These here students
Now it's not going to be a surprise to anyone that students will party and get together in big groups when they go to Uni, especially for freshers week, so I'm not certain why it's a big surprise that the virus has been able to spread amongst them. However, there seems to be a lack of detail about how it's affecting them, are they collapsing with the illness, or are they lying in bed with, what we used to call, freshers flu?

If it's the latter then why are they locking them into halls, this isn't a new phenomenon at this time of year, so why aren't they being treated as some form of bubble that needs to be contained whilst they go about their learning. If the virus is behaving as it has done the serious effects of this for that age group will be flu-like without being life-threatening.

Once again the government have done something without thinking through the options and are now having to react to it. They really are fucking imbeciles.

If there is no real threat to the age group and the lecturers / staff can be protected then they should be allowed to carry on. When it comes to returning home for Christmas, start the testing mid-November, tell the students to go into a form of lockdown and let them go home when they have had two negative tests two weeks apart.
The cynic in me tends to think maybe the universities just wanted to be up and running (and charging fees for accommodation), while all the time knowing they would ultimately be doing most coursework online?
(09-27-2020, 03:46 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Now it's not going to be a surprise to anyone that students will party and get together in big groups when they go to Uni, especially for freshers week, so I'm not certain why it's a big surprise that the virus has been able to spread amongst them. However, there seems to be a lack of detail about how it's affecting them, are they collapsing with the illness, or are they lying in bed with, what we used to call, freshers flu?

If it's the latter then why are they locking them into halls, this isn't a new phenomenon at this time of year, so why aren't they being treated as some form of bubble that needs to be contained whilst they go about their learning. If the virus is behaving as it has done the serious effects of this for that age group will be flu-like without being life-threatening.

Once again the government have done something without thinking through the options and are now having to react to it. They really are fucking imbeciles.

If there is no real threat to the age group and the lecturers / staff can be protected then they should be allowed to carry on. When it comes to returning home for Christmas, start the testing mid-November, tell the students to go into a form of lockdown and let them go home when they have had two negative tests two weeks apart.

That's too logical for this government!
(09-27-2020, 03:46 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Now it's not going to be a surprise to anyone that students will party and get together in big groups when they go to Uni, especially for freshers week, so I'm not certain why it's a big surprise that the virus has been able to spread amongst them. However, there seems to be a lack of detail about how it's affecting them, are they collapsing with the illness, or are they lying in bed with, what we used to call, freshers flu?

Your talking about people who are mainly selfish as long as it doesnt affect them fuck everyone else .
And you still vote for them
cant see how there can be any debate about them coming home for christmas.

no politician surely is going to put that in place.
(09-27-2020, 03:52 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: The cynic in me tends to think maybe the universities just wanted to be up and running (and charging fees for accommodation), while all the time knowing they would ultimately be doing most coursework online?

By cynic you mean realist.

Eldest daughter enjoying first week at uni, all of her lectures will be on line, think there is still hope for there to be face to face tutorials, but suspect hope is all it will be.

Mind she's level headed and is making the best of it and seems to be enjoying herself.
Shabby Russian Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:The cynic in me tends to think maybe the universities just wanted to be up and running (and charging fees for accommodation), while all the time knowing they would ultimately be doing most coursework online?

By cynic you mean realist.

Eldest daughter enjoying first week at uni, all of her lectures will be on line, think there is still hope for there to be face to face tutorials, but suspect hope is all it will be.

Mind she's level headed and is making the best of it and seems to be enjoying herself.

Good to hear she is enjoying herself. I hope they all get some face to face tutorials at some point.
Perhaps all those university lecturers smugly thinking they can deliver a degree by pre-recording zoom lectures ought to have their work recorded, and then be fired. The videos can then be shown to future generations of students and tuition fees abolished.

You can thank me later.
(09-28-2020, 09:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Perhaps all those university lecturers smugly thinking they can deliver a degree by pre-recording zoom lectures ought to have their work recorded, and then be fired. The videos can then be shown to future generations of students and tuition fees abolished.

You can thank me later.

This is so dumb I'm pretty sure a load of my brain cells died reading it