Anyone even back into the work office yet?
It's going to be a bit of both.

Outsourcing was already taking people out of the office, this will just speed things up.

However, people might like working from home at the moment, but will they in 5 years time? I've worked a couple of days a week out of the office for about a decade, it soon becomes tiresome. You are out of the loop and you do miss out on the 'culture' of the company.

Ultimately, Office space is expensive, so at the moment it's in everybody's interest to either outsource or work from home. 

Once rent goes down to a manageable level and people tire of working and living for 24 hours a day crammed into their London one bedroom flat sharing a living room doubling as an office with their 'slightly annoying' partner, I foresee the process gradually reversing. Not to how it is was, but close to it.
(08-03-2020, 11:15 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: It's going to be a bit of both.

Outsourcing was already taking people out of the office, this will just speed things up.
But, people might like working from home at the moment, but will they in 5 years time? I've worked a couple of days a week out of the office for about a decade, it soon becomes tiresome. You are out of the loop and you do miss out on the 'culture' of the company.

Ultimately, Office space is expensive, so at the moment it's in everybody's interest to either outsource or work from home. 

Once rent goes down to a manageable level and people tire of working and living for 24 hours a day in their one bedroom flat in London with their 'slightly annoying' partner, I foresee the process gradually reversing. Not to how it is was, but close to it.

I agree. My place has allowed 1-2 days a week from home for the last two years, so it’s not new to me. But I agree a mixture will be the way forward.
What's a office ffs ........puffs
(08-03-2020, 11:41 AM)The liquidator Wrote: What's a office ffs ........puffs

Haven't heard that insult since the 70's.
(08-03-2020, 11:15 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Once rent goes down to a manageable level and people tire of working and living for 24 hours a day crammed into their London one bedroom flat sharing a living room doubling as an office with their 'slightly annoying' partner, I foresee the process gradually reversing. Not to how it is was, but close to it.

If you're young and in an small flat in a city without an office or even a kitchen table I can understand why you might be desperate to get back to the office. On the other hand, if you're working from a spacious home office in the suburbs or countryside I wonder why you'd ever consider going back to the office full time ever again.
(08-03-2020, 11:52 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 11:15 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Once rent goes down to a manageable level and people tire of working and living for 24 hours a day crammed into their London one bedroom flat sharing a living room doubling as an office with their 'slightly annoying' partner, I foresee the process gradually reversing. Not to how it is was, but close to it.

If you're young and in an small flat in a city without an office or even a kitchen table I can understand why you might be desperate to get back to the office. On the other hand, if you're working from a spacious home office in the suburbs or countryside I wonder why you'd ever consider going back to the office full time ever again.

Reasons why you’d consider going back to the office have been listed above, there’s definite positives to working in an office rather than home (and negatives too). Just depends on the individual.

This. My missus has been homeworking for about 6 months now. Doesnt miss the daily back n forth to Fort Dunlop, and is actually more productive.  If i could bring my machine home from my workplace and run it in the back garden I would do so in a heartbeat !!
(08-03-2020, 11:57 AM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote:

This. My missus has been homeworking for about 6 months now. Doesnt miss the daily back n forth to Fort Dunlop, and is actually more productive.  If i could bring my machine home from my workplace and run it in the back garden I would do so in a heartbeat !!

I’ve been working at home 5 months and really want to go back to the office. All depends on the individual and their circumstances.
Been working from home since March, all the discussion so far suggests we won't be back in the office full time for a long while, if at all.

No reason working arrangements can't be more flexibble to suit peoples needs at home/reducing the need for large office spaces or unnecessary travel.

A 2/3 day home/office split seems a reasonable starting point and still ensures you get the interaction with colleagues that is required.
(08-03-2020, 10:04 AM)Protheroe Wrote: One of my friends is a partner at Avison Young (formerly GVA Grimley). They had firm wide Zoom on the arrangements for returning to the office.

Anonymous poll prior to presentation - 40% want to return. Anonymous poll after presentation - 34% want to return.

My FM Team is working to reboot offices for firms seeking to return to work. The elephant in the room is that you need to recommission everything whether you have 1 or 100 people at work in the office. We've already dealt with Legionella bacteria in several water systems, extensive rodent problems, erecting desktop hygiene screens that effectively act as cells and altering the layout of lift lobbies.

Moreover we've been retained to mothball extensive office space and run down plant (to failure if necessary) where a couple of years are left on a lease.

Commercial property returns are doomed in the short to medium term. #BuyGold

I've just leased one so I'm doing my bit! 

Is Legionella as fit as her sister BTW?

Back to topic, I can't wait. Working at home sucks, and I've done it for 2 years now, I miss the office/factory environment. You are never fully on and never fully off otherwise, even when on holiday.

PS re. plant RTF be careful you don't shirk your PSS2000 (or whatever it is now) regs or your auditor will be all over you. But do let me know if you have a decent compressor going, have an imminent need.