What links The Clash, Tipton and a Cadillac?
Update:

Been informed by Tipton musician Gary O'Dea that Ernie's son-in-law, Tony Howells, was in local punk band The Injectors, who morphed into mod act The Circles. It appears that Tony or his wife Ann (Ernie's daughter) never told any one about the Cadillac before they moved out of the area in early 1981, following his band splitting up.

The reason you never saw a pink Cadillac around Tipton? Apparently Eddie couldn't drive. You couldn't make it up. Apparently it sat in a garage for an unspecified period of time.

Both Eddie and Tony have passed away, but Ann lives in Cornwall. I've got hold of her email address and have sent her a message.

I've also been informed that the engine was stolen from the car whilst in Corby, and i've traced the bloke who donated a new one before it was driven down to the Black Country.

There's rumours it was never driven after being won and Eddie eventually sold it for scrap. I can't believe that, but hopefully Ann will confirm one way or another.

I'll keep you updated.
(02-20-2021, 10:41 PM)WWHO Wrote: Update:

Been informed by Tipton musician Gary O'Dea that Ernie's son-in-law, Tony Howells, was in local punk band The Injectors, who morphed into mod act The Circles. It appears that Tony or his wife Ann (Ernie's daughter) never told any one about the Cadillac before they moved out of the area in early 1981, following his band splitting up.

The reason you never saw a pink Cadillac around Tipton? Apparently Eddie couldn't drive. You couldn't make it up. Apparently it sat in a garage for an unspecified period of time.

Both Eddie and Tony have passed away, but Ann lives in Cornwall. I've got hold of her email address and have sent her a message.

I've also been informed that the engine was stolen from the car whilst in Corby, and i've traced the bloke who donated a new one before it was driven down to the Black Country.

There's rumours it was never driven after being won and Eddie eventually sold it for scrap. I can't believe that, but hopefully Ann will confirm one way or another.

I'll keep you updated.

What a story.

As a Tipton lad my scanning picked up the words 'couldn't drive' and 'sold for scrap'.
Couldn't drive? That's never stopped anybody in Tipton before.
It should be added, Cadillacs aren't worth a fat lot. I looked at 3 a few years ago, just toying with getting one for a laugh. None were above 1500. Fortunately I came to my senses. I've had enough dead cars cluttering up my drive (and peace of mind).
(02-21-2021, 01:01 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Couldn't drive? That's never stopped anybody in Tipton before.
It should be added, Cadillacs aren't worth a fat lot. I looked at 3 a few years ago, just toying with getting one for a laugh. None were above 1500. Fortunately I came to my senses. I've had enough dead cars cluttering up my drive (and peace of mind).

Whilst i get that, not all (pink) Cadillacs once belonged to The Clash. 

You also have to consider the socio-economic environment of the time. The Black Country had been experiencing a prolonged period of de-industrialisation. Bilston steel works had just gone. Round Oak and Patent Shaft on their way out. My old man, for example, had lost his welding job at the Bean and was struggling for work. Believe me, a pink Cadillac with such providence would have been worth a bit to my family and many others ...
(02-21-2021, 01:01 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Couldn't drive? That's never stopped anybody in Tipton before.

Having visited Thailand I then fancied a tuk tuk as I thought it’d be great fun for a bar crawl. Like yourself, I came to my senses but only when I discovered they were expensive to import.
(02-21-2021, 02:35 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Having visited Thailand I then fancied a tuk tuk as I thought it’d be great fun for a bar crawl. Like yourself, I came to my senses but only when I discovered they were expensive to import.

Confused Big Grin
This Cadillac still sounds more mobile than Livermore
(02-21-2021, 03:19 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: This Cadillac still sounds more mobile than Livermore

Big Grin
Surely the Cadillac went missing with Strummer’s ex after she told him “balls to you Daddy” and never came back
(02-21-2021, 02:35 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

£5k.

What's the appeal of a tuk tuk "over here"?