Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sin bins
Just saw a bit of the Marseille v Saltzburg semi final and there were two instances, one for each side, when an attacking player was going through in a very dangerous position, only to be hauled back from behind by a defender. The offences were deemed not to stop a clear goalscoring oppportunity so a red card wasn't given.
Both times, the commentators praised the defender for 'making the right decision' and 'taking one for the team', which as the law stands, does make sense.
But does it make sense that a player can grab hold of an attacker who's shown the skill and/or pace to break through and just be given a yellow card which will, in most instances, have no effect whatsoever on the current game?
If such offences were penalised by a sin bin of 15 minutes, the defender might think twice about committing the foul and a good piece of attacking might be rewarded.
Ive always thought they would be a good addition to the game.
(05-16-2018, 06:07 PM)Heath Wrote: Ive always thought they would be a good addition to the game.

Me too.
I'm in
We have a black card in GAA for cynical fouls
It means the player is sent off but a sub can replace the sent off player
So if you have a sub equal to or better than the sent off bloke you haven't really lost out
(05-16-2018, 09:31 PM)Donegal Wrote: I'm in
We have a black card in GAA for cynical fouls
It means the player is sent off but a sub can replace the sent off player
So if you have a sub equal to or better than the sent off bloke you haven't really lost out

No, you've just made a substitution, which is nothing like a sin bin at all.

I'm up for sin bin idea for these such situations, where one, it basically is a red but he hasn't brought him down or caused injury, and two, a yellow doesn't seem enough.

I would go for 10 mins though, 15 is too long in football. Plus all sin bins are carried over half time / ET etc.
How about red cards for professional fouls?

A challenge may not be deemed as “violent” but if you’re taking out a player with no attempt to get the ball who’s clearly away & looking to take advantage of a 2v 1 situation (for example) then that’s a red card imo.

There was one in the Fulham game the other night, plus I remember vividly an example when we were back in the championship way back when.....think we were 1-1 away at Reading & Sigurdason took Koumas out in the circumstance I describe above, with the only pinishment being a yellow - Koumas had got away from him for us to be left with a 3 v 1 situation bearing down on goal, only for Koumas to be cynically tripped
(05-17-2018, 05:55 AM)wba_go_boing Wrote: How about red cards for professional fouls?

A challenge may not be deemed as “violent” but if you’re taking out a player  with no attempt to get the ball who’s clearly away & looking to take advantage of a 2v 1 situation (for example) then that’s a red card imo.

There was one in the Fulham game the other night, plus I remember vividly an example when we were back in the championship way back when.....think we were 1-1 away at Reading & Sigurdason took Koumas out in the circumstance I describe above, with the only pinishment being a yellow - Koumas had got away from him for us to be left with a 3 v 1 situation bearing down on goal, only for Koumas to be cynically tripped
'Professional' fouls, as you describe are rewarded with a red card, or so I thought.

(05-17-2018, 05:47 AM)SausEggBagel Wrote: I would go for 10 mins though, 15 is too long in football. Plus all sin bins are carried over half time / ET etc.
Who would timekeep the duration and how? Would allowances be made for stoppages during the period? Can the 4th official determine how much the ref stops his watch?
No, I quite like the dirty side of the game. Dangerous no, but sly and dirty, yes.

I hate the fact that we are somehow trying to make the game more clinical. I enjoy watching Brunty clip somebodies ankles as they break away as much as I do watching him hit a 50 yard peach of a ball to somebodies toe.
(05-17-2018, 07:02 AM)John Osbourne Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 05:47 AM)SausEggBagel Wrote: I would go for 10 mins though, 15 is too long in football. Plus all sin bins are carried over half time / ET etc.
Who would timekeep the duration and how? Would allowances be made for stoppages during the period? Can the 4th official determine how much the ref stops his watch?

This is pretty easily sorted with technology, especially for pro/top level games.

The fourth official can keep time (at a menial level). With addition the Ref watch can be a smart watch linked to a timing system used by the fourth official. This tech already exists for smart watches to apps and such for time linking.
Ar I've sin bins. Lots on 'um.

Donegal likes them as well. His favourite place to stash packages.