Booking.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we win 3 in a row, can we stay up ?
(04-16-2018, 02:41 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: If we win all 4 matches and Huddersfield fail to take more than a point from the following fixtures then we're safe:
Everton (H)
Man City (A)
Chelsea (A)
Arsenal (H)

It's fucking criminal that we're in this state. As BRB says above, just 3/4 more points would've given us a right chance.

Basically, we're down. But it ain't over 'til it's over and you never know...

Yep, that's the exasperating thing; we've actually done this to ourselves.
Thing is, whilst it's hard to see us doing it, the whole dynamic changes game by game. Saturday's result will already have sown seeds of doubt in the minds of teams above us. Win again and who knows what effect it could have? At the very least let's not finish bottom and go into next season with a bit of pride and optimism.
There's 2 games that constantly stand out for me, Watford and Newcastle at home. 2 up in both and coasting. Just those 4 points alone would keep us in with a chance.
(04-16-2018, 03:07 PM)Boingingbaggie Wrote: There's 2 games that constantly stand out for me, Watford and Newcastle at home. 2 up in both and coasting. Just those 4 points alone would keep us in with a chance.

All of us have those 'if only' moments. Charlie Adam's last minute penalty miss and his slow motion attempt at getting to the rebound will probably be the last things I think of before I pop me clogs.

(04-16-2018, 03:13 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 03:07 PM)Boingingbaggie Wrote: There's 2 games that constantly stand out for me, Watford and Newcastle at home. 2 up in both and coasting. Just those 4 points alone would keep us in with a chance.

All of us have those 'if only' moments. Charlie Adam's last minute penalty miss and his slow motion attempt at getting to the rebound will probably be the last things I think of before I pop me clogs.

That was really something. I remember at the time thinking "these things don't happen to teams that stay up"
(04-16-2018, 03:17 PM)ASOGF Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 03:13 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

That was really something. I remember at the time thinking "these things don't happen to teams that stay up"

Exactly, and as ever, it's the hope that kills you. We shouldn't have had a penalty in the first place, but when you get a stroke of luck like that then have it ripped away, it hurts. I was more down after that match than I've been for many a year. 

We also had an incident at Palace. Drawing 1-1, and again it was the last couple of minutes. Shawcross was practically standing on their goal line. Only had to stab the ball in and the three points were ours. Instead, he practically did the impossible and cleared it off the line for them. They went down the other end and scored. That's five points in those two games, but like I said, we all have those incidents.

Mathematically we could finish mid table. Big Grin

The bar is likely to be low this year, 34/35 points for 17th place.
the lords my shepherd i'll not want 
he takes me down to lye
in pastures green
he leadeth me 
the quiet waters by
(04-16-2018, 02:41 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: If we win all 4 matches and Huddersfield fail to take more than a point from the following fixtures then we're safe:
Everton (H)
Man City (A)
Chelsea (A)
Arsenal (H)

It's fucking criminal that we're in this state. As BRB says above, just 3/4 more points would've given us a right chance.

Basically, we're down. But it ain't over 'til it's over and you never know...

Criminal indeed. This team more than capable of another mid table finish. Pulised and Pardewed unfortunately.

So many BB.

West Ham away - robbed. 
Everton away - we murdered them. 
Bournemouth away and Fosters howler. 

Then all the games where the players just didn't apply themselves - Hudds home and away and Burnley home shameful.
(04-16-2018, 03:36 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote:

So many BB.

West Ham away - robbed. 
Everton away - we murdered them. 
Bournemouth away and Fosters howler. 

Then all the games where the players just didn't apply themselves - Hudds home and away and Burnley home shameful.

I had feared that the mix-up between Hegazi and Foster at home to Stoke would be the difference between either team staying up - at least it looks like that won't be the case.