Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lessons from the last 8 years in the PL
(06-13-2018, 02:20 PM)Squid Wrote: There's a lot of hindsight here, but the fact is, if we hadn't had two crooks for managers, playing for a pay-off, we'd still be in the Premier League. The six-match run under BD showed the results we were capable of and the league was utterly dire last season too. West Ham and Southampton fans must still be pinching themselves in disbelief at not being relegated.

All the points about recruitment, ambition, etc are true and led to our decline, but the relegation is firmly on the heads of TP and AP and those who employed them. The "We Lost Our Way" narrative is a convenient way of trying to hide that.

Wise words. Two complete football charlatans in one season.
If you're going to sack a manager, sack early - and ideally not more than once in a season...Bottom of the PL last season a reasonable reflection on that...
I've come to the conclusion that goalkeeper is the most important position to fill. Without Foster, we'd have been relegated years ago, IMO.
Never sack a manager who has never been relegated before.
(06-13-2018, 09:53 AM)Mancbaggie Wrote: One principle that has applied to us in the vast majority of all our PL seasons is that you are only as good as your strikers.

Sourcing/ recruiting/ getting the best of them is another issue altogether

Very true. Good strikers who can get 1 in 3 at least are like goldust, but they are there if you look. I'd say having forwards who can score and create is more important than style of football, personally.
That it's shit, boring and overrated. The football soul has been lost. If we never stood foot in that league again I'd be happy.
(06-13-2018, 02:20 PM)Squid Wrote: There's a lot of hindsight here, but the fact is, if we hadn't had two crooks for managers, playing for a pay-off, we'd still be in the Premier League. The six-match run under BD showed the results we were capable of and the league was utterly dire last season too. West Ham and Southampton fans must still be pinching themselves in disbelief at not being relegated.

All the points about recruitment, ambition, etc are true and led to our decline, but the relegation is firmly on the heads of TP and AP and those who employed them. The "We Lost Our Way" narrative is a convenient way of trying to hide that.

This is true. We had the biggest band of non decision makers ever seen at the club. Appointing Pulis wasn't wrong, keeping him so long,  was.  Allowing him to scrap everything the club had built and surround himself with Yes Men.
 The appointment of Pardew was absurd and somehow Hammond survived him.  And let's not forget Jenkins who kept them all on  to save a few pounds thus confirming our relegation. He's escaped any blame by sacking the others. I just hope he knows he messed up and learns from it.
For me, the appointment of a new backroom staff with a clear plan, is the most crucial issue.
(06-13-2018, 08:20 PM)swordfish Wrote:

This is true. We had the biggest band of non decision makers ever seen at the club. Appointing Pulis wasn't wrong, keeping him so long,  was.  Allowing him to scrap everything the club had built and surround himself with Yes Men.
 The appointment of Pardew was absurd and somehow Hammond survived him.  And let's not forget Jenkins who kept them all on  to save a few pounds thus confirming our relegation. He's escaped any blame by sacking the others. I just hope he knows he messed up and learns from it.
For me, the appointment of a new backroom staff with a clear plan, is the most crucial issue.

Indeed. However, as last season has shown, we need the backroom staff to have more than one plan, but quite a few to cover forseable eventualities.

I still cannot quite believe these highly paid, supposedly experienced individuals pretty much bet the house (aka the Premier League status of West Bromwich Albion Football Club) on Alan Pardew getting us playing pretty, winning football with NO other plan in the not unlikely event that this would not work.
We always needed an Olsson type player, once he left we got relegated.....
(06-13-2018, 06:28 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: That it's shit, boring and overrated. The football soul has been lost. If we never stood foot in that league again I'd be happy.

Not being funny or nothing, but Legend does the daft posts on this thread. You can't beat him. No point trying.