School Dinners
This seems to have gone under the radar the last couple of days, alongside Marcus Rashford being awarded an MBE. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po...46208.html

Have this Government literally learnt nothing in the past seven months? Just when you think they can't make themselves any less popular they do this. Dominic Cummings unpaid council tax bill would have paid for around 25,000 school meals. Imagine voting for this bunch of arrogant, selfish and downright cruel bastards.
I'm not sure it's arrogant, selfish and downright cruel to expect parents to feed their kids during school holidays. On the contrary, I'd have considered it to be the minimum any parent should be able to do.
What about those struggling to make ends meet whilst the Govt are handing out multi-million pound contracts to their cronies or letting people off with council tax bills larger than most people earn in a year.

Why do Tories get so turned on by hungry kids?
(10-16-2020, 09:32 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I'm not sure it's arrogant, selfish and downright cruel to expect parents to feed their kids during school holidays. On the contrary, I'd have considered it to be the minimum any parent should be able to do.

It is if those parents have lost their jobs or have long term income reductions through no fault of their own and the price of food hasn't reduced to account for this.
(10-16-2020, 10:24 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 09:32 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I'm not sure it's arrogant, selfish and downright cruel to expect parents to feed their kids during school holidays. On the contrary, I'd have considered it to be the minimum any parent should be able to do.

It is if those parents have lost their jobs or have long term income reductions through no fault of their own and the price of food hasn't reduced to account for this.

No, I rather think that's life. Food has rarely been cheaper nor more plentiful. The benefits system, foodbanks and charities already provide for those whose income has taken a hit.

Maybe the Trussell Trust could use some of the £62,000 + on costs it deems necessary to pay its new Diversity Director....
(10-16-2020, 10:30 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

No, I rather think that's life. Food has rarely been cheaper nor more plentiful. The benefits system, foodbanks and charities already provide for those whose income has taken a hit.

Maybe the Trussell Trust could use some of the £62,000 + on costs it deems necessary to pay its new Diversity Director....

Relatively, thanks to incomes decreasing, it is more expensive now to buy than its been in recent times, food isn't as plentiful over winter as it is over the other three seasons for obvious reasons, £62k isn't going to stretch to cover the number of people for obvious reasons and donations to charities and food banks are dropping with demand increasing.

The government has screwed over the parents, the government can pay for food for the children. Given how eager they've been to waste taxpayer resources they can very easily waste a bit more on an objectively good initiative instead of funneling funds into Tory linked companies.
(10-16-2020, 09:09 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: This seems to have gone under the radar the last couple of days, alongside Marcus Rashford being awarded an MBE. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po...46208.html

Have this Government literally learnt nothing in the past seven months? Just when you think they can't make themselves any less popular they do this. Dominic Cummings unpaid council tax bill would have paid for around 25,000 school meals. Imagine voting for this bunch of arrogant, selfish and downright cruel bastards.

Our kids started off with 3-4 school meals a day and now they have one, max. All they seemed to be served is carbo-shite. Doesn't answer your question but this whole revolutionising of school meals in general has gone backwards.

Got to love the hypocrisy. 

What about vulnerable young people’s education we must remember they are suffering because of Covid restrictions. Says the right. 

But what about those whose families who are struggling to put food on the table? 

That’s their’s and their families problem! Says the right. 

Let’s be honest the concern for the most vulnerable by the right is just a convenient mechanism for them to criticise any lockdown measures. They showed little if any concern for the vulnerable and poorest during ten years of austerity. 

If only families who needed the help were friends with a prominent member of the government they could set up a company with no experience of the catering sector and charge the government millions to deliver meals on behalf of the government. They wouldn’t even have to be any good at it!

If there was consistency of concern or even a lack of I’d be more respectful of them.

This is very typical of right wing thought.

Do a bit of whataboutery about the salary of a job you don't think should exist.

But 2 can play that game, so what about £7k a day paid to management consultants to (mis)manage the track and trace scheme. 

On the issue of school dinners - it is an interesting point raised . Why do the Govt think it is right to discontinue paying for lunches for children from disadvantaged backgrounds in school holidays, when they cover the cost in school terms.
(10-16-2020, 11:34 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

This is very typical of right wing thought.

Do a bit of whataboutery about the salary of a job you don't think should exist.

But 2 can play that game, so what about £7k a day paid to management consultants to (mis)manage the track and trace scheme. 

On the issue of school dinners - it is an interesting point raised . Why do the Govt think it is right to discontinue paying for lunches for children from disadvantaged backgrounds in school holidays, when they cover the cost in school terms.

I agree about the payments to consultants.

On the issue of school dinners in school holidays? Because when did it stop being a parent's reponsibility to feed their kids? TBH I can't believe this is even a debate.

(10-16-2020, 11:22 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Got to love the hypocrisy.

No hypocrisy at all. The state educates kids. Parents feed them.