Booking.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1878 or 1879 ?
Seeing as we have no conclusion on where “baggies” started, nor can we say where “boing boing” started . What chance have we trying to work out what happened 100+ years ago?
Thought this was about the January transfer budget!
(01-12-2018, 08:01 PM)Foo Fighters Wrote: Seeing as we have no conclusion on where “baggies” started,  nor can we say where “boing boing” started . What chance have we trying to work out what happened 100+ years ago?

My theory on the boing is a combination of playing PNE on their plaggy pitch in 1992 &,,,,,,,, 

https://youtu.be/iatYHPCSJTA
(01-12-2018, 05:31 PM)dublinalbion Wrote: The club celebrated it's 125th anniversary in 2004 so it was 1879 back then. I think shortly after that, a researcher found evidence of a match report on a Strollers game in 1878 so that became the new founded date. I never heard of Albion and Strollers being two separate teams and doubt that's true.

(01-12-2018, 05:38 PM)tiptontown Wrote: I think Old Stroller, who posts on here has more info regarding this as he's has done a lot of research into the clubs history.
I think there might be a bit of a dispute whether Strollers were actually linked with Albion, but hopefully OS might be on here to throw a bit more light on this.

I thought I'd bored you all to tears on this subject by now. Here we go again then for the benefit of our new viewers.  Rolleyes

I was the one who, around 1989/90, turned up that Strollers 1878 match report of the game v Hudson's. Until then the earliest known match was in 1879, and it was claimed that that was also a Strollers game, with the club changing its name to Albion in 1881. Looking back at the newspapers of the time it was clear that all matches from 1879 onwards were of Albion, not Strollers, so the starting point of 1879 for the Albion is accurate. 

The moot point is whether or not the 1878 Strollers and the 1879 Albion were a continuous club or two separate entities. Some historians believe they are, some see a break and therefore a divide between Strollers and Albion. Albion's earliest club minutes have not survived to give us a definitive answer, but fortunately there is a first hand testimony of one of our founding players, Harry Bell, who played for both clubs.

In 1912 he gave an interview to the West Bromwich Chronicle about the beginning of West Bromwich Albion, part of which read:

"There was, before the starting of the Albion, a football team in existence called the West Bromwich Strollers, which I joined, and we played in the (Dartmouth) park. In the summer months, we used to play at cricket in the early mornings. Then, the year after the Strollers broke up, we formed the Albion Football Club from that cricket team."

"We had a meeting, and decided to call the new club the Albion. Most of the lads at the time were employed in the works of Messrs George Salter & Co, and our average age was 16 or 17, and it is interesting that some 8 or 9 of the players attended the Overend Wesley Sunday School." 

Most of the reference points from our earliest days have long since gone, but the Overend Wesley Sunday School building is still there, looking tatty and isolated near the corner of Nicholls Street. Dartmouth Park only opened in 1878, adding weight to the theory that Strollers came into being that year.

So, taking from that, the Strollers were little more than a youth team at the time, and half of that line up against Hudsons went on to be involved with the Albion a year later. Does that constitute a contiguous line? It depends how you interpret it. Intriguingly, another youth team called the West Bromwich Strollers was back in existence in the mid 1880s, and this is the team Billy Bassett graduated from to the Albion. Had these any connection to the original Strollers? I've not been able to establish this one way or another.

And there's the evidence you need to make your own minds up.
I have badges etc stating 1879 , from 1981.
But a couple of years ago i read a report that Albion always thought it was 1879. Until someone found a report of a game in November 1878
(01-12-2018, 11:46 PM)Old Stroller Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 05:31 PM)dublinalbion Wrote: The club celebrated it's 125th anniversary in 2004 so it was 1879 back then. I think shortly after that, a researcher found evidence of a match report on a Strollers game in 1878 so that became the new founded date. I never heard of Albion and Strollers being two separate teams and doubt that's true.

(01-12-2018, 05:38 PM)tiptontown Wrote: I think Old Stroller, who posts on here has more info regarding this as he's has done a lot of research into the clubs history.
I think there might be a bit of a dispute whether Strollers were actually linked with Albion, but hopefully OS might be on here to throw a bit more light on this.

I thought I'd bored you all to tears on this subject by now. Here we go again then for the benefit of our new viewers.  Rolleyes

I was the one who, around 1989/90, turned up that Strollers 1878 match report of the game v Hudson's. Until then the earliest known match was in 1879, and it was claimed that that was also a Strollers game, with the club changing its name to Albion in 1881. Looking back at the newspapers of the time it was clear that all matches from 1879 onwards were of Albion, not Strollers, so the starting point of 1879 for the Albion is accurate. 

The moot point is whether or not the 1878 Strollers and the 1879 Albion were a continuous club or two separate entities. Some historians believe they are, some see a break and therefore a divide between Strollers and Albion. Albion's earliest club minutes have not survived to give us a definitive answer, but fortunately there is a first hand testimony of one of our founding players, Harry Bell, who played for both clubs.

In 1912 he gave an interview to the West Bromwich Chronicle about the beginning of West Bromwich Albion, part of which read:

"There was, before the starting of the Albion, a football team in existence called the West Bromwich Strollers, which I joined, and we played in the (Dartmouth) park. In the summer months, we used to play at cricket in the early mornings. Then, the year after the Strollers broke up, we formed the Albion Football Club from that cricket team."

"We had a meeting, and decided to call the new club the Albion. Most of the lads at the time were employed in the works of Messrs George Salter & Co, and our average age was 16 or 17, and it is interesting that some 8 or 9 of the players attended the Overend Wesley Sunday School." 

Most of the reference points from our earliest days have long since gone, but the Overend Wesley Sunday School building is still there, looking tatty and isolated near the corner of Nicholls Street. Dartmouth Park only opened in 1878, adding weight to the theory that Strollers came into being that year.

So, taking from that, the Strollers were little more than a youth team at the time, and half of that line up against Hudsons went on to be involved with the Albion a year later. Does that constitute a contiguous line? It depends how you interpret it. Intriguingly, another youth team called the West Bromwich Strollers was back in existence in the mid 1880s, and this is the team Billy Bassett graduated from to the Albion. Had these any connection to the original Strollers? I've not been able to establish this one way or another.

Interesting. Thanks.
Thank you old stroller ... i aint none the wiser but thank you for taking the time to reply.
(01-12-2018, 11:46 PM)Old Stroller Wrote:

Are you going to compensate me for my retro clothing collection?