Whisky Club
Lagavulin and any Islay malts. When the peaty, smoky aroma fills your head the world seems a damned good place to be in. Delusional, admittedly, but that’s what you pay for.
(08-12-2020, 06:01 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 02:35 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 08:18 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Tried it over the years including pricey single malts at my mate's - always makes me gag so it's a no from me.  Undecided

You go to your mate's and they release their expensive liquid into your throat for you to gag?? Hmmmmm Wink

I bought some 12 year old Sherry oak Macallan the other week, just can't bring myself to open it, for me the just shy of £60 a bottle needs a special occasion, some of the ones mentioned on here I'd be scared of picking up and dropping the bottle!!

Me and my mate had been going to the Whisky Festivals in Brum / Stourbridge, but now his meds are through the roof he can't drink, so last years will likely be our last. Cracking day out for anyone who even remotely enjoys whisky, always get completely wankered!
I love my single malts but only in drams and treated with respect.  I still have memories of teenage years, chasing down Banks's with Bells whisky. It is the ultimate in hangovers. I could even taste it all the next day with every cup of tea or glass of water. Even the thought of a whisky hangover makes me shudder.

Oh they come in drams, and are treated respectfully...then all of a sudden you fall over and can't get your boots off...

Tried a Penderyn unlabelled one at the last fest, it was some special thing they were working on, was very lovely.
I used to really like malt whisky but as I've got older I've found most spirits, especially whisky, a real challenge.
My favourite used to be Oban and I visited the distillery a couple of times.
I currently have a bottle of American Eagle bourbon that came with a very good Sadlers beer offer a month or two back. I thought it might make a good gift one day. Is it an ok one?
(08-12-2020, 06:40 PM)DemonicBaggie Wrote: Lagavulin and any Islay malts. When the peaty, smoky aroma fills your head the world seems a damned good place to be in. Delusional, admittedly, but that’s what you pay for.

I'm with you on this.
(08-13-2020, 01:33 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 06:40 PM)DemonicBaggie Wrote: Lagavulin and any Islay malts. When the peaty, smoky aroma fills your head the world seems a damned good place to be in. Delusional, admittedly, but that’s what you pay for.

I'm with you on this.

Thirded, however I've jacked in whisky since Christmas as the hangovers were horrendous.  Lagavulin probably my favourite, but love Caol Ila, Bowmore, Laphroaig and Ardbeg.  My lass reckons they all smell of antiseptic.  Quite partial to Irish as well due to the peatiness.  Is that a word?
(08-13-2020, 01:58 PM)Mish Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 01:33 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:

I'm with you on this.

Thirded, however I've jacked in whisky since Christmas as the hangovers were horrendous.  Lagavulin probably my favourite, but love Caol Ila, Bowmore, Laphroaig and Ardbeg.  My lass reckons they all smell of antiseptic.  Quite partial to Irish as well due to the peatiness.  Is that a word?

Irish whiskey isn't peated as standard.  Newer expressions are using peat but peat hasn't been used for two centuries or so.
Interesting that peaty numbers are the most popular considering they're a little more inaccessible to the newcomer. I'm into the sherried, fruity, almondy, christmas cake-y, rich expressions myself.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of these: https://www.htfw.com/drinks-by-the-dram-...asting-set

Planning to do a couple of tasting sessions with some mates over video chat. Interested in the 57 North and Glenfarclas 105. I suspect the Brimstone will be too much smoke for me. Spice Tree sounds interesting and Laga is Laga.
15 year old Longmorn - the old version in the black box. Or a Macallan 18 year old if I feel like a spoil!
(08-13-2020, 04:17 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Interesting that peaty numbers are the most popular considering they're a little more inaccessible to the newcomer. I'm into the sherried, fruity, almondy, christmas cake-y, rich expressions myself.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of these: https://www.htfw.com/drinks-by-the-dram-...asting-set  

Planning to do a couple of tasting sessions with some mates over video chat. Interested in the 57 North and Glenfarclas 105. I suspect the Brimstone will be too much smoke for me. Spice Tree sounds interesting and Laga is Laga.

If you haven’t already done so then do consider glenfarclas 15, or if feeling very flush a glendronach 18 for a very good sherried dram.
(08-13-2020, 01:30 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: I used to really like malt whisky but as I've got older I've found most spirits, especially whisky, a real challenge.
My favourite used to be Oban and I visited the distillery a couple of times.
I currently have a bottle of American Eagle bourbon that came with a very good Sadlers beer offer a month or two back. I thought it might make a good gift one day. Is it an ok one?

Solly, if it's Eagle Rare it will be bostin'. Don't give it away, drink it yourself.

Should have mentioned in my previous diatribe, Amrut Fusion is awesome. Exported Indian whisky (funny, it's not easy to find in Mumbai).

Amrut tends to score well in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. Well worth buying a copy. I know it's only one man's opinions, but he makes the effort to try these things for us year on year. Hardest job in the world, I reckon.