Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jame McLean and Rondon
(04-16-2018, 08:03 AM)ASOGF Wrote: The comments on McClean yesterday were baffling. He was arguably our best player

The BBC highlighted how well he performed and the highlights backed that up. Reaffirming my belief that many posters on here are severely myopic (that’s a euphemism for many things).
McClean was excellent yesterday, bar the one bit of stupidity in the first half when he turned back towards goal on the edge of our box. Put some superb crosses in and worked his bollocks off.

We'll need characters like his for the dog fight next season.
(04-16-2018, 08:16 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 08:03 AM)ASOGF Wrote: The comments on McClean yesterday were baffling. He was arguably our best player

The BBC highlighted how well he performed and the highlights backed that up. Reaffirming my belief that many posters on here are severely myopic (that’s a euphemism for many things).
Have never understood the criticism of McClean.He has pace and is prepared to run at his fullback.Althogh limited you know what your going to get 100% effort.Plays better when he has a run of games.

For me the reason they split opinion is they both have a very high work ethic but are very often let down with their technical ability. Rondon, for example, was absolutely immense yesterday in the physicality side of the game especially as J-Rod played a little behind him. However, at times his touch was poor as was his passing. Can it be excused by his hold up play and the space he creates by occupying defenders. Down to individuals i guess. McLean is not too dissimilar in the effort and commitment side of things but his ill discipline and rashness has cost us this season. Again your view on him will depend on how much you value the things he does well versus those he doesn't.

I think they'd both be fantastic in the championship next season but the Prem needs a little more than just great work ethic.
Some fans should get there facts right since being at the Hawthorns yes he`s had a few yellow card`s but in his three years here he has only been sent off once . Yes he is hot headed but he is entitled to be for all the stick he gets at most ground`s and on here. He is a good honest footballer who was superb yesterday along with the rest of the side.
(04-16-2018, 08:58 AM)WorcBaggie Wrote:

For me the reason they split opinion is they both have a very high work ethic but are very often let down with their technical ability. Rondon, for example, was absolutely immense yesterday in the physicality side of the game especially as J-Rod played a little behind him. However, at times his touch was poor as was his passing. Can it be excused by his hold up play and the space he creates by occupying defenders. Down to individuals i guess. McLean is not too dissimilar in the effort and commitment side of things but his ill discipline and rashness has cost us this season. Again your view on him will depend on how much you value the things he does well versus those he doesn't.

I think they'd both be fantastic in the championship next season but the Prem needs a little more than just great work ethic.

I do feel sorry for Rondon in that most of the time the ball is played to him with his back to goal and usually 2/3 defenders on his back. 

He's much better when he's facing the goal as we saw with the early chance and pass to Livermore who should have scored easily. 

It's alos no coinicdence that his best spell was earlier last season when Chadli and Phillips were playing out of their skins and creating chances for him.
(04-16-2018, 09:01 AM)wba13 Wrote: Some fans should get there facts right  since being at the Hawthorns yes he`s had a few yellow card`s but in his three years here he has only been sent off once . Yes he is hot headed but he is entitled to be for all the stick he gets at most ground`s and on here. He is a good honest footballer who was superb yesterday along with the rest of the side.

This x 1000
At a time when players like Evans and Chadli are being criticised for a perceived lack of commitment/heart, I do find it bemusing how much stick McClean gets. Fair enough, he sometimes doesn;t use his brain and he doesn't have the skill of Evans and Chadli, but he never gives less than 100%. How does the saying go? Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety nine percent perspiration.
I moaned about him yesterday as I do at every game I attend. I like the kid and I very much respect him for his effort and commitment. I think he's wrung an incredible amount out of what technical ability he has. He's frustrating in that he often wins the ball using his braveness, pace and commitment only to scuff it or pass it out of play. He does the hard part then muffs ball playing part.