Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This season - the players
(04-16-2018, 12:04 AM)Artist Wrote: Setting up defensively against the big teams is a different task to having to break down the weaker teams.  Our weaknesses in having a one paced squad, no creativity and poor finishing are exposed much more in the latter. Even under Big Dave we couldn't beat Swansea at home.

To be fair, BD had had only 4-5 days with them at that point. And there was a big difference in how we played. Possibly should have won too v Swansea.
It.wasnt the players downing tools it was having the worst manager in Pardew the club has ever had .Have a look at what McClean said after yesterday's match.Moore had sent the players out with organization and propper instructions something Pardew never did.Players need to be liked and also like the manager .
(04-16-2018, 06:03 AM)Huggybear Wrote: It.wasnt the players downing tools it was having the worst manager in Pardew the club has ever had .Have a look at what McClean said after yesterday's match.Moore had sent the players out with organization and propper instructions something Pardew never did.Players need to be liked and also like the manager .
Totally agree. I don’t buy the “downing tools” either. Clubs at this level are aware that the margins are so fine between success and failure that they look to gain an advantage in any way; having a manager who appeared to be disliked and the players either didn’t understand what he wanted them to do or he gave them zero direction is hardly going to give you that competitive advantage.
These players were managed by a man who offered to go in the summer and who clearly wanted out, no wonder there was a lack of desire. Evans was clearly peeved at not getting a move too.

Pardew did a have little impact at first, a definite improvement in performances but not results. It was frustratingly close. The trip to Barcelona seemed to be his downfall and lshoweed certain players having no respect for him, I think picking Barry and Evans after that meant he lost the rest of the players. On top of the fact he’s never been a tactically renowned coach.

From one extreme to the other.

Better managed this squad shouldn’t go down. Yes it’s unbalanced, old and has little transfer value in it for today's market but it’s still not a relegation squad.
My opinion matters
(04-16-2018, 06:35 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: These players were managed by a man who offered to go in the summer and who clearly wanted out, no wonder there was a lack of desire.  Evans was clearly peeved at not getting a move too.

Pardew did a have little impact at first, a definite improvement in performances but not results.  It was frustratingly close.  The trip to Barcelona seemed to be his downfall and lshoweed certain players having no respect for him, I think picking Barry and Evans after that meant he lost the rest of the players.  On top of the fact he’s never been a tactically renowned coach.

Better managed this squad shouldn’t go down.  Yes it’s unbalanced, old and has little transfer value in it for today's market but it’s still not a relegation squad.

This is true. I'd be the first to say I didn't want Pardew but he was unlucky at first.  It soon became apparent he is tactically inept and has made a career out of motivation. OK when you start a winning streak but as he proved at many clubs, he has nothing to back it up when losing. Add to that he appears to bully younger players,  is disliked by senior pros, is arrogant,  and you get the idea not many would run through any brick walls for the guy.
(04-16-2018, 08:02 PM)swordfish Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 06:35 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: These players were managed by a man who offered to go in the summer and who clearly wanted out, no wonder there was a lack of desire.  Evans was clearly peeved at not getting a move too.

Pardew did a have little impact at first, a definite improvement in performances but not results.  It was frustratingly close.  The trip to Barcelona seemed to be his downfall and lshoweed certain players having no respect for him, I think picking Barry and Evans after that meant he lost the rest of the players.  On top of the fact he’s never been a tactically renowned coach.

Better managed this squad shouldn’t go down.  Yes it’s unbalanced, old and has little transfer value in it for today's market but it’s still not a relegation squad.

This is true. I'd be the first to say I didn't want Pardew but he was unlucky at first.  It soon became apparent he is tactically inept and has made a career out of motivation. OK when you start a winning streak but as he proved at many clubs, he has nothing to back it up when losing. Add to that he appears to bully younger players,  is disliked by senior pros, is arrogant,  and you get the idea not many would run through any brick walls for the guy.

In fairness I'd run through a brick wall for Pardew but only so I could smack him with a baseball bat.