Covid Vaccination ID
Some people are unable to have the jab for medical reasons, so then they have to have exemptions from the doctor. Maybe they don't want the world knowing about their medical problems. Also inevitably new variants will appear in which some of the jabs will be effective, others will quickly become out of date and need re-tweaking, so then what happens?

I literally work with Covid in my profession. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I can't wait to have it and I think everyone that can get it should, but to force people to have it in order to go to the cinema, or travel when clearly no one has bothered thinking of the practicalities and impact of immunisation on an ever changing virus is just ridiculous.
"Covid Status Certificates" to help speed up the reopening of the hospitality sector?

Hmmm.
(02-22-2021, 04:27 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: "Covid Status Certificates" to help speed up the reopening of the hospitality sector?

Hmmm.

+1
You see when everyone starts banging on about their civil liberties they never mention their civil responsibilities? Waah I won' to do that it's not fair I wanna do what I want, when I want, all the time, I'm not doing it it's not fair... slam door!
(02-22-2021, 05:20 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: You see when everyone starts banging on about their civil liberties they never mention their civil responsibilities? Waah I won' to do that it's not fair I wanna do what I want, when I want, all the time, I'm not doing it it's not fair... slam door!

I haven't seen my granddad in person in fucking ages, nor any of my friends since March. I have been doing my duty during this pandemic, I will continue to do so and I will get a vaccine when it is eventually offered to me. I just don't think it's fair to treat people as second class citizens and deny them from doing things that other people can based on their age, health or if they have medical issues that prevent them from getting vaccinated.
(02-22-2021, 05:20 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: You see when everyone starts banging on about their civil liberties they never mention their civil responsibilities? Waah I won' to do that it's not fair I wanna do what I want, when I want, all the time, I'm not doing it it's not fair... slam door!

Bad attitude this. Not everything is black and white. People's mental health matters too. I haven't been able to see my father who has a serious illness and is really struggling with the loneliness aspect since the passing of my mother, my partner hasn't been able to fly back to Italy to see her family either whereas if we had to go abroad to finalise a contract renewal it would be completely allowed.

You can slam the door all you want, but it's overly-simplistic to assume that the only reason for wanting an end to lockdown earlier or not being forced to have vaccine passports is just because people "want to do what they want". Of course those people exist also.
The message for a long time was vaccinate the vulnerable to ease stress on the nhs. It does seem to have changed a bit now to vaccinate or miss out on stuff......

(02-22-2021, 05:37 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

I haven't seen my granddad in person in fucking ages, nor any of my friends since March. I have been doing my duty during this pandemic, I will continue to do so and I will get a vaccine when it is eventually offered to me. I just don't think it's fair to treat people as second class citizens and deny them from doing things that other people can based on their age, health or if they have medical issues that prevent them from getting vaccinated.

+1

Nothing is black and white. Jobs for people in hospitality too. Loads of factors.

I know I discussed this the other day but I'm expecting a huge amount of vitriol by some towards those who have reservations about vaccines and don't want it yet. The word anti-vaxxer is being thrown around like crazy already at anyone who has reservations, even though most of those people have had tons of vaccinations in the past and aren't anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorists

But then why should I be surprised, there's a few loud people who seem to insist on people being put into one of the extremes. See brexit for example. I wasn't even a leave voter but got sick of leave voters being labelled as a "type". So I fully expect people who have concerns about the vaccine and may not want it to have anti-vaxxer/covid denier/conspiracy theorist abuse thrown at them for the rest of this year.

Lots of divide and rule going on in society these days, and I try and avoid playing in this divisive game.

No one has said that there won’t be understandable exceptions and I’m not sure it’s something that will work in practice. My main gripe is with people in health and care who refuse the vaccine who are perfectly well and are looking after potentially people who aren’t and who can’t get vaccinated.

(02-22-2021, 05:42 PM)Sliced Wrote:

Bad attitude this. Not everything is black and white. People's mental health matters too. I haven't been able to see my father who has a serious illness and is really struggling with the loneliness aspect since the passing of my mother, my partner hasn't been able to fly back to Italy to see her family either whereas if we had to go abroad to finalise a contract renewal it would be completely allowed.

You can slam the door all you want, but it's overly-simplistic to assume that the only reason for wanting an end to lockdown earlier or not being forced to have vaccine passports is just because people "want to do what they want". Of course those people exist also.

Apologies Slice, my point wasn’t about lockdown it was about vaccination and the refusal of some to have it and the wider implications potentially to society if the vaccine is proven to reduce infection rates amongst the population. Lockdown has prevented many deaths but no one wants it to last any longer than it has to and perhaps if we had been quicker and locked down harder at the beginning we would be living a normalish life now. A startling stat I’ve just seen on the BBC Covid update is 48% of those under the age of 42 end up in hospital with the virus, the vaccine should be seen as a sensible and responsible thing to have just like those we have as children. Whether an ID is the answer is one for the moral maze but 90% of take up according to Whitty so far.
Some people can't accept that liberty is a thing worth fighting for. If those people can't see where a health passport will end up they really are clueless. The only people in the long run who will be disadvantaged by such a thing are the very whiners telling us we should all have one. The issues will fall on the poor vulnerable and worst off in society.

Those clamouring for one should be put back in their box as soon as possible
(02-22-2021, 06:57 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

No one has said that there won’t be understandable exceptions and I’m not sure it’s something that will work in practice. My main gripe is with people in health and care who refuse the vaccine who are perfectly well and are looking after potentially people who aren’t and who can’t get vaccinated.

But this has nothing to do with the point that our Prime Minister said in the Commons today that he was looking at "Covid Status Certificates" to reopen the hospitality sector early. When the government's' own estimates suggests that 66% of the population will be vaccinated if there is full uptake that is a basically treating 34% of the population as second class citizens for something that is out of their control, and that 66% includes many people who won't be receiving a vaccine for bloody ages as they are young and have no or minimal underlying health conditions.