Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This season - the players
The more I think about the more I feel totally pissed off at the players for downing tools for the 2nd half of the season

We deservedly beat Man Utd today, the same set of players deservedly beat Liverpool at Anfield in the cup & drew in the league (similar Liverpool teams that tore Man City apart in the champions league)

Between all of that many of them have looked totally abject - despite tactics / personnel not really changing much

What have they been doing - have they not been motivated? Have they not cared?
I don’t want to take anything away from Big Dave - but part of me believes they’ve shown up in the aforementioned games as they’re high profile games and it’s a potential shop window to force a move.
More down to poor management from Pulis and Pardew for me. Frustrating really as this is a mid table capable side.
(04-15-2018, 09:01 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: I don’t want to take anything away from Big Dave - but part of me believes they’ve shown up in the aforementioned games as they’re high profile games and it’s a potential shop window to force a move.

So they aren’t terrible players then?
They are a fucking disgrace. Whether or not they like the manager(s), there is now way this lot should be rooted to the bottom of the table and as good as relegated before the end of March.
(04-15-2018, 08:50 PM)wba_go_boing Wrote: The more I think about the more I feel totally pissed off at the players for downing tools for the 2nd half of the season

We deservedly beat Man Utd today, the same set of players deservedly beat Liverpool at Anfield in the cup & drew in the league (similar Liverpool teams that tore Man City apart in the champions league)

Between all of that many of them have looked totally abject - despite tactics / personnel not really changing much

They lack bollocks. They could not perform under pressure. Now they know they're down and there's nothing riding on the games and... hey presto!

I'll judge them next season when the pressure' s on again.
(04-15-2018, 09:18 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 08:50 PM)wba_go_boing Wrote: The more I think about the more I feel totally pissed off at the players for downing tools for the 2nd half of the season

They lack bollocks. They could not perform under pressure. Now they know they're down and there's nothing riding on the games and... hey presto!

I think some of the players do and have acted disgracefully but not many. Ben, Daws, Hegazi, Yacob, Brunt, McClean, Rondon, J Rod etc have all shown they are good pros in the past. The comments Chris Lepowski made about Pardew and the players have alluded to suggest it was a totally rudderless ship with no direction and it certainly looked that way. 

I also think Dave has gone back to basics of 4-4-2 with players who are committed and isn’t trying to shoehorn players in who disturb the balance like Evans and Krychowiak.
(04-15-2018, 09:40 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 09:18 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:

I think some of the players do and have acted disgracefully but not many. Ben, Daws, Hegazi, Yacob, Brunt, McClean, Rondon, J Rod etc have all shown they are good pros in the past. The comments Chris Lepowski made about Pardew and the players have alluded to suggest it was a totally rudderless ship with no direction and it certainly looked that way. 

I also think Dave has gone back to basics of 4-4-2 with players who are committed and isn’t trying to shoehorn players in who disturb the balance like Evans and Krychowiak.

I always advocated 442 but what do I know?..

Agree with you. We have to differentiate between those who are not good enough and those who are but haven't tried hard enough. Pot 1, for example would contain Robson, Pot 2 the despicable Evans.
Setting up defensively against the big teams is a different task to having to break down the weaker teams. Our weaknesses in having a one paced squad, no creativity and poor finishing are exposed much more in the latter. Even under Big Dave we couldn't beat Swansea at home.
(04-16-2018, 12:04 AM)Artist Wrote: Setting up defensively against the big teams is a different task to having to break down the weaker teams.  Our weaknesses in having a one paced squad, no creativity and poor finishing are exposed much more in the latter. Even under Big Dave we couldn't beat Swansea at home.

Yet, McClean, Phillips and Burke were amongst the fastest players in the league....