These here students
(09-28-2020, 09:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Perhaps all those university lecturers smugly thinking they can deliver a degree by pre-recording zoom lectures ought to have their work recorded, and then be fired. The videos can then be shown to future generations of students and tuition fees abolished.

You can thank me later.

But, but, but what about protecting jobs?
(09-28-2020, 09:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Perhaps all those university lecturers smugly thinking they can deliver a degree by pre-recording zoom lectures ought to have their work recorded, and then be fired. The videos can then be shown to future generations of students and tuition fees abolished.

You can thank me later.

You know conference technology works two ways don’t you? You can even discuss things over the internet with moving photos I’ve heard! 

Got to love working class Tories obsession with criticising higher education. It’s a hobby I suppose.
(09-28-2020, 10:35 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

You can thank me later.

This is so dumb I'm pretty sure a load of my brain cells died reading it

Thousands of Open University graduates would beg to differ.
(09-29-2020, 09:48 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

You can thank me later.

Did you go to uni and did you pay?
(09-29-2020, 10:55 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

You can thank me later.

Fortunately I went before the Labour Party introduced tuition fees. However I did pay back a maintenance loan.

In pre Covid years Tuition Fees were tremendous value  considering that very few people would ever pay them back - particulalrly girls. Economically imbecilic for the nation, but great value for students.

You can thank me later.

Open University courses and other online degrees still have teaching staff to help students on their courses, they're not just pre-recorded lectures. That's not to mention stuff like technical demonstrations, dissertations/final year projects/theses, research positions alongside teaching duties and you'd need to rehire loads of staff to teach in physical universities once the dust settles.

So, as I said, what you just proposed is moronic.
(09-29-2020, 11:25 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

You can thank me later.

Fortunately I went before the Labour Party introduced tuition fees. However I did pay back a maintenance loan.

In pre Covid years Tuition Fees were tremendous value  considering that very few people would ever pay them back - particulalrly girls. Economically imbecilic for the nation, but great value for students.

Oh I see, so now you’ve benefited from the whole university experience you want everyone to go online or was it just a lazy opportunity to insult academics?

You can thank me later.

You're not supposed to "pay them back" as the repayment terms are designed to replicate a 30 year graduate tax, that's why the interest rates are so high.

You can thank me later.

In her third year, my daughter had less than 8 hours per week face to face time with lecturers, 2 lectures and 1 tutorial. (If the professor wasn’t busy with his extra uni work / research that is) not what I would call value for money for £9,000 quid plus accommodation and living expenses.
(09-29-2020, 12:10 PM)JOK Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 10:35 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: This is so dumb I'm pretty sure a load of my brain cells died reading it

In her third year, my daughter had less than 8 hours per week face to face time with lecturers, 2 lectures and 1 tutorial. (If the professor wasn’t busy with his extra uni work / research that is) not what I would call value for money for £9,000 quid plus accommodation and living expenses.

The £9,000 (actually more now) is due to making up the shortfall in cuts to the block university grants and making funding in line with the number of students accepted (that's why there were limits placed on the number of admissions per year, to limit funding). It's not a random number plucked out of thin air. The repayment terms for the loan are more than fair as they replicate a graduate tax (though in my opinion it should be a proper graduate tax that rich people can't opt out of) but the real scandal was the post-2015 government removing maintenance grants.

Ultimately, the money is paid by the Treasury to the university regardless as it was pre-2010 and pre-fees with the funding recouped by general taxation and a tax in all but name but the main purpose of the fees is an accounting tricks to manipulate the size of the deficit in the short term.