Allardyce and our defence
Gzbaggy Wrote:"it is the amount of opposition players turning up unmarked in our box"

That a great phrase

And unfortunately it has happened in virtually every (if not actually every) match from day one. One would think there would have been an improvement under Allardyce but it has just carried on. May as well concentrate on scoring goals because we're not going to be able to prevent them.
(02-10-2021, 10:33 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 09:03 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 08:40 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 08:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I reckon we conceded goals because we are playing far better teams than the one we have.

Ok, let's take the same teams that Bilic and Allardyce managed against. 

Fulham, Man City, Sheff Utd, Spurs - 4 goals conceded under Bilic
Fulham, Man City, Sheff Utd, Spurs - 11 goals conceded under Allardyce

Defensively we've become worse. We can all talk about how the players aren't good enough but you can't tell me you watched Fulham first half and think that's a side that's been coached and drilled to the best of their abilities?

And losing 5-0 to a Leeds side with basically the same players who we had two competitive games with the season before?

Ok let’s compare the success at Prem level of the respective managers over a sustained period.

I know Allardyce is/was a better manager than Bilic, especially for a side trying to establish in this division. I was actually defending him early on when some were getting on his back. You just can't ignore what's been happening on the pitch however and some bizarre decision making by a manager who drops our best player and then admits he still doesn't know what our best formation is. We've gone from a poor side at this level to very poor. 

The reason we appointed Pardew was because of his previous success with Newcastle and Palace but he was a disaster here, same as Allardyce. It's been an awful appointment sadly.

Previous success with Palace? When he was sacked he had the worst record in all four divisions that season
(02-10-2021, 04:18 PM)Cuzer Wrote: It's been a disaster from day one that he walked through the door, what Lai or Dowling were thining is beyond me, never going to work

Cuzer

Old man, 3 years out the game, comes into dressing room with his "don't lose at all costs attitude", attacking football shelved to a set of young footballers who have been trying to play at least progressive football (not very well sometimes) under Bilic and have been used to trying to express themselves.

Who the hell knows why he was appointed. I never wanted him, was always going to be a disaster quicker he leaves the better.
(02-11-2021, 06:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 08:40 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 08:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I reckon we conceded goals because we are playing far better teams than the one we have.

Ok, let's take the same teams that Bilic and Allardyce managed against. 

Defensively we've become worse. We can all talk about how the players aren't good enough but you can't tell me you watched Fulham first half and think that's a side that's been coached and drilled to the best of their abilities?

And losing 5-0 to a Leeds side with basically the same players who we had two competitive games with the season before?

Ok let’s compare the success at Prem level of the respective managers over a sustained period.

I know Allardyce is/was a better manager than Bilic, especially for a side trying to establish in this division. I was actually defending him early on when some were getting on his back. You just can't ignore what's been happening on the pitch however and some bizarre decision making by a manager who drops our best player and then admits he still doesn't know what our best formation is. We've gone from a poor side at this level to very poor. 

The reason we appointed Pardew was because of his previous success with Newcastle and Palace but he was a disaster here, same as Allardyce. It's been an awful appointment sadly.

Previous success with Palace? When he was sacked he had the worst record in all four divisions that season

He took over Palace while they were in the relegation zone and finished in the top half and got them to an FA Cup final.
(02-11-2021, 09:07 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 06:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 08:40 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Ok, let's take the same teams that Bilic and Allardyce managed against. 

He took over Palace while they were in the relegation zone and finished in the top half and got them to an FA Cup final.

He got sacked the following year with the worst run of form of in all four divisions. Allardyce record as manager is far better and you know it Wink

A wider point those asking why we brought in a pragmatic manager after a ‘progressive’ manager had built a team to play one way never said this when we appointed Pardew to play a more progressive style football after Pulis instead of a manager who shared similar style all be less extreme.
Plenty of excuses being banded about from his friends in the media. Impossible job, bitten off more than he can chew, players not good enough blah blah blah. If we hired a young manager or someone from abroad and they mirrored our results and performances identically they would be getting pelters and deemed not fit for purpose.
(02-11-2021, 11:42 AM)wbamitch Wrote: Plenty of excuses being banded about from his friends in the media. Impossible job, bitten off more than he can chew, players not good enough blah blah blah. If we hired a young manager or someone from abroad and they mirrored our results and performances identically they would be getting pelters and deemed not fit for purpose.

Indeed. 

It can never be forgotten we were within touching distance of safety when he arrived. We're now dead and buried, the atmosphere is toxic and performances are far worse. 

Allardyce could have kept us up, but he's ensured noone can and will. This is on him as much as anyone.
(02-11-2021, 12:56 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 11:42 AM)wbamitch Wrote: Plenty of excuses being banded about from his friends in the media. Impossible job, bitten off more than he can chew, players not good enough blah blah blah. If we hired a young manager or someone from abroad and they mirrored our results and performances identically they would be getting pelters and deemed not fit for purpose.

Indeed. 

It can never be forgotten we were within touching distance of safety when he arrived. We're now dead and buried, the atmosphere is toxic and performances are far worse. 

Allardyce could have kept us up, but he's ensured noone can and will. This is on him as much as anyone.

Perhaps he's getting his revenge on us? We'll know better with how we perform in the coming weeks with "his" team in place.
(02-10-2021, 04:04 PM)Duffers Wrote: We were shite under Bilic.

We’ve gotten worse under Allardyce.

That sums it up very well.