Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2026
They’re expanding it to 48 teams anyway so the three qualifiers doesn’t make that much difference.
(06-13-2018, 04:51 PM)supamart Wrote: It's effin unreal.

I did know about the combined bid, but never thought it would end up with three teams automatically qualifying, but then again when you think about it.......

Ticket prices are mad over in the US. I was over there two weeks ago when, what we would call the semi final of the NBA was on, GSW v Boston. Bearing in mind it was the best of seven games, people were paying $10,000 for a 'ringside seat' every game.

I'd love to go to this WC, but it's obvious 'normal' people will end up being priced out of it.

GSW didn't play Boston, they're in different conferences...
We can't even bid again until after 2030 can we? It's so frustrating.
(06-13-2018, 05:00 PM)AnelkasBeard Wrote:

I did know about the combined bid, but never thought it would end up with three teams automatically qualifying, but then again when you think about it.......

Ticket prices are mad over in the US. I was over there two weeks ago when, what we would call the semi final of the NBA was on, GSW v Boston. Bearing in mind it was the best of seven games, people were paying $10,000 for a 'ringside seat' every game.

I'd love to go to this WC, but it's obvious 'normal' people will end up being priced out of it.

Correct, it was the Rockets. Good spot.
(06-13-2018, 05:34 PM)StourportBaggie Wrote: We can't even bid again until after 2030 can we? It's so frustrating.

The World Cup comes back to Europe again in 2030 so England can bid for that one if they want.
(06-13-2018, 05:39 PM)supamart Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 05:00 PM)AnelkasBeard Wrote:

Correct, it was the Rockets. Good spot.

In which case, I can kinda understand the ticket prices. It was the presumptive championship series as they were the two best teams this year. Seeing as the Warriors just swept the Cavs in the Finals as well...
(06-13-2018, 05:40 PM)dublinalbion Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 05:34 PM)StourportBaggie Wrote: We can't even bid again until after 2030 can we? It's so frustrating.

The World Cup comes back to Europe again in 2030 so England can bid for that one if they want.

We’ll lose to a joint bid from Andorra and the Isle of Man.
I do enjoy World Cups from that part of the world, Argentina 78. Mexico 86, USA 94 and Brazil 2014. I think that because the games tend to kick off in the evening means I can watch them rather than daytime kick offs when a lot of people are at work.

Although a 48 team World Cup doesn't appeal to me.
(06-13-2018, 07:15 PM)mickeypearce Wrote: I do enjoy World Cups from that part of the world, Argentina 78. Mexico 86, USA 94 and Brazil 2014. I think that because the games tend to kick off in the evening means I can watch them rather than daytime kick offs when a lot of people are at work.

48 teams (16 groups of 3 teams) – 80 matches. Top 2 qualify to the knockout stages of last 32.
(06-13-2018, 07:19 PM)Big_Dave Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 07:15 PM)mickeypearce Wrote: I do enjoy World Cups from that part of the world, Argentina 78. Mexico 86, USA 94 and Brazil 2014. I think that because the games tend to kick off in the evening means I can watch them rather than daytime kick offs when a lot of people are at work.

48 teams (16 groups of 3 teams) – 80 matches. Top 2 qualify to the knockout stages of last 32.

Groups of 3 sounds fucking shit, not gunna lie.