Excel Spreadsheets
Perfect for handling large, multi point data with need for reference points and querying.

Wait... It's not?

If our government could be any more incompetent I'd love to see how.
Is it true that the file contained one case per column instead of per row, blowing excel's limit?
(10-07-2020, 01:21 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Is it true that the file contained one case per column instead of per row, blowing excel's limit?

They were CSV files sent to them from the labs so I imagine they just tried to import the information.
(10-07-2020, 01:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 01:21 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Is it true that the file contained one case per column instead of per row, blowing excel's limit?

They were CSV files sent to them from the labs so I imagine they just tried to import the information.

Yeah.

Rather than script CSV files into an actual database, they just imported them into Excel, as bad as that is to start with, they then used an old file format which couldn't support anywhere near that much data.

Honestly, the Computing pages and groups I'm on have been laughing solid since this came to light. They are nerds remember....

A 2nd Year Computing Student (The lamest of the Computing related Degrees) Could have come up with something better.
(10-07-2020, 01:51 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 01:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Yeah.

Rather than script CSV files into an actual database, they just imported them into Excel, as bad as that is to start with, they then used an old file format which couldn't support anywhere near that much data.

Honestly, the Computing pages and groups I'm on have been laughing solid since this came to light. They are nerds remember....

A 2nd Year Computing Student (The lamest of the Computing related Degrees) Could have come up with something better.

I remember those days.

Anything manual is bound to fuck up at some point. The poor cunt doing it was probably on furlough, working part-time and out of practice.
The problem was it was an old version of Excel, and ... they were using Excel.

Excel 2003 has a max of 65000 rows - whoever thought that was going to be enough needs firing. And the person who thought Excel was the answer in the first place needs firing. All this money blown to various contractors for test and trace and we get this.