Is this country now a kleptocracy
Well this moved away from the topic fairly quickly.

I was no fan of Blair - although i would say his Govt was the most competent in my adult lifetime - and there was an element of cronyism, the cash for peerage was not a good look for any political party.

But it is my impression that the way taxpayers' money is being used by this Government demands merits close scrutiny.
(09-11-2020, 05:56 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:27 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:17 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:42 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 11:16 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: It’s all perfectly acceptable. 

Yours 

Alice Protheroe

It’s always been the way.

Just like all of Blair’s chums run the judiciary

(09-11-2020, 04:34 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Those that voted for them cannot back down and admit they voted for the worst government in living memory because that would be an admission that their judgment was terrible. Instead they will twist themselves up in knots to justify their decision.

How many troops has Johnson sent to die on a lie?

You do realise Boris Johnson actually voted for the Iraq War as an MP right? On top of voting for Parliament to commit to send British troops to die.

Ed Davey, meanwhile, voted against.
Yes, but read the Chilcot Report. Blair misled Parliament.

Mate, the Tories were chomping at the bit to get involved in Iraq before Blair even mentioned WMDs in Parliament. Iain Duncan Smith, then Tory leader, called for retaliatory action in Iraq before Blair even did and Boris Johnson voted with his then Tory handlers. That's not to mention that the claims made to Parliament by Blair clearly didn't hold up to any level of scrutiny which is why the Lib Dems decided to oppose intervention in Iraq while they did support action in Kosovo, the claims were clearly made with a foundation built of custard and any level of critical thinking, of which an MP surely has, would be able to decipher that it was rubbish. That's not to mention that the criticisms that Labour were found liable to in Chilcot also apply to the Tories.

As far as I care all 412 MPs who voted for action are implicit in the deaths of all British troops in Iraq and should be made to answer to the Hague for war crimes committed against Iraqi citizens in an outright unjust war as per UNSC resolution 1441, this includes the 146 Tory MPs of which Boris Johnson was one of.

Going to war with Iraq was the correct decision over humanitarian reasons. Not having an end game or a route to it was why it ended up being such a clusterfuck.
Back to the original point, how many millions / billions have been given to private companies with no tender process in place since this government slithered into power?
(09-12-2020, 07:17 AM)Fido Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:56 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:27 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:17 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:42 PM)Jack Halford Wrote: It’s always been the way.

You do realise Boris Johnson actually voted for the Iraq War as an MP right? On top of voting for Parliament to commit to send British troops to die.

Ed Davey, meanwhile, voted against.
Yes, but read the Chilcot Report. Blair misled Parliament.

Mate, the Tories were chomping at the bit to get involved in Iraq before Blair even mentioned WMDs in Parliament. Iain Duncan Smith, then Tory leader, called for retaliatory action in Iraq before Blair even did and Boris Johnson voted with his then Tory handlers. That's not to mention that the claims made to Parliament by Blair clearly didn't hold up to any level of scrutiny which is why the Lib Dems decided to oppose intervention in Iraq while they did support action in Kosovo, the claims were clearly made with a foundation built of custard and any level of critical thinking, of which an MP surely has, would be able to decipher that it was rubbish. That's not to mention that the criticisms that Labour were found liable to in Chilcot also apply to the Tories.

As far as I care all 412 MPs who voted for action are implicit in the deaths of all British troops in Iraq and should be made to answer to the Hague for war crimes committed against Iraqi citizens in an outright unjust war as per UNSC resolution 1441, this includes the 146 Tory MPs of which Boris Johnson was one of.

Going to war with Iraq was the correct decision over humanitarian reasons. Not having an end game or a route to it was why it ended up being such a clusterfuck.

There was no legal basis for the Iraq war whatsover, it was objectively the wrong decision and the reason we went to war was due to nuclear weapons that didn't exist and an attack on the US that Iraq had nothing to do with.

If the supposed "justification" was to get rid of Saddam, then the Tories and Labour along with the US wouldn't have tried to block UN intervention into Iraq through the US Security Forces as used in Kosovo.

