Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1878 or 1879 ?
When was the club formed ?
Whilst i was growng up it  always used to be 1879... now it says 1878.
I even own an official club shirt saying 1879.
I also read something on the internet saying that the "strollers" and the "Albion" were infact two seperate teams.
So come on 1878 or 1879 ?
1878 Strollers formed.
http://www.albiontillwedie.co.uk/directo...stats.html
The club celebrated it's 125th anniversary in 2004 so it was 1879 back then. I think shortly after that, a researcher found evidence of a match report on a Strollers game in 1878 so that became the new founded date. I never heard of Albion and Strollers being two separate teams and doubt that's true.
I think Old Stroller, who posts on here has more info regarding this as he's has done a lot of research into the clubs history.
I think there might be a bit of a dispute whether Strollers were actually linked with Albion, but hopefully OS might be on here to throw a bit more light on this.
This is news to me, I always thought it was 1879.

Back in the day, there was even some clothing from the club shop that was branded 1879.

Having said that I was not there 140ish years ago.
still no closer to solving it mate ?
Nope.... hope its 1879 or I've got to change a couple of passwords
(01-12-2018, 06:55 PM)Langleybaggie Wrote: Nope.... hope its 1879 or I've got to change a couple of passwords

Or you could keep it as it is using the cunning ruse that it’s not a significant date so wouldn’t be guessed  Big Grin

(01-12-2018, 05:31 PM)dublinalbion Wrote: The club celebrated it's 125th anniversary in 2004 so it was 1879 back then. I think shortly after that, a researcher found evidence of a match report on a Strollers game in 1878 so that became the new founded date. I never heard of Albion and Strollers being two separate teams and doubt that's true.

Spot on.

On page 6 of the excellent Years Of The Throstle book, it reaffirms that.

And 1,878 editions were printed of the book.