I do hope it was a private moment.
(08-29-2020, 09:59 AM)hudds Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 05:50 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 04:42 PM)hudds Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:22 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:16 PM)hudds Wrote: It's French - the singular is agendeau

Latin ay it?

Well, wor it - once upon a time?
Yo God saft mawkin - it wor French!!!  O' course iss Latin, ah wos only plaerguin yer.

French is really what Latin became apparently.

I think Giuseppe would like a word.

Peut etre. But Italian ay Latin and Italian isn't (wasn't) a single language per se (oo, get me!).  In that context, I recall readin someweer  that the vulgar Latin of the Gauls is what Latin splintered into but j'oublie.

Italian is closer to other Romance languages than French so surely Italian is closer to historically spoken Latin.

Also, I can speak Spanish to an Italian speaking Italian and we can understand each other, can't do that with French.
(08-28-2020, 03:22 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:16 PM)hudds Wrote: It's French - the singular is agendeau

Latin ay it?

Yo God saft mawkin - it wor French!!!  O' course iss Latin, ah wos only plaerguin yer.

Peut etre. But Italian ay Latin and Italian isn't (wasn't) a single language per se (oo, get me!).  In that context, I recall readin someweer  that the vulgar Latin of the Gauls is what Latin splintered into but j'oublie.

I never said Italian was Latin but it's a lot bloody closer to it than French is.
(08-29-2020, 01:03 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:22 PM)Ossian Wrote: Latin ay it?

I never said Italian was Latin but it's a lot bloody closer to it than French is.

According to that internet, "According to many sources, Italian is the closest language to Latin in terms of vocabulary. According to the Ethnologue, Lexical similarity is 89% with French, 87% with Catalan, 85% with Sardinian, 82% with Spanish, 80% with Portuguese, 78% with Ladin, 77% with Romanian."

According to a Quora quote (which may be the sort of thing I picked up): "the Sardinian language is the closest one to Vulgar Latin that is still spoken nowadays; because of its isolation (Sardinia is an island) the Sardinian language was shielded from outside influence, and remained more isolated than other romance languages throughout History. The result is that while the Sardinian language has evolved a bit since the time of Vulgar Latin, it is much closer to it, in terms of phonology and syntax, than other romance languages.

On the other hand, the most distant modern Romance language, compared to Vulgar Latin, would be French."