Cummings
That maybe true, but there is a lot more to the GFA than you or I will ever read about. Vested interests AOTS.
Brentbaggie Wrote:
HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
Brentbaggie Wrote:I think there is a great deal of difference between being highly educated and intelligent. There is often no correlation between the two.

I actually think you can be both. What you omit is what agenda. Which even modern history proves can be very tyrannical indeed, in spite of intelligence or education.

I never said you couldn't be both - the word "often" I use advisedly. Boris is theoretically highly educated but, as we are led to believe, lazy and lacking attention to detail, which doesn't seem very intelligent in a Prime Minister. Corbyn went to Shrewsbury School and so was in one sense similarly highly educated, but dim as fuck with regard to understanding what might be seen as inappropriate or costly in terms of policy or appointment of personnel. Cameron - another Etonian - was arrogant enough to imagine he knew the public mood - and he didn't. Repeat, etc.
I'm with BrentB on this. Cummings is clearly well educated and very good at his job, I've yet to see any dazzling intellect, should it exist. Also, as DH points out, he was backed by the popular press. All in all, Cummings just didn't mind being the obvious baddie, whereas the others were more concerned with their popularity. The comparison someone made with Mandelson is true.
Re the Boris bit. Totally agree, no focus and lazy. Apparently an expert on Ancient Greek yet lacking in any empathy and displaying the worst common sense of any from the silver spoon tradition. He may well be a genius but he'd lose everything if he played cards with some of the builders labourers I know.
Empathy costs you money.
You must be loaded.
(11-15-2020, 01:10 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: That maybe true, but there is a lot more to the GFA than you or I will ever read about. Vested interests AOTS.

Of course there are vested interests. Irish Unionists, Irish Republicans, British Government. But the most powerful interest is Washington. And they won't allow one of their few successful foreign interventions to be unravelled.
(11-15-2020, 07:00 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: You must be loaded.

Big Grin

that deserves some recognition
(11-15-2020, 07:00 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: You must be loaded.

Only for my family  Heart