Booking.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southgate
(06-13-2018, 09:38 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 07:15 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: On a more serious note, who is this Legend fellow, and does he think he's being clever with these pathetic posts?

Legend appeared when Nick got canned, he has since denied he's Nick but is clearly on the wind up. You've been around long enough to know that dingles appear when they have won a couple of games so I suspect that's where this emanates from. Either that or it's some disgruntled ex-poster, and there's enough of them around, that gets some kind of satisfaction from getting 'bites' after ridiculous posts.

Well Nick did calaim to have legendary status, after having his own thread.  Undecided
Fun fact for those who peddle the “Sven was a fraud” line...

He made three successive quarters, we haven’t made one since. In fact we haven’t won a knock out match since he left.
Like the approach of Southgate. Now, having someone whose feet seem on the ground, I actually have some interest in how the Nancy Boys progress. Sadly I do not see us progressing far, I think the England revival project is still very much in its infancy. Like others on here, love to be proven wrong.
(06-13-2018, 09:44 AM)Duffmon Wrote: Fun fact for those who peddle the “Sven was a fraud” line...

He made three successive quarters, we haven’t made one since. In fact we haven’t won a knock out match since he left.

Given the players he had at his disposal, do you think he under-achieved, met expectations or over-achieved?

Tbh, my reasons for disliking him were a bit parochial. There were 2 things that annoyed the fugg out of me. 1) The friendly versus Australia when he had the opportunity to look at players not normally in the squad and he overlooked Russell Hoult who was still playing really well. 2) There was a period when both our 1st choice LBs (Cole and Bridge) were injured. We played Wigan on a Sunday and IIRC it was the only Prem game that day. 2 English LBs on view (Robbo and Baines) - was he there? Was he fugg. Like I said earlier, rarely seen anywhere other than OT, the Bernabeu and London.

Credit to Southgate (and Roy before him) - doing the legwork.
(06-13-2018, 09:41 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 07:15 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: On a more serious note, who is this Legend fellow, and does he think he's being clever with these pathetic posts?

Legend appeared when Nick got canned, he has since denied he's Nick but is clearly on the wind up. You've been around long enough to know that dingles appear when they have won a couple of games so I suspect that's where this emanates from. Either that or it's some disgruntled ex-poster, and there's enough of them around, that gets some kind of satisfaction from getting 'bites' after ridiculous posts.

Well Nick did calaim to have legendary status, after having his own thread.  Undecided
He was different and entertaining . All boreds need a 'nick"
(06-12-2018, 11:29 AM)Montserratbaggie Wrote: Winning the WC is definitely on the cards with the supremo in charge.

Did I just read that? Or are referring to a toilet?
(06-13-2018, 02:23 PM)Black Penny Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 09:41 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:

He was different and entertaining . All boreds need a 'nick"

Slurp, slurp.
Agree with much of this. Southgate has made the team likeable again and with more realistic expectations, it could be a good few weeks.
I think QF is as good as it will get though. A match up with Germany or Brazil at that stage would likely be a step too far. But whatever happens, Southgate is building for the future with a clear plan and some decent young players. Let’s hope people support him
(06-13-2018, 02:14 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 09:44 AM)Duffmon Wrote: Fun fact for those who peddle the “Sven was a fraud” line...

Given the players he had at his disposal, do you think he under-achieved, met expectations or over-achieved?

Tbh, my reasons for disliking him were a bit parochial. There were 2 things that annoyed the fugg out of me. 1) The friendly versus Australia when he had the opportunity to look at players not normally in the squad and he overlooked Russell Hoult who was still playing really well. 2) There was a period when both our 1st choice LBs (Cole and Bridge) were injured. We played Wigan on a Sunday and IIRC it was the only Prem game that day. 2 English LBs on view (Robbo and Baines) - was he there? Was he fugg. Like I said earlier, rarely seen anywhere other than OT, the Bernabeu and London.

Credit to Southgate (and Roy before him) - doing the legwork.

I’d say he came out on par, look at his record over each tournament:

WC02 - Took a squad ravaged by injuries (Mills, Sinclair, half fit Beckham) to a flukey goal from the semi finals. PAR

Euro04 - Lost to France but could he be blamed for Beckam’s missed pen or Stevie G’s backpass? Played very well against Switzerland and Croatia and were then desperately unlucky to lose on pens to tournament favourites and hosts Portugal after losing Rooney to injury. GOOD

WC06 - Few arguments, played poorly throughout but were still only a shootout away from the semis. POOR

As I said, I’d judge him about evens. You only have to look at the shitshows preceded over by McLaren and Capello with the same basic squad to see he wasn’t all that bad.