A-Level Results
39% of A level results downgraded in England. Not one downgraded in Eton.

From last year but relevant: https://www.theguardian.com/education/20...admissions

[Image: EfX6uDSXgAAYfPC?format=jpg&name=small]
(08-14-2020, 12:00 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: 39% of A level results downgraded in England. Not one downgraded in Eton.

From last year but relevant: https://www.theguardian.com/education/20...admissions

A collection of faces I wouldn't tire of kicking.
(08-14-2020, 01:23 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 12:00 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: 39% of A level results downgraded in England. Not one downgraded in Eton.

BLIMEY
(08-14-2020, 11:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Harrow educated Lord Bethel 

I fluffed my A-levels. Taught me how to hustle. First to get a place in Univeristy. And haven’t stopped ever since. Grades are great, but grit and perseverance win every time.

However did he do so well? 

We can rest easy safe in the knowledge that we have elected a Govt that is committed to fighting elitism, wherever it exists.
(08-14-2020, 01:30 PM)The liquidator Wrote:

BLIMEY

Why the surprise?

They've enjoyed kicking the British people in the balls for a few years now.

What I can never understand is the number of so-called 'working class'folk who support them.
Perhaps partly due to believing the jingoism and blusto and partly due to not being very bright.
Yeah, let's just let teachers predict whatever they want. Not like they have vested interests in the school league tables (the worst invention ever).

Everybody should get an A* and there should be no oversight whatsoever  Rolleyes
"I'm not a nerd Bart. Nerds are smart"
(08-14-2020, 03:46 PM)Fall Out Boy Wrote: Yeah, let's just let teachers predict whatever they want. Not like they have vested interests in the school league tables (the worst invention ever).

Everybody should get an A* and there should be no oversight whatsoever  Rolleyes

And back in the real world the teachers were not predicting A grades for everyone.

In fact one of the more bizarre anomalies this system turned up was that in some cases teachers gave a U grade to some pupils on the basis that they had given up and were almost certain they would not attend the exam, only for that grade to be changed to an E
(08-14-2020, 03:32 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 01:30 PM)The liquidator Wrote:

BLIMEY

Why the surprise?

They've enjoyed kicking the British people in the balls for a few years now.

What I can never understand is the number of so-called 'working class'folk who support them.
Perhaps partly due to believing the jingoism and blusto and partly due to not being very bright.

No one else to vote for dont even mention labour into the debate .
(08-14-2020, 04:24 PM)The liquidator Wrote: No one else to vote for dont even mention labour into the debate .

You're not forced to vote you know. Anyway, that's sorted now for next time.
(08-13-2020, 06:10 PM)Protheroe Wrote: I'm not defending anything. I think it's vaguely ridiculous that they've been able to come up with any system whatsoever.  My teachers had great hopes for me, then I discovered girls and house music. If I'd have got the grades they predicted I'd have gone to University a year earlier and missed out one the best years of my life bumming round the Midlands doing mobile discos.

It's a little sad to define yourself by academic achievement so young. Yes I do feel sorry for those who haven't got what they feel they deserved, some of them haven't - some of them have. Like I say - character is born out of adversity and most of the succesful people I know have dealt with adversity well and often turned it to their advantage.

You had control over that.

The people getting their A-level results do not.

"Feel they deserved" get to fuck.

My two pence on this. I fucked up my mocks (couldn't be arsed to do them properly) and got predicted BBB at A Level thanks to them being my AS results, ended up with AAB after working my arse off from January till my last exam. Thank fuck I did my A Levels when I did as I would have been screwed over if I had them now.

The decision to scrap intermediate exams for both A Level and GCSE (AS Level and Year 10 GCSE's) in England purely to make the exams "harder" (read make them memory tests instead of requiring more logical application) is biting people in the arse on this and has ended up adding another example as to why the decision to scrap them is stupid, if kids did AS Levels as they do in Wales they would have had a periodic benchmark as to which they could apply as a baseline as they're doing in Wales where they weren't scrapped.