Yours 

Alice Protheroe

(09-11-2020, 04:34 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:17 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 10:53 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I had to google it but based on the evidence I would say partially (If it can be in the pregnant / not pregnant example) as they do seem to be dishing out contracts and government funds to friends and associates. I struggle to see how this hasn't been made a much bigger issue tbh.

You can say that again.

Some of the things that the UK Govt has done in the past 12 months beggar belief.

Those that voted for them cannot back down and admit they voted for the worst government in living memory because that would be an admission that their judgment was terrible. Instead they will twist themselves up in knots to justify their decision.

Probably the most crass post I've ever read on here...and theres plenty of competition, trust me.

The answer is none...just defenseless pensioners who didn't willingly sign up to put their life on the line and committed health professionals.
Now fuck off back under your stone you twat!

Yours 

Alice Protheroe

(09-11-2020, 10:53 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I had to google it but based on the evidence I would say partially (If it can be in the pregnant / not pregnant example) as they do seem to be dishing out contracts and government funds to friends and associates. I struggle to see how this hasn't been made a much bigger issue tbh.

You can say that again.

Some of the things that the UK Govt has done in the past 12 months beggar belief.

Those that voted for them cannot back down and admit they voted for the worst government in living memory because that would be an admission that their judgment was terrible. Instead they will twist themselves up in knots to justify their decision.

And Corbyn would have been worse, so there was only one choice. Now Starmer the slimy car salesman is in opposition - so Labour still have no chance. They need to find a worthy leader so we can have a proper opposition with a proper chance of holding govt to account over (I agree) the stupid and corrupt things they do.
(09-13-2020, 10:17 AM)FenlandBoing Wrote:

Yours 

Alice Protheroe

You can say that again.

And Corbyn would have been worse, so there was only one choice. Now Starmer the slimy car salesman is in opposition - so Labour still have no chance. They need to find a worthy leader so we can have a proper opposition with a proper chance of holding govt to account over (I agree) the stupid and corrupt things they do.

You would still vote for this government after the catalogue of incompetence, cronyism, making lying an art form, pushing a bill through parliament that breaks international law, u-turns galore in just over one year! 

You call Starmer slimy Used car salesman wtf are Johnson, Cummings, Gove, Patel, Jenrick, Grant Schapps, or whatever he’s calling himself today, Hancock, JRM, Williamson? 

Just what do they have to do to be unelectable?

Here’s the latest trashing of our reputation...

[Image: EhyBX1GWkAAI_3l?format=jpg&name=large]
(09-13-2020, 12:09 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:

Yours 

Alice Protheroe

You can say that again.

Probably the most crass post I've ever read on here...and theres plenty of competition, trust me.

The answer is none...just defenseless pensioners who didn't willingly sign up to put their life on the line and committed health professionals.
Now fuck off back under your stone you twat!
It does appear that whenever there is a criticism of Johnson and the current government/backbench Johnsonite shysters and Cummings' puppets, there is an instant deflection of "What about Blair and the war" almost as if it is kneejerk (or, indeed, a "non MSM" policy) of the Altright) to "flick the switch" to Blair.  As if nobody ever thought about it before or resisted the war from the Left, or that nearly all the Tories were themsleves gung ho for the war. 

I may be wrong, though, and the Blair references (as non sequiturs) are purely coincidental..
(09-12-2020, 09:02 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Back to the original point, how many millions / billions have been given to private companies with no tender process in place since this government slithered into power?

You have a point, but frankly even with so called competitive tendering governments have a woeful record
of financial and budgetry control. The special powers that this governemnt granted to deal with the Covid
crises and resutling spending should be scrutinised, but the can has not only been kicked down the road it
is almost out of sight.
(09-14-2020, 12:11 PM)PeakBaggie Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 09:02 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Back to the original point, how many millions / billions have been given to private companies with no tender process in place since this government slithered into power?

You have a point, but frankly even with so called competitive tendering governments have a woeful record
of financial and budgetry control. The special powers that this governemnt granted to deal with the Covid
crises and resutling spending should be scrutinised, but the can has not only been kicked down the road it
is almost out of sight.

Spot on PeakBaggie.