are near indistinguishable to HoC select committees

So you don't think that scrutiny exists in Westminster either?

Again BB, I use the evidence of outcomes. It's clear that in Westminster the SCs are the most forensic way of holding the government to account. They tend to be vehemently independent and strictly non-partisan. They're one of Dear Margaret's greatest innovations.

In Scotland they're highly partisan, in fact the term "hyper-partisan" has been used.
You use the evidence of outcomes yet you didn't even know that Scotland had select committees until I pointed them out to you? What examples of partisanship and lack of independence within Scottish government select committees do you have?

And Thatcher didn't come up with them, the Liberal Party pushed the minority Labour government to look into them in 1976. The recommendations for their creation were published in 1978. The bill that formally enacted them was presented before the 1979 general election.
You'd have thought with all these great ideas the Liberals would've spent a little more time in government wouldn't you?
Maybe they would have done had we had a democratic voting system instead of FPTP.

So, do you have any examples of Scottish government select committees being highly partisan?
I don't like Salmond, but really detest Sturgeon. Both of 'em are fishy fuggers!
(03-01-2021, 01:16 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: You use the evidence of outcomes yet you didn't even know that Scotland had select committees until I pointed them out to you? What examples of partisanship and lack of independence within Scottish government select committees do you have?

And Thatcher didn't come up with them, the Liberal Party pushed the minority Labour government to look into them in 1976. The recommendations for their creation were published in 1978. The bill that formally enacted them was presented before the 1979 general election.

I hate to be persnickety BB but whilst you are absolutely correct to point out that the current system of SCs were not the brainchild of Mrs. Thatcher (or her government’s) and were recommended by an independent committee which reported in 1978, Investigative committees for parliament have been around since (I think) the 16 hundreds and independent Oversight committees were instigated by Labour MP Richard Crossman, when leader of the house in the 1960s.
(02-26-2021, 09:08 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Who'd have thought that Scotland could turn from a rancid one-party state under Labour before devoultion to a rancid one-party state under the SNP after devolution?

As it is the FM is answerable to no-one under the Scottish system.

Sorry i must have had a Rip Van Winkle moment when other political parties were banned in Scotland, because if you were using the term one party state correctly, you would know that it refers to a situation where only one political party is allowed to operate.

What i think you meant to say that is over the last 40 years of UK politics, the Conservative party has been very unpopular in Scotland, leading to a series of poor election results At no time were they banned from standing at elections and at no time has it been illegal to be a member of the Scottish Conservative Party.

And of course it should go without saying, that if Scotland had been a one party state under Labour, Labour would stilll be in power in Scotland. Whilst i am not sure it has been overall a good thing for UK politics, the demise of the Scottish Labour Party has shown what happens when a political party takes its voters loyalty for granted, and in that we should rejoice at the power democracy can have.