Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Finished my first week back in teaching
Good news WoW.
(01-12-2018, 05:35 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 04:01 PM)RainbowTurnedEastStand Wrote: I feel really sorry for these teachers having the same holiday`s as the kids get and actually getting paid for it

What on earth is going on there? 

I can't even reproduce that piece of punctuation on my keyboard; although it will copy and paste, look: ``
I blame his teachers
Good news, fella. I know from experience the pressures you're under as a teacher. Stay positive and always focus on the good things you achieve each day.

(01-12-2018, 04:01 PM)RainbowTurnedEastStand Wrote: I feel really sorry for these teachers having the same holiday`s as the kids get and actually getting paid for it

Put your money where your mouth is, then. I'd give you a day, tops.
Pleased to hear that you are feeling yourself Tone Big Grin
(01-12-2018, 03:48 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote: Only part-time and my lighter of two weeks but a big step......feeling good!

Well done. As a retired Headteacher I hope everything goes well. Just remember why you went into the job in the first place.
(01-12-2018, 04:55 PM)Donegal Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:48 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote: Only part-time and my lighter of two weeks but a big step......feeling good!

Good man, dig in!

(01-12-2018, 04:04 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote:

Thanks for that but there is a bit more to it.

Unbelievable that people post this 
My teacher ex worked her tits off every evening and weekend as well as a lot of the holidays
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of the Mail and Sun narrative

I think that is the same for quite a few jobs now.
I know a girl who had a breakdown as a Social Worker after dealing with children.
Also a Psychiatric nurse who himself became a patient.
Also, my mate who is a copper with 20+ years tells me some very harrowing stories.
Fair play to anybody doing these jobs as I certainly couldn't!
(01-12-2018, 06:40 PM)Baggy in France Wrote:

Well done. As a retired Headteacher I hope everything goes well. Just remember why you went into the job in the first place.

Tone was drawn into the profession by the police single “don’t stamd so close to me” Big Grin
(01-12-2018, 04:55 PM)Donegal Wrote:

Good man, dig in!

(01-12-2018, 04:04 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote:

Thanks for that but there is a bit more to it.

Unbelievable that people post this 
My teacher ex worked her tits off every evening and weekend as well as a lot of the holidays
Still, don't let the facts get in the way of the Mail and Sun narrative

Exactly. My wife worked as a primary school teacher for 14 years until she quit at Christmas. She started full time but when our children came along  she went part time. Over those 14 years even I as a non teacher can see the change. Although doing 3 days a week in school I would say she was working until 1030 4-5 nights a week on top. There was very little support from above and lack of support and respect from parents. School barely had enough money for pens and often my wife dipped into her own pocket for resources. The pressures placed on her were a. Huge and b. Unrealistic 

She has left to teach functional skills to apprentices (English and maths) She has been there 2 weeks and is a different person completely. She has her evenings back and reckons the workload is 25% that of the school Work. She has taken a salary cut but pro rata is earning more as working an extra day. She said to me the other day “have I been this naive for the past 5 years to think what I was doing was normal?”. It is such a shame as the teaching profession is losing s lot of very good Staff!  I have to credit my wife for having the balls to get out. When she handed her notice in she had no job to go to. That’s how bad it was.

So Rainbow she has sacrificed these great holidays and that should highlight that is how shit the profession can be. 

Kudos to you Wall of Trewick. I hope it works out for you as has been said teaching was and should be a great profession. Sadly for many now it is not!!

This is good news and pleases me.
Good news. I know too how hard the job can be. Worked in primary schools for almost 30 years before throwing a wobbly one day and handing my notice in. New head, stress, ridiculous amounts of nonsensical paperwork etc etc. Hadn't a clue what I was going to do, but set up as a tutor working for myself. Haven't looked back since that day!