Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ivan Mauger RIP
a REAL speedway legend:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo...d-12371606
Remember seeing him at Cradley before the houses were built on the track. One of the best in UK/Europe RIP
Out of the misery of dementia.

A true great on two wheels.

Rest in peace.
(04-16-2018, 08:15 PM)Black Penny Wrote: Remember seeing him at Cradley before the houses were built on the track. One of the best in UK/Europe RIP

I never saw him at Cradley. When i started to go in 1980 it was towards the end of his career. I remember once he was banned when he was supposed to ride at Dudley Wood.

I saw all of the videos though, a legend. RIP.
(04-16-2018, 09:00 PM)Kit Kat chunky Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 08:15 PM)Black Penny Wrote: Remember seeing him at Cradley before the houses were built on the track. One of the best in UK/Europe RIP

I never saw him at Cradley. When i started to go in 1980 it was towards the end of his career. I remember once he was banned when he was supposed to ride at Dudley Wood.

You must have had the pleasure of watching Bruce Penhall then. He was pretty good as well. Yank pin up but was a good rider. Ah memories memories.
(04-16-2018, 09:23 PM)Black Penny Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 09:00 PM)Kit Kat chunky Wrote:

You must have had the pleasure of watching Bruce Penhall then. He was pretty good as well. Yank pin up but was a good rider. Ah memories memories.

Penhall, Gundersen, Jan o Pedersen, Billy Hamill, a young Greg Hancock. Saw them all. Such is the state of British Speedway we will never see their like riding for a local team again.

whoever let that happen needs shooting. Went a couple of times with my old may and can still remember the noise and the smell - great days and Mauger was a true legend of speedway.

Ommer em cradeley!
(04-19-2018, 08:42 AM)igorbalis Wrote:

whoever let that happen needs shooting. Went a couple of times with my old may and can still remember the noise and the smell - great days and Mauger was a true legend of speedway.

Ommer em cradeley!

Can't remember exactly when the speedway ended but the track was also used for greyhound racing and that stayed open a bit longer. The track owners name eludes me at the moment - I think he purchased Yeltz FC after. Several new sites have been reviewed for the Heathens, the last one was lions Farm nr Oldbury but that has fallen quiet.