Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was in Dinglehampton one day this week
To be fair FF, Brum is actually very impressive now. My best man was head concierge at the Savoy and left for London in 85. He comes back to Brum each year for a day on the piss with me and he reckons Brum is a match for most major cities he visits.
Incidentally, my first girl friend was at Wolverhampton Poly in the mid 80s. It was so depressing going to visit her there.
It got worse when she got students digs in Wednesfield.
(01-12-2018, 10:15 PM)Foo Fighters Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:14 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: I’m not a tourist so can’t advise. But it’s a great place to work and go out with family and friends. It’s got a better vibe than London or Manchester. Both places I’ve visited and not enjoyed what-so-ever.

Pretend I’m a tourist. Where do you suggest I go and visit?

The back to back project - my mates dad owned the tailors. It’s a fine example of how the working class folk used to live.
The Birmingham museum and art gallery
The Barber institute 
The Ikon Gallery
Soho house museum 
You could eat at one of the Michelin starred restaurants or if you fancy going cheap you could go and get a curry in the Balti triangle (where the dish was invented)
Sarhole mill or the towers in Edgbaston for Tolkien fans 
Sutton Park
The lickey hills 
The jewellery quarter
That’s just what I can think off the top of my head,sure there is far more if you bother to look.

(01-12-2018, 10:56 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:54 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Why does it matter if you’re an tourist? It’s not a shit hole IMO. I’d easily live in Nrum City’s centre.

(01-12-2018, 10:43 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:12 PM)Foo Fighters Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:11 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote: I like Brum. There are far worse places. It has also improved vastly.

Tell me what is worth seeing in a Brum as a tourist?

No idea. Not thought of that as I'm not a tourist. I love the Soho road, I take my lad to the library and Think tank, I have mates in Sparkbrook. I like the markets and the museum and art gallery. I also have lovely family memories of times spent there.

(01-12-2018, 10:20 PM)Ed_Hopper Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:15 PM)Foo Fighters Wrote: Pretend I’m a tourist. Where do you suggest I go and visit?

Try the hawthorns

He wouldn't know the way.  Big Grin

Been going since 95, and currently a STH...

Not you you daft cunt.

Big Grin
Have to agree with the opening post; Wolverhampton is a dump! As a born and bred Brummie, and having lived in or near lots of interesting places during my time in the RAF, I ended up in Wolverhampton ( of all f’ing places) when I left. Absolute shit hole, made worse by the fact I worked with inbreds (Dingles) and wankers (Villa fans). Thank fuck I got a job in Brum, and a move back to my hometown.

P.S. Wild horses couldn’t drag me back from Auckland though Wink
(01-12-2018, 11:21 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:14 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: I’m not a tourist so can’t advise. But it’s a great place to work and go out with family and friends. It’s got a better vibe than London or Manchester. Both places I’ve visited and not enjoyed what-so-ever.

The back to back project - my mates dad owned the tailors. It’s a fine example of how the working class folk used to live.
The Barber institute 
The Ikon Gallery
Soho house museum 
You could eat at one of the Michelin starred restaurants or if you fancy going cheap you could go and get a curry in the Balti triangle (where the dish was invented)
Sutton Park
The lickey hills 
The jewellery quarter
That’s just what I can think off the top of my head,sure there is far more if you bother to look.

From someone who rarely goes into town now, that seems a good summary. Brum is a city where a tourist can have a decent weekend, which was probably not the case 20 or 30 years ago. I went to Brum Poly 86-89 and I usually meet up with some of my old mates once a year and the general opinion is that it has improved hugely since then. Obviously it's not in the same league as London and Edinburgh but I reckon it gives most other cities in the UK a run for its money. Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York and Bath are prettier; Liverpool and Bristol probably have more history. Anywhere else better though?
It’s ugly also

(01-13-2018, 01:24 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 11:21 PM)King Astle Wrote:

The Barber institute 
The Ikon Gallery
Soho house museum 
Sutton Park
The lickey hills 
The jewellery quarter

From someone who rarely goes into town now, that seems a good summary. Brum is a city where a tourist can have a decent weekend, which was probably not the case 20 or 30 years ago. I went to Brum Poly 86-89 and I usually meet up with some of my old mates once a year and the general opinion is that it has improved hugely since then. Obviously it's not in the same league as London and Edinburgh but I reckon it gives most other cities in the UK a run for its money. Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York and Bath are prettier; Liverpool and Bristol probably have more history. Anywhere else better though?

Stratford upon Avon?
I only go to Wolverscumton when we play them so it might be a few more years before I tread on energy soil again .
(01-12-2018, 10:12 PM)Foo Fighters Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:11 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote: I like Brum. There are far worse places. It has also improved vastly.

Tell me what is worth seeing in a Brum as a tourist?

Who mentioned tourism?

Gobshite.
(01-12-2018, 11:32 PM)ASOGF Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:56 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:54 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Why does it matter if you’re an tourist? It’s not a shit hole IMO. I’d easily live in Nrum City’s centre.

(01-12-2018, 10:43 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:12 PM)Foo Fighters Wrote: Tell me what is worth seeing in a Brum as a tourist?

No idea. Not thought of that as I'm not a tourist. I love the Soho road, I take my lad to the library and Think tank, I have mates in Sparkbrook. I like the markets and the museum and art gallery. I also have lovely family memories of times spent there.

(01-12-2018, 10:20 PM)Ed_Hopper Wrote: Try the hawthorns

He wouldn't know the way.  Big Grin

Been going since 95, and currently a STH...

Not you you daft cunt.

Big Grin

I fuggin Loffed my yed off when I read that.
The real question here is whether you lot are willing to take the opinion of a man who pays £200 to look like Timmy Mallet seriously when it come to aesthetics